Post by Iamdbat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:06 am

Has anyone actually been able to set up a start to finished Opencart 2 website yet? - if so perhaps you would be kind enough to add a link to it so I can actually see that somebody out there has managed this

Post by MarketInSG » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:50 pm

it shouldn't be a problem, there are websites rolling out with OC2 now :) What are the worries you're having now? Perhaps sharing it with us and we can advice you on it.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by Johnathan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm still working on the design (so don't be too critical :) ), but A Trade For A Trade is up and running, using OpenCart 2.0.1.1.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Iamdbat » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:58 am

Only one taker?!!!!

This says it all ...... Opencart Proprietors please take notice!

You see despite Daniels claims of Opencart 2.0 is 'ready' etc .... clearly it isn't ... if it was this post would have been BLASTED on the the forum by now

There are so many simple REAL WORLD improvements that could be made to the basic cart that are ULTIMATELY a requirement for today's online commerce that are simply lacking in Opencart and it would appear and I use the word 'appear' that Daniel etc doesn't really give a whoot.

I accept that OCs bread and butter is extensions ...but that is what they should be EXTENSIONS! not something that you NEED to get a basic site up and selling

OC2 has a long way to go and before I get a ranting reply I would just like to say that so far I for one have spent a small fortune on opencart with a dissapointing return.

I put a lot of that dissapointing return down to the simple fact that the FRONT PAGE is Waaaay to restrictive without the use of thirdparty modules or coding - Templates just don't do it because every friggin extension you buy has to be taylred practically for that template - OC is a mess in my opinion

Post by fido-x » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:27 am

Athough, the "framework" is pretty much the same, OpenCart 2.0 has a different code structure with extra tables in the database and additional fields in some tables. This makes an upgrade path difficult. As a result, a lot of users are sticking with what they've got rather than upgrade.

As for OC 2 websites, my own site (www.fido-x.net) is running on OpenCart 2.0.0.0, although I'm still using the default theme. And, my demo site is running on 2.0.1.1.

If you're looking for other sites using OC 2, try looking at the Live Shops section of the forum. I'm sure you'll find some OC 2 sites there.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by labeshops » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:58 pm

You also have to remember that only a fraction of people that use opencart are active in the forums, so assuming there is only 1 live v2 shop because only 1 person posted theirs is a bad assumption.

If I were starting out my stores today, I would definitely be using version 2. The upgrade issues are the only reason I am not yet. I do have plans to upgrade eventually after installing v2 in a separate directory and tweaking it for my needs first. I'm sure many of us with stable and producing v1.5 stores are thinking the same thing.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by poolpartz » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:44 am

Yes, only a fraction of people are active on these forums. I'm doing the same thing - I have a 1.5 site that's up and running fine right now and I'm working on getting the version 2.0 available for production use. If I had more time, it would have already been done but I'm in no hurry. So far, the testing that I've done it looks really good and I've used vqmod exclusively to support any of the modifications that I've needed so I'm pretty pleased with that.

Post by Iamdbat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:50 am

I think you guys are being a little 'Kind' and ignoring the the 'Reality' of frustrating posts in the forums

That being said it is important to let the developers know that what their offering requires immediate improvement .... it does no harm and is constructive criticism at worst

Post by justcurious » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:50 pm

"Must do better" is not particularly helpful feedback.

You haven't said what basic facilities are missing (in your opinion) from Opencart.

Google Product Feed - Get your products into Google Shopping. Includes a bulk update facility.
Backup Pro - Backup (on demand or scheduled), Restore and Clone your store.
Freestyle Box - Add multiple information boxes on multiple pages of your store. Includes optional "Code Mode".
View my other extensions

Location - UK

Post by Iamdbat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:41 pm

Oh Come ON!!!! are you kidding me - How about the Myriad of non functional tools and bugs in OC2 - Have you even tried OC2? Have you read the forums? - Not helpful? - and your post is?

Post by cwswebdesign » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:07 pm

v 2.0.1.1 is a great platform and I've got a few under development now. You may be looking for a few modules that aren't updated yet but I've seen a lot of progress from developers lately so it's just a matter of time. Now, when I go back to a customers v1.5.x site, I wish it was in 2.0.x because I like it that much more.

Yes, there are still upgrade issues but I believe Q is offering some service for this if you're interested.

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by Iamdbat » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 am

cwswebdesign wrote:v 2.0.1.1 is a great platform and I've got a few under development now. You may be looking for a few modules that aren't updated yet but I've seen a lot of progress from developers lately so it's just a matter of time. Now, when I go back to a customers v1.5.x site, I wish it was in 2.0.x because I like it that much more.

Yes, there are still upgrade issues but I believe Q is offering some service for this if you're interested.

DL
I use the 1.5 series with live successful sites but they took absolutely ages to get right because of the unpoliced quirky module system that Open Cart employs but with regards to OC2 ......

I have a few in development myself but that's just what they are in development ..... now my point is that since the launch of two - according to Daniel "There is no reason why you can't sell through OC2" yahda yahda yahda - however show me someone who actually has a WORKING live site that is up and running and selling with OC2 and I will eat humble pie

So far to me it looks like NOBODY

Post by cwswebdesign » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:53 am

Iamdbat wrote:
cwswebdesign wrote:v 2.0.1.1 is a great platform and I've got a few under development now. You may be looking for a few modules that aren't updated yet but I've seen a lot of progress from developers lately so it's just a matter of time. Now, when I go back to a customers v1.5.x site, I wish it was in 2.0.x because I like it that much more.

DL
I use the 1.5 series with live successful sites but they took absolutely ages to get right because of the unpoliced quirky module system that Open Cart employs but with regards to OC2 ......

I have a few in development myself but that's just what they are in development ..... now my point is that since the launch of two - according to Daniel "There is no reason why you can't sell through OC2" yahda yahda yahda - however show me someone who actually has a WORKING live site that is up and running and selling with OC2 and I will eat humble pie

Here you go:

www.rowdysprout.com

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by Dhaupin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:20 am

This doesnt find tons of sites, but there are def some online. Alot of them look like test stores. This searches for the welford comment in default 2.x theme:

Code: Select all

https://search.nerdydata.com/code/?and_code[]=Theme%20created%20by%20Welford%20Media%20for%20OpenCart%202.0%20www.welfordmedia.co.uk&limit=0,10&rank_min=1&rank_max=1000001
You can also use google. Apparently this one site finds alot too:

Code: Select all

https://www.google.com/#q=%22Theme+created+by+Welford+Media+for+OpenCart+2.0+www.welfordmedia.co.uk%22+-extension/extension+-forum.opencart+-github&start=0&filter=0

https://creadev.org | support@creadev.org - Opencart Extensions, Integrations, & Development. Made in the USA.

Location - PA

Post by MackieeE » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:31 am

Recently had a new Opencart 2.0 Shop opened this week; using the Journal2 Template mind you, although very happily stable.

Post by stclare » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:02 pm

http://www.stclareseeds.com/store/ up and running on Feb 13th with orders coming in!

It may not be the fanciest, but fancy takes time. Our original shopping cart was a commercially built cart and even it had bugs, the company wanted $500 to even check out the bugs that came with their shopping cart. Nice! Real Nice! We just lived with the bugs. They wouldn't even answer simple questions after the first 90 days without buying a $500 support package! Last summer we received notice from them that they were no longer making the cart and that support had ended for all licenses. We decided that we had better look around and see about a different shopping cart, because if we ever had any major bugs show up with our existing cart, we would be out of luck.

After looking around we tried Zen cart, one look at the admin and we knew it was not for us! After searching more we found Opencart, "Ah!, this is more like it". We understand how bugs can be frustrating, but for ourselves we are just happy to have found Opencart and that we can have our own store online. If the people who made Opencart can make such a nice shopping cart, I'm sure they will get the bugs worked out. One thing we love is the user friendly admin, that's worth its weight in gold.

St. Clare Audio Still in it's newborn stage, a major work in progress..

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds Our original business, our current "bread and butter". Learned HTML, CSS, and a little PHP to develop it from scratch ourselves, having never done coding before. Then we discovered the awesomeness of Shopping Carts. :-)

Post by Iamdbat » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:35 am

cwswebdesign wrote:
Iamdbat wrote:

