Post by Heartcore » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:17 am

Hello folks!

http://heartcore.co

Before we go online soon with about 300 to 1000 products, i'm curious if i did a good job in setting up the store for customers. Since everything works fine when I TEST it, i would love to know what happens if people from everywhere use it :)

Feel free to let me know what you think in a kind and gentle way :)

Heartcore

EDIT: Just to let you know... everyhing there is in german but i figure that you can use it when you're familiar with OC. Currently there are just 15 products online for testing purposes.
Last edited by Heartcore on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by butte » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:06 am

Whoa, whoa, you do NOT want to attract PayPal's attention with a battery of transaction refunds or reversals! Most folks will know to go as far as INTO PayPal, look that landing over, and then hit Cancel to return to you.

Nicely done, ample contrast, conservative, sedate, not bland or blah, and no sea of poke-in-eyes white.

Why logo in English, website auf Deutsch, with no way to switch languages? (Perhaps plural websites will be used, but it seems not.)

I'm seeing a green checkmark but red linked "Spitz- Rundzange 12,5cm wurde dem Warenkorb hinzugefügt." The red catches my attention as a warning color, I initially ignored the small green circle. (My once fluent German is rusty but I can read it -- I still looked in the cart to be sure the cart had something in it.) Suggest moderately dark blue rather than red links.

Sliding all the way up to show me that, yes, I put something into the cart is an inherent annoyance, you might check threads on how to stop that.

Go for it. Just consider retracting the "offer" -- for the sake of your PayPal account's longevity.

Guru Member

Post by Heartcore » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Hello Butte!
Thanks a lot for your kind reply!

You're right in the things you say. That automatic scrolling bothers mee, too. And for the colors of the link, well i really have to change it.

The Logo is english cause we may want to go international after everything is set up in german. I left the ability to switch languages in OC but turned it off, yet.

I'm glad that there isn't more that you mentioned, that makes me feel like i did a good job on the shop :)

And the Paypal-Offering i did here, well i delete it :)

Post by butte » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Little stuff that affects effect.-- Overall, very nice. Handwerk von Herzen, sehr gut.

Link colors and hover colors are essentially guides to navigation, and too much variation detracts from that. Consider the age range of your intended patronage, for potential confusion or frustration; then add bifocal and trifocal eyeglasses. The red seems consistently D06464, so you could start with 6464D0 (or 6464DD) and adjust that to work against both black and grey in the top and menu crossbars. As you're aware the 6464 lends grey-scale at a reasonable but adjustable level, to the XY primary which can be run through A0 through FF. These do not go red when hovered: bottom credits, menu crossbar's flydowns. These have no hover color: footer links, top right Anmeldung / Neuregistrierung. All color behaviors are inconsistent between top dark crossbar and grey menu crossbar, in moving crosswise and down through the flydowns. Buttons are different, yet. Darkening "Hier geht es zur" and "oder" would increase their now marginally adequate legibility.

Payment images bottom center would take less vertical space and become at once uncluttered and individually legible by setting them side by side.

I would enlarge category and product images quite a bit. In most cases images need to be substantially cropped. Are you out to show me white splattered with tiny merchandise or merchandise against white?

Guru Member

Post by dmsims » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:01 pm

On my 1920 monitor I can only see 3 things on home page: Header, static banner and 3d carousel of what ? (specials, featured, latest??)

Make the logo in he header smaller

Less space between static banner and 3d carousel - where the pictures need to be much smaller

Post by butte » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:19 am

dmsims, try hitting Control0 . . . you might have been zoomed.

Guru Member

Post by Heartcore » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 am

Hello dmsims, hello butte!

Thanks for your good advice so far!

I tried to change the site into some of your suggestions.

Each link should have a hover color now. i turned them into white with a grey hover in most cases, some are left red like the menus for example.

social network in footer is bit different now since i added facebook like box.

pictures in category and product list have to have this size cause i like the grid in width with 5 items instead of 4.

i reduced the size of pictures in carousel.

