Post by siteadvice » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi there,

Just completed my first Opencart site. I'm in love with Opencart and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

But there's one thing that I've been racking my brains over that I can't work out, so I'm sure someone here can give me an idea.

This is an example of what I want to do:

buy one - £2.99
buy four - £10

Seems so simple and yet I'm not sure how to go about it.

At first I added a discount:

Price: £2.99
4 or more £2.50

But that's no good, because then someone can buy five for £12.50. If people want five it should cost them £10 + £2.99.

Then I figured I could add an option - "set of four".

That's better than adding a separate product because I don't like to have duplicate content in the database.

I figured it would get the job done. But then, on further consideration, I realised it just won't work because of stock control.

If I have one version of a product selling four-for-£10 and another version selling one-for-£2.99, then what happens with my stock control? I can make one option cost more than another, but I can't make one option subtract four from stock and the other subtract one.

Or can I?

Hope someone out there has faced this problem and solved it (ideally without too much PHP coding as I have already completed the development stage of the site).

inframes.com Website Design with Opencart, Wordpress, Lucee and bespoke application design and development

Post by JAY6390 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:53 am

Hi

I did a bespoke solution for a client a good while back that did solve this. Basically every option also had a stock to remove number assigned with it, defaulting to one. So you could set it to 4 for the 4 for £10 option and it would subtract that amount when the order completed. Unfortunately this isn't something I ever made into a module and as far as I know it's not one out there either. I'm UK based (North Wales). Feel free to get in touch if you'd like a quote for the work (jay@jaygilford.com)

Kind regards
Jay

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by siteadvice » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks, Jay. That's exactly how it ought to work, really, isn't it?

Maybe it's something that will be considered in a future Opencart release.

I'm not sure if there will be budget for any more development work and I think the client might be happy just to manually correct the stock levels for these products, but I will keep you in mind and contact you if I need to.

inframes.com Website Design with Opencart, Wordpress, Lucee and bespoke application design and development

Post by JAY6390 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi

Well, there should certainly be an option for it sure, but the demand is very small which is why it's not been added before

Kind regards
Jay

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom