Post by matthewbaynham » Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm

Version 3.0.3.2
Default template

If I'm trying to sell some red shoes and they were in stock and the next day they are not in stock. There are two ways of doing things.

Setting the Status of the red shoes to 0.
When a customer looks at my website the red shoes have disappeared. However the Google bot has already read either my Robots.txt or my sitemap.xml and has remember that it was expecting to see a page on the red shoes. So when the Google bot tries to see the red shoes, it gets a 404 error.

I do update my Robots.txt and my sitemap.xml but Google bots seemed to have this issue with 7 products.

The other way of doing things is to leave the status equal to 1 so that these red shoes are active but their stock status is "out of stock". This means that as a customer looks through my website they keep seeing products that are out of stock.

It's not good to be looking at a online shop and you just keep seeing items out of stock, you are likely just to move on to another online shop. But the Google bot would be happy because it's not having 404 errors.

So how can I get the menus to filter out the out of stock, items but for those items to still be there ready for the Google bot to not get a 404 error?

Would I need to rewrite the controller?

Post by straightlight » Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 pm

matthewbaynham wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm
Version 3.0.3.2
Default template

If I'm trying to sell some red shoes and they were in stock and the next day they are not in stock. There are two ways of doing things.

Setting the Status of the red shoes to 0.
When a customer looks at my website the red shoes have disappeared. However the Google bot has already read either my Robots.txt or my sitemap.xml and has remember that it was expecting to see a page on the red shoes. So when the Google bot tries to see the red shoes, it gets a 404 error.

I do update my Robots.txt and my sitemap.xml but Google bots seemed to have this issue with 7 products.

The other way of doing things is to leave the status equal to 1 so that these red shoes are active but their stock status is "out of stock". This means that as a customer looks through my website they keep seeing products that are out of stock.

It's not good to be looking at a online shop and you just keep seeing items out of stock, you are likely just to move on to another online shop. But the Google bot would be happy because it's not having 404 errors.

So how can I get the menus to filter out the out of stock, items but for those items to still be there ready for the Google bot to not get a 404 error?

Would I need to rewrite the controller?
The controller does not need to be re-written. An event or an extension from the Marketplace could achieve this.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Cue4cheap » Wed May 05, 2021 8:46 am

matthewbaynham wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm

Are they permanently out of stock or just temporarily?

If they are just temporarily out of stock I don't see an issue with them being listed as out of stock. Is there something I am missing as an issue with people seeing a product as out of stock?

Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member