Everybody with a decent monitor should see more than what dmsims described.

@butte: the article pictures are (yet) supposed to be like that cause i tried to achieve the solution, that you can see from the pictures that the products are not all the same size. It always bothers me when i look at product pictures where i can't see some balance between all the products, where a 5mm bead has the same size as the 12cm pliers on the picture. hope i could explain it somehow, since english is not my native language ^^

@ everyone: Please keep up with the good advice if theres anything "unfitting" you see.

Thanks a lot!
Heartcore

Post by butte » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:14 am

Most folks do not need an extreme blowup of pliers but a bead to the same scale as pliers might as well not be there. Photographers do their best to fill the frame with what is supposed to be the image of what is supposed to be the subject for what is supposed to be seeing it. Show me a Boeing and a butterfly at same scale side by side, moreover each copiously surrounded by useless white, mind you, I will wonder why anybody bothered to have shot either of them. Catalog people are not photographers and have the most remarkable ability to wreck a page.

Guru Member

Post by Heartcore » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:22 am

you find it's wrecked as long as theres the white in the product pictures?

Post by dmsims » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:36 am

Keep up the good work - it sounds like I say all negative stuff :)

Picture is bad: http://heartcore.co/verschluss-karabiner

When I add to cart I cannot read all text in light green box near top under header

Also I had difficulty finding the cart at first - it is not obvious

Your email address: a lot of people will simply not understand shop (at) heartcore (.) co

Post by Heartcore » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:49 am

Damn, dmsims, you were too quick :) i was about to change the "Karabiner" picure. Its done by now :)

Link color in green "success" bar (when you put something into cart) is fixed. dark color (against the light green) with darker hover.

mailadress: fixed

cart: working on a solution

Thank you!

Post by butte » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:26 am

No, white has its place, but there is a difference between clipping pictures square in sizes forced into a prefab format where subjects are unnecessarily shrunk, and cropping pictures to be rid of superfluous background so that they play their own roles as images of subjects of actual interest (blank white has no actual interest most of the time). Backgrounds happen for several reasons, they are unavoidable, and very often when product shots are shot a "setup" is staged to accommodate most of what can be done effectively with one focal length at one distance in foreshortened time, at a time before the next round of setup, focal length, and distance in foreshortened time. Most people, let alone for merchadise catalogs, are not going to pay or get what premium product photography commands and does (look at pricey magazine lithography of pricey product photography). White I can buy in a sack in a grocery.

Guru Member

Post by Heartcore » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:54 pm

The scrolling, when you put something into the cart is gone now :)

Post by dmsims » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:20 pm

I am getting a 404 for http://heartcore.co/catalog/view/javasc ... .4.pack.js
(and the css)

Also some text in the cart is not readable:
heartcorecart.png

Heartcore.co cart - heartcorecart.png (92.26 KiB) Viewed 4251 times

Post by Heartcore » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:27 pm

From clicking on what you got this 404?

The white links are fixed into grey.

Thanks for extensive testing!!

Post by dmsims » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Heartcore wrote:From clicking on what you got this 404?
No clicking just loading the home page see:
heartcore404.png

heartcore 404 - heartcore404.png (19.14 KiB) Viewed 4245 times

Post by Heartcore » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Strange. It completely load without error messages on my pc...anyone else sees this error message?
Error reporting is ON in my opencart settings

Post by dmsims » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Heartcore wrote:Strange. It completely load without error messages on my pc...anyone else sees this error message?
Error reporting is ON in my opencart settings
You will not normally see any errors

Those messages come from Firebug extension for Firefox

or you can get same message from Console in Chrome

HTH

Post by Heartcore » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:54 pm

I do have Firebug and it doesn't show me that errors..

It just shows two google apis there that should be loaded from my server instead of google...but also with a "200 OK"

Post by butte » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Heartcore, check your tree for those two files. It's possible that they are missing, are misspelled in head, or have wrong permissