Post by tom327 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:10 am

My opencart store (3.0.3.2) is english based, and now I would like to add Spanish language version. To do this I plan to get a Spanish language pack and add that to my website. My understanding is that this will add a Language dropdown menu to the top of my pages that will allow a visitor to select English or Spanish.

My question is how will this affect search engine ranking of my website? Will this be considered duplicate content?
Will it hurt the current google ranking of my pages?

Is it better for the ranking of my current site, to actually set up a new spanish language opencart website, on a different separate domain?
Would that better preserve my current page google rank?

Post by rjcalifornia » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:53 am

tom327 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:10 am
My opencart store (3.0.3.2) is english based, and now I would like to add Spanish language version. To do this I plan to get a Spanish language pack and add that to my website. My understanding is that this will add a Language dropdown menu to the top of my pages that will allow a visitor to select English or Spanish.

My question is how will this affect search engine ranking of my website? Will this be considered duplicate content?
Will it hurt the current google ranking of my pages?
No, If you use same content in different language google will not mark it as duplicate.
Is it better for the ranking of my current site, to actually set up a new spanish language opencart website, on a different separate domain?
Would that better preserve my current page google rank?
Setting up a new site in another language is kinda tricky. You will have to maintain and update two sites instead of one. Usually, it is recommended to use a translation extension to avoid such situation, and you will only worry about the google rank on one site.

A2 Hosting features: Shared Turbo Boost, Managed Warp 1, Unmanaged Hyper 1, and Warp 2 Turbo

Location - Worldwide