Post by Etheravion » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 am

Hi,

I'd like to seek advice whether you guys have a better approach to this. Since customers can place orders and make payment anytime, for high volume store, this can be difficult to backup.

For example, if I set a cronjob to backup the database every 1 hour, say at 1PM database has been backup. And there's orders coming in after that. Before the next hourly backup, server got hacked or MYSQL corrupted or for whatever reason it may be that needs to restore the database from the backup. In this case, all the orders happened after 1PM and before the next backup happens will be lost.

It's not efficient to backup the database every 1 second as well. Thus, I'd like to seek opinions here. Thanks for your time.

Post by sw!tch » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:06 pm

Your best bet is to consult with a server administrator. If data is that Time Sensitive then you may want to look into database mirroring and replication, etc. A server administrator would be best to advise you.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Send a PM for Custom Work.
Backup and learn how to recover before you make any changes!

Post by Etheravion » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks for your opinion. I'll look into that.

Post by victorj » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:48 am

I use a cron activated sql backup program that is activated every 10 minutes.
First database is written to a folder outside hosting and after that transfered to my nas servers at office.
So if anything goes wrong i will lose 10 minutes

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by Etheravion » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:34 am

victorj wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:48 am
I use a cron activated sql backup program that is activated every 10 minutes.
First database is written to a folder outside hosting and after that transfered to my nas servers at office.
So if anything goes wrong i will lose 10 minutes
I’m interested to know how you handle the lost orders for the 10 minutes. I’m assuming you are accepting online payment where customers already paid for the orders.

Post by victorj » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:50 pm

At worst at present I would Loose 1 of 2 orders.
Al order details are in emails send to administrator and nu Dash at payment processor, so Easy to recreate these orders.
If volume gets higher time between backups will be shorter.

But as always, if there are no backups things screw up, it seems the more backups you make things start te work without problems.

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by Etheravion » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:30 am

Thanks for the insights. I appreciate it.