Post by Josetxu » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Burt65 wrote:
Could you provide a link to your actual shop running Journal, just to see how bad these problems are...
Our store: rc-innovations.es

We have problems with the server response time, we changed to a VPS 8Gb 8 cores and SSD, but has not improved.

We have reduced the load time of the main page, deducing modules and products, we have removed the blog post module. We have also removed the "revolution banner" and we have set the standard banners.

The amount of products and banners is similar to when we used the default theme. in those times the load of the web is instantaneous.

The main problem now is the load time product page. a product with 1 image and little description, for example:

http://rc-innovations.es/screws-stainle ... arch=screw

The problem of third-party modules are solved thanks to modifications of the authors. but there are still some small errors in the log.

Post by Burt65 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:09 pm

I just checked your site... It took about 2 second to load the main page and about a second an a half to load the bolt page.

I don't really see any major customization to the original theme 10 that could create all these problems. You picture in the manufactures seem quite large compare to the product page and you also have 3 carousel going in the main page. Is everything been cache? The only thing that can increase your loading page time could be the wrong size of the pictures as they all get loaded at once (manufacturer, banners, sliders, products). Also it make a huge difference in loading time if you are using the Google fonts. When you pick the fonts you have three options: Inherit, System and Google. Obviously the Inherit are the fastest to load. Quick view popup took about 2 second again to load and again the picture seem of very high quality.

All module in Journal can be turned on or off. The blog module is not different from any other page as far as loading time, so I really don't get what you mean by "removed".
Personally I would check all the fonts you are using throughout your store and try to use Inherit or System where you can and just keep the Google fonts for the few. Also check your Journal cache and make sure they are all turned on and finally I would check again the picture to make them Internet friendly if they are not already. You web site is boxed but your manufacture slider is not and it goes from side to side of the page taking more resource with it.

I think you just need to fine tuning what you have and two second to load the main page is not that bad considering that you are set at nearly full page width.

As a test, to turn off Journal in Setting theme by loading the default and compare the difference in loading time. I don't think it will be that much different if you have the same amount of stuff going in both themes.

On a complete different note your prices and choice of the RC stuff you are selling are quite good ;)

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by Josetxu » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:53 am

Hi,

We will review the sources, but attached a graph of Google, before installing the Journal theme, the average time is 500ms, and after installing journal theme and OC2.1 load the web is increased considerably.
When the load is slow, we make a clean Jorunal Cache, and give the cleaning button OC changes and refresh. The times improved, but is still high.

The last section of the graph, has improved because we have reduced the brand carousel module, and less amount of products to display on the main page.

Regards

Attachments

Captura.PNG

Captura.PNG (19.92 KiB) Viewed 30267 times

Post by michael2820 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:27 pm

davidbfranks wrote:I think Journal 2 is miles ahead of any theme I've tested (and I've tested a lot)
Not only that, their support is second to none!
I agree, even if I have not used it very much.

--- please reply only with verified data, that is: no 'I think', 'maybe' etc. ---

Location - Denmark ver. 2.1.0.2

Post by michael2820 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Qphoria: Very very good, that you started this many months ago. Very important issue and I am surprised that so few people have written, but do we have an idea about how many OC installations there are and how many % of these are running default theme?

I find it a very important discussion, and the same could be discussed about the extensions.
BUT main problem here is: OC is free, Open Source. Qphoria: you have posted 20.000 times and how much money did you get for that? The problem is really free vs money. I have the past few weeks after upgrading to 2.1. been forced to look for extensions and themes and have bought for maybe 150USD to get what I wanted, but that's another story.

I have spent many many hours searching and googling, clicking, testing. I have found a few very good developers and I am sure I will find more. Why don't you work together with Daniel and make several graduations of OC ? The internet is made for that kind of cooperation, some of you already do it. I have no experience here, but I do know that it exist, GitHub etc.

I would pay 200 USD or maybe more for a good certified and tested version of OC, made by the best people around here. Do what you are good at, but work together !!
and thanks for Opencart - Michael, Denmark

--- please reply only with verified data, that is: no 'I think', 'maybe' etc. ---

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:44 am

---
Last edited by IP_CAM on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by michael2820 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:52 pm

IP_CAM: "But they do it already, as good as they can." Well, then they have a lot to learn, and the question is: Are they ready to learn from people, who know about how you work together. I have looked at Wordpress during the past years. Wordpress is young, already has one billion hits on Google. I gave Prestashop some minutes testing it. Many things are way better in Presta compared to OC. I am saying, that there are some people, who work together much better than the people around OC, and therefore the question is: are they willing to educate themselves in different areas.

It IS not just a matter of coding. Every idiot can learn that, sorry my expression. When it comes to cooperation a lot of human mental and psychological factors come into play. Many people work professional with these things, books are written, courses and education are made etc.

Has there ever been a physical meeting in real life with people interesting in working together, improving on OC ? I cannot find the english word right now, where people gather, some make lecture, open discussions etc. Conference?

It seems to me, when I look at the development of OC, this forum, the documentation etc. I waste a lot of time searching for the information I need. If some people got paid for keeping the information uptodate, I would find what I need much faster and therefore I would be willing to pay some money to those people. It is simple as that. I pay for webhosting to those companies, where I spent little time and get what I want.

To say it in short: Do you want to grow more professional? That is my question. I can live with a no, because I have a lot of experience with OC since 2011, but I just look at Prestashop, Wordpress etc.

Anybody remember, when Google overtook Altavista some years ago. It took about 2 weeks, and Altavista fell down from the heights. And we all know how fast google has expanded and developed in a very short time with many projects. They started with a free product and the found out, how to make money, big money.

There must be some bright very intelligent people in that organisation. What I am saying: some people know how to do it. The question is: Do the OC people want to learn from from Google OR from other successfull people? Or do you think: "We know how to run OC. Nobody should teach me, how to run my life and do things. We are satisfied, how it is and do not want to change our way of doing things." I know, that my writing will provoke some of you, but I have been thru things in life, where I had to look at very personal stuff and the question was: Do I want to get help or go on with a miserable life. I chose to get help and my life is now very different. Just to make a comparison.

with the best intention, regards Michael, Denmark

Post by Daniel » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:00 am

opencart is actually the most popular eCommerce script out there!

well maybe woocommerce over took us recently after WordPress bought it. although im not to sure of the stats. Woocomerce is a to basic bit and is slow. also even with all the caching WordPress does I find it super slow if you have a lot of content. its fine if u sell maybe under 20 products. I have even recommend woocommere to peopel before who just want a basic shop.

Some stats:

Remember to tick the internet box on the right on builtwith.com.

OpenCart
259,391 currently live websites (I know this is a bit higher because we have a file with over 265,000 live stores recorded over the last 2 years, that were checked as still being live)
http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/OpenCart
No. of staff 5
Funding 0 USD!

Magento
218,607 currently live websites
http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/Magento
No. of staff 500+
Funding 180 USD

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/magento#/entity
http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/23/ebay-a ... s-smiling/

why did ebay sell magento if so profitable?

http://www.webshopapps.com/blog/2015/07 ... f-magento/

500 staff? how much do they pay yearly on staff wages? at least 40 million USD a year! What about the cost of the servers? To run magento you require a dedicated server even just to sell one product!

why did magento close down its magento go service and send those customers to bigcommerce?

Prestashop
200,305 currently live websites
http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/PrestaShop
No. of staff around 70 from 150
Funding 16 Million USD

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/prestashop

Can anyone guess which company is the only profitable one?

So michael2820 your idea is to follow prestashop find a lot of investors higher a lot of people and make opencart instantly unprofitable? eventually it will go bankrupt as investors dry up. its assets will be sold off to try to cover the costs back. If the owner can sell it off it will be somebody else problem.

for me and i have already invested the profits in other things and even if opencart for whatever reason ends up like oscommerce i wont ever have to work again and will keep working on opencart whether it's making money or not, or plan up my next open source project.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by michael2820 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:12 am

Daniel: Maybe we should run this discussion in another NEW thread, but short reply: I have read your post fast. I write about human, psychological and mental things. You reply with statistics about quantitative elements. It seems, that you did NOT SEE what I wrote about, and that is OK, but please write if this is the case.

I am NOT writing about money, success etc and what company is the most popular, most successfull etc. Pls read my post again.

Example: you did NOT reply to my question: has there ever been a gathering of OC people in the physical world? You know as much as I do (I could be your father btw) that we waste a lot of time reading in fora and we have NO IDEA who is the person behind the username - maybe a 16 year old schoolboy, maybe a lunatic, maybe someone who "lives" in the forum (I have seen many) and so on.

If I have met you in person, I would probably write differently, but I have not - but I would like to one day.

I would like a forum where users had to identify themselves with documentation!

With best intentions, Michael, Denmark

Post by Daniel » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:14 am

Ok, i have actually added a live chat system to the opencart.com web site. there are to many peopel contacting me when i enable it.

I was thinking about charging people to have live chat on their accounts or even in the OC stores.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by michael2820 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:26 am

Daniel wrote:I was thinking about charging people to have live chat on their accounts or even in the OC stores.
AND did you do it?

Many years ago I made a very successful publishing house of computer booklets in the german market - some germans will know about knowware.de Actually it began in Denmark. I made something clever: I gave away for free download the first 20% of a book and if the person wanted the whole book, go to bookstore or news agent and get the full product.

