Post by scottdog129 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:05 am

I'm finally done with my site and would like some feedback. Its a company I founded in memory of my late brother and his ideas and designs. Its small for now, but I want to make something big out of it. With OC, I have finally created a full-featured store and I'm very pleased!

www.clutchinc.net

Post by TotalWeb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm

I think this is a great looking store and the product designs are also very good. The Day of the Dead t-shirt is just my cup of tea :)

Condolences on the loss of your brother - I am sure he would be very proud of the finished store. Best of luck with it!

Payment Gateway for UK Merchants - PCI Level 1 Compliant - Free OpenCart Module

Accept Credit and Debit cards for less (from just £12.00 per month with 500 transactions included)

Preferential Merchant Account rates from several leading acquiring banks.

Visit http://payments.totalwebsolutions.com/

Location - Stockport, England

Post by TotalWeb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Just a thought - I presume you have heard of the rock band Clutch? Will you need to clear the name for use on clothing (even if nothing to do with the band)? I don't know anything about merchandising/copyright laws and I presume you have done your research but just wanted to point this out.

Accept Credit and Debit cards for less (from just £12.00 per month with 500 transactions included)

Post by butte » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 pm

V. nice, is bound together. SInce it's 1.5.5.1 (admin/log-in), you'll probably want to put the current Full ckeditor.com/download/ package into the ckeditor/ tree (resolves, prevents several problems). Your theme193/ seems to be behaving itself. He would approve.

There are several reasons for not worrying about using the mark. "Clutch" is an unmodified English word, used here in an English-speaking country, not in competition with any band, and is moreover your corporate name, Clutch, Inc., distinctively rendered as a trademark. Being in Sparks, you'll want to put small full cap "TM" beside it to protect it as a mark, and to look forward to when (after a year or more of TM use) you can register it. (Premature use of the encircled R puts an axe through ever registering it, here in the States.) Look into Nevada trademark provisions, several States have them in addition to Federal provisions, and at nominal cost (Federal is expensive, when the time comes).

Guru Member

Post by scottdog129 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:00 am

butte wrote:V. nice, is bound together. SInce it's 1.5.5.1 (admin/log-in), you'll probably want to put the current Full ckeditor.com/download/ package into the ckeditor/ tree (resolves, prevents several problems). Your theme193/ seems to be behaving itself. He would approve.
Thanks everybody. Im not much of a coder and OC has made this very easy. I like that.

In response to the Clutch brand, Im registered as Clutch, Incorporated, LLC and have looked into the name. All is good there. Im not sure what all this means, Butte. Can you clarify, please?

Post by butte » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:30 am

The corporate or LLC name is perforce registered with the Nevada Secretary of State. That, in Nevada, is protected. A like name could be used by someone else in another state, unless you set up in the other 49 states, but there is a practical limit to doing that and even the big corporations ordinarily do not worry about that, unfair competition affords them ample ground for landing as a one-ton brick if need be in what is called a court of competent jurisdiction.

The trademark itself warrants protection across state lines. The little TM gives that. Nevada will probably have its own statutory protections of marks that can be registered with Nevada (marks being marks, unlike registering corporations and other entities, which are paper "persons" -- a mark is not even a paper "person"). The Federal encircled R affords utmost protection but you dare not use that symbol before using the mark, with or without TM, for at least a year beforehand or you'll destroy Federal registration by using that symbol prematurely. You can look at trademark registration information with the Federal government, various attorneys who do those, and Nevada provisions on-line. If Nevada happens not to have them, you can see such provisions for California on-line so that you'll see that part of what I meant.

in California and most other states, corporations and LLCs are two different kinds of entities, so you might have worded that wrong or confused yourself. It is not a good idea for something that is not a corporation as such to say that it is; ditto, as to saying LLC instead. Gotta keep your kinds of paper "persons" straight (corporations, LLCs, associations, partnerships, etc.), it is not trivial.
Last edited by butte on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guru Member

Post by scottdog129 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 am

butte wrote:The corporate or LLC name is perforce registered with the Nevada Secretary of State. That, in Nevada, is protected. A like name could be used by someone else in another state, unless you set up in the other 49 states, but there is a practical limit to doing that and even the big corporations ordinarily do not worry about that, unfair competition affords them ample ground for landing as a one-ton brick if need be in what is called a court of competent jurisdiction.

The trademark itself warrants protection across state lines. The little TM gives that. Nevada will probably have its own statutory protections of marks that can be registered with Nevada (marks being marks, unlike registering corporations and other entities, which are paper "persons" -- a mark is not even a paper "person"). The Federal encircled R affords utmost protection but you dare not use that symbol before using the mark, with or without TM, for at least a year beforehand or you'll destroy Federal registration by using that symbol prematurely. You can look at trademark registration information with the Federal government, various attorneys who do those, and Nevada provisions on-line. If Nevada happens not to have them, you can see such provisions for California on-line so that you'll see that part of what I meant.
Great info!! Thank you! But, I was referring to the section about installing something on the store given that Im on 1.5.5.1??

Post by butte » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:35 am

You posted while I added 3rd para..

On logo, add tiny full cap "TM" beside the mainstay of the logo, either ON the graphic or in small enough type forced to appear immediately beside or under it. On the graphic is probably simplest. For that, OC version doesn't matter, it'll work the same way from 1.5.0.0 (even earlier) onward.

Guru Member

Post by scottdog129 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:55 am

butte wrote:V. nice, is bound together. SInce it's 1.5.5.1 (admin/log-in), you'll probably want to put the current Full ckeditor.com/download/ package into the ckeditor/ tree (resolves, prevents several problems).
Sorry for the confusion. Im talking about this part?

Post by butte » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:07 am

Among others, see http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 83#p427383 and http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 89#p425289 (para. 4). Download Full, replace /admin/view/javascript/ckeditor/ tree with the contents of Full.

Guru Member

Post by scottdog129 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:30 am

AH!! Its the editor within OC, isnt it? I get it now. Thank you!

Post by scottdog129 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:01 am

Got it all installed and updated! Thanks, Butte! :)

Post by scottdog129 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 pm

TotalWeb wrote:I think this is a great looking store and the product designs are also very good. The Day of the Dead t-shirt is just my cup of tea :)

Condolences on the loss of your brother - I am sure he would be very proud of the finished store. Best of luck with it!
Thank you very much!! I appreciate the feedback and the kind words. :)

Post by cwswebdesign » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 am

I like it!

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by nagginwitch » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Something minor, on your main page where you say "Welcome to Clutch..." The font is black on a grey background and a little difficult to read. Tinker with your fonts/colors/size to see if it works better.

Post by butte » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:23 pm

In Firefox I am still seeing what I saw originally, "Welcome to Clutch" in thin black on very light grey clapboards in banner-1-630x378.png, so it was and is easily read. Otherwise, I'd have said something over invisibility for lack of contrast. nagginwitch's browser or settings would seem to have done something with the image (poof or dark?).

Guru Member

Post by TotalWeb » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:00 pm

'Welcome to Clutch...' is fine for me to read also, in Firefox 23.0.1 (1280 x 1024).