DL

Here you go:

http://www.rowdysprout.com
Thank you for that and I'm glad your site is up and I hope its working well for you but to be honest and I mean this with the greatest respect and charity that one look at your site would cause me to click elsewhere .... or I'm not trying to be a jerk and I'm not trying to be nasty or insulting .... I'm calling a spade a spade when it comes to the implementing of OC2 as an out of the box platform for modern websites. For most of us just like yourself there is nigh on proper control for the look and feel of your site (all by design of course - ie OC answer is to buy one of there affiliated web templates etc .... even that approach to making OC pay is waaaaaayyyy behind in my opinion). My point is that we are being shortchanged ... and I don't want to here that OC is free from anybody - it bloody well isn't!. It costs to set up a site and to get it going in terms of money but leaving aside dollars and change - it costs far more in human resources. Buy a module here and buy a module there nonsense creates a myriad of problems when there is NO structure for compatability. In my mind I'm just stating what I believe the majority of Opencart users are thinking. Sure - it's a tool to get you off the ground but it is by NO means cared for the way it should be by the developers in fact I believe the code and database developement of OC is on the shelf gathering dust when all they have to do is change the model a smidge.
Please don't take what I'm saying as rude .... it's not meant that way as I know the time you have that you have put into your site already but I strongly suspect that it isn't the way you would like it to be.

Post by cwswebdesign » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:10 am

So far to me it looks like NOBODY[/quote]

Here you go:

http://www.rowdysprout.com[/quote]

Thank you for that and I'm glad your site is up and I hope its working well for you but to be honest and I mean this with the greatest respect and charity that one look at your site would cause me to click elsewhere .... or I'm not trying to be a jerk and I'm not trying to be nasty or insulting .... I'm calling a spade a spade when it comes to the implementing of OC2 as an out of the box platform for modern websites. For most of us just like yourself there is nigh on proper control for the look and feel of your site (all by design of course - ie OC answer is to buy one of there affiliated web templates etc .... even that approach to making OC pay is waaaaaayyyy behind in my opinion). My point is that we are being shortchanged ... and I don't want to here that OC is free from anybody - it bloody well isn't!. It costs to set up a site and to get it going in terms of money but leaving aside dollars and change - it costs far more in human resources. Buy a module here and buy a module there nonsense creates a myriad of problems when there is NO structure for compatability. In my mind I'm just stating what I believe the majority of Opencart users are thinking. Sure - it's a tool to get you off the ground but it is by NO means cared for the way it should be by the developers in fact I believe the code and database developement of OC is on the shelf gathering dust when all they have to do is change the model a smidge.
Please don't take what I'm saying as rude .... it's not meant that way as I know the time you have that you have put into your site already but I strongly suspect that it isn't the way you would like it to be.[/quote]

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I didn't build this site to look the way I wanted it to but I built it for the client so it's the way they wanted it to appear. The product is selling very well on this platform (was on a licensed software before) and that's what matters. The client is happy and product is selling.

Best of luck with the decisions you make regarding your store(s).

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by Iamdbat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:40 am

cwswebdesign wrote:I use the 1.5 series with live successful sites but they took absolutely ages to get right because of the unpoliced quirky module system that Open Cart employs but with regards to OC2 ......

Here you go:

http://www.rowdysprout.com[/quote]

Please don't take what I'm saying as rude .... it's not meant that way as I know the time you have that you have put into your site already but I strongly suspect that it isn't the way you would like it to be.[/quote]

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I didn't build this site to look the way I wanted it to but I built it for the client so it's the way they wanted it to appear. The product is selling very well on this platform (was on a licensed software before) and that's what matters. The client is happy and product is selling.

Best of luck with the decisions you make regarding your store(s).[/quote]

Yes for sure .... but the original topic was about OC2 and up and running sites ..... I think it speaks for itself don't you? - I challenge anyone to to demonstrate - THE so called GREAT PLATFORM and be honest about their experience .... not much happening on this thread that's for sure

Post by Tangol » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:46 am

You don't see many stores using OC2 and that's because in it's current state (v2.0.1.1) OC is far from being production ready and also the support you receive for this product is very slim.
Yes, it's ok if you have a small store with 20 or so products, as it's rare that something will prevent you from buying/selling, but if you aim in building something professional and long term, you're in for a rough ride...

The main issues i have with OC right now is the fact that it doesn't have a stable/clear release schedule and with Daniel not supporting developers and even pushing them away.
Daniel is a good coder but with serious attitude problems and from what i can see, he's the only one holding back this project, keeping it from being a well known and even profitable (for him and the module devs) solution.

If you check OCs rivals you'll see that they're not only supporting user and developer feedback, bout also strongly encourage it.
And you don't have to take my word for it, you just have to look at OCs repository - https://github.com/opencart/opencart and compare it with others.

I mean we get a release at the beginning of December which as stated above it's not production ready and that's it...
You can see in the repository that there are about 70 bugs fixed in around 4 months (~100 days) since the release of v2.0.1.1, which translates in a rate lower than 1 bug/day.
So you get what i mean.

PS: Thank God James is back on the project. ;D