You could do the same: make a basic OC edition for free - as you do now, but with fewer elements. Make a Premium Edition and a Super Premium Edition or whatever you want to call it - and charge money for it. It is really that simple. When people get something for free, they behave in all kinds of special unexpected ways. When they have to buy, they consider twice and they behave very differently. AND they can expect something.

Just a suggestion and it was free :laugh:
Michael, Denmark.

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:39 am

---
Last edited by IP_CAM on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Burt65 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:25 pm

So it seems to me that everybody agree to the fact, that if Opencart would have come as standard with what Journal theme does (that is a bit more of extra functionality), you Daniel would have my $50 dollars in your pocket instead of me having to give them to Atelier.

I have been watching and using Opencart for few years now. I tried others, but in the end, I always come back.
Things have changed a lot around here, but it looks like there is still so much room for improvements.

The idea of having three Opencart options:
Basic: Free
Standard: $xx.xx
Deluxe: $xx.xx
Mega: $xxx.xx
it's old news. It just never happen. I know. I waited for two years for it. Another great advantage in doing this, it would be that the extension left in the shop would have to be really, really good to survive.

It has been said over and over that the current shop is not really working. Do you seriously expect to make money, when people cannot find the extension they are looking for? And is not like that they are not there... And when they do find them, half of them don't even work...(and I'm not talking about compatibility problems or two extension colliding with each other here, I'm talking about real crap, that should have never been allowed to the there in the first place). As I said in another post. I got used to, but I don't like a bit. And on the other hand, your customer have no a single line of defence against all this happening to them! And when a customer does complain, by using the only form of complain available to them "in the comments", they get delete it. I made a point last year not to buy any more extension from developer that remove the comments only to keep the "nice" one. I have no other way to know if an extension and its developer are good or not. Stars and sales number mean nothing to a lot of customers that can read between the lines...

Forgive me for asking, but what is the point of doing all this and working so much, if in the end your customers have left the building?

You have a handful of good developer that would be probably more than happy to jump on board and take OC to the next level. You know their names... Why not start to have some real fun and make some serious money while doing it right...

Oh and before I forget, I never got the chance to really say Thank you Daniel for your Opencart project.

I had and still having fun while making money...

I don't know why, but I feel much better now... ;D

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:53 am

its not so easy. my time is very limited and its very hard to find capable staff.

we do have lots of plans. opencart cloud which is something we are working on and is close to being ready. we will be vetting all extension that are made available for that.

another problem is the large number of support requests we get. i have staff answering tickets but maybe there is another solution. possibly people can get paid say 5 usd or 10 usd per question, or fix a web site, order install a extension.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by michael2820 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:36 pm

Burt: I agree with most of your writing. I got similar idea like yours about developers etc. but one gets the impression, that you Daniel is quite content about status quo? Thousands of users of OC waste thousands of hours every year, because we cannot find what we are looking for: extensions, solutions to errors, problems, etc. We google, we search the forum etc. and we waste so many hours. Why? Because there is no structure at all in the information about all these things. To say it short: It is NOT professional. I would be happy to pay somebody to help me and I have done this. I do not want to spent hours searching for this and that.

Daniel: You are partly responsible for what you have started with OC. I wrote "partly". The Q is: do you want to help in reducing the time that we users use to find the information or get the help, we are looking for? OR are you satisfied with your situation?

How do you think Microsoft, Apple and Google managed to become huge companies in very few years? They knew how to work professional together. Some americans just know how to do this.

Daniel: a sentence like "my time is limited" is an excuse. It is a matter of priorities, how you use your time.

I ask again: I suggest a meeting, gathering of people to discuss these things. I do not know where you live, but the UK would be fine with me. I asked if you ever had such a meeting, you did not reply. I guess the answer is NO. The Q is: are you interested in spending a weekend on such a meeting, where we discuss how to improve things around OC.

"large number of support requests" - the solution is simple: Let people pay to get help. This is the normal way of life in the culture on this planet right now. If I was a consultant and had more interested customers than I could handle, I simply raise my fee. It is that simple. Just because you give away OC for free, does not mean, that you should deliver support for free !! Many of the extensions are not free, fine.

Daniel ".. and its very hard to find capable staff". No it is not. Google, Microsoft, Apple and others did it. They all started in a garage. The fact is: YOU are not able to find capable staff. Then hire somebody to find good people. I guess there are very many gifted and talented people in the OC community. You just have to WANT to find them. We are right here. You like nobody else has the network. Use it. If you want some help, say so.

OK, we have hijacked a thread about themes, not very good, but if a MOD does not like it, he must interfere. I have not been watching how many people are reading this thread, but I see a few interesting things: Very few people post about such an important topic.

Michael, Denmark

Post by OpenCart Addons » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Daniel wrote:another problem is the large number of support requests we get. i have staff answering tickets but maybe there is another solution
One solution that has been brought up in the past is to send support requests for extensions directly to developers. Right now the Request Support link on the extension page goes to your team.

If the ticket is sent directly to the developer then your team will have more time to focus on other projects and OpenCart specific support requests instead of acting as a middle-man between customers and developers.

I also agree with Burt65 that there should be a proper extension verification process. There are a lot of extensions being sold that just don't work.
Burt65 wrote:It has been said over and over that the current shop is not really working. Do you seriously expect to make money, when people cannot find the extension they are looking for? And is not like that they are not there
I agree, the current search in the extension store needs to be improved. It's such an issue that we even wrote a post on our blog with suggestions for customers to locate what they're searching for. For example, the current search looks at the plural form of a word as a completely separate search term (e.g. theme ≠ themes).

Another issue is when you're browsing the extension store the extensions are loaded at random. For example, if you're browsing the extensions of a specific developer you'll notice that the same extensions will appear on multiple pages. However, this issue appears to go away if you filter extensions based on category.

Cheers,
Joel.

Canada's Leading Expert In OpenCart Development & Certified OpenCart Development Partner Image

Location - Canada

Post by Burt65 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 pm

michael2820 wrote:Burt: I agree with most of your writing. I got similar idea like yours about developers etc. but one gets the impression, that you Daniel is quite content about status quo?

Daniel: a sentence like "my time is limited" is an excuse. It is a matter of priorities, how you use your time.

I ask again: I suggest a meeting, gathering of people to discuss these things. I do not know where you live, but the UK would be fine with me. I asked if you ever had such a meeting, you did not reply. I guess the answer is NO. The Q is: are you interested in spending a weekend on such a meeting, where we discuss how to improve things around OC.

Daniel ".. and its very hard to find capable staff". No it is not.

Michael, Denmark
Hold on for a sec now. You are distorting what I said. I don't blame Daniel for the poor quality of other people work, but if we had a check system in process it wouldn't happen. But Daniel did not write the extensions!

And I don't believe that Daniel saying : "my time is limited" is an excuse. If you spend some time around Opencart Shop, Forum,GitHub, lawyers, family,friends... you'll get to see that Daniel time it is actually very limited.

I also have no interest in meetings (the practical alternative to work), what so ever. I like action and do things. I have been to a meeting once. Four hours of my life that I will never get back.

I also do believe that it is hard to find good people to work, especially in this environment.

You see Michael, every time Daniel try to come down the stairs, this is the kind of welcome he gets.

We need more positive thinking around here, not pointing fingers... Lets work as a team of adults and not like a kindergarten playground.

Location - Oz

Post by michael2820 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:41 pm

Burt and others: Problem with a forum like this: We do not know each other. We only have words and this is not enough for good communication between people. Most of you miss my points: I say that the socalled problems in this community are based or rooted in COMMUNICATION, and communication has to do with mental and often personal psychological issues. Most of you write about what you know about: techn. stuff, computers, this and that.

You can NOT solve communication problem with techn. solutions. This is my point. If you want to improve on this OC environment, you have to deal with those issues. You can go on and on discussion how to solve technical problems and I guess you have been doing this in this forum for years. It does NOT work or help. If all this is new to you, then it is not easy I know.

Communication.
Michael, Denmark

Post by Burt65 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:02 pm

michael2820 wrote:Burt and others: Problem with a forum like this: We do not know each other. We only have words and this is not enough for good communication between people. Most of you miss my points: I say that the socalled problems in this community are based or rooted in COMMUNICATION, and communication has to do with mental and often personal psychological issues. Most of you write about what you know about: techn. stuff, computers, this and that.

You can NOT solve communication problem with techn. solutions. This is my point. If you want to improve on this OC environment, you have to deal with those issues. You can go on and on discussion how to solve technical problems and I guess you have been doing this in this forum for years. It does NOT work or help. If all this is new to you, then it is not easy I know.

Communication.
Michael, Denmark
I'm having a technical problem here. I don't understand your communication. I think I need a technical solution.
(did you see what I just did?) ;D

Sorry Michael but you are off the mark and you really are hijacking the thread. No one is having communication problems here, unless you are, but just managerial decision issues. And we are, talking about it. What are you on about?
I know most of the people here and I really don't need to see their face to have an opinion about them. Can you imagine your life if you were a blind person? Would you want to meet and have a meeting with every single person you encounter, or would you learn to trust your instincts?

Cheers

Location - Oz

Post by michael2820 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:17 pm

I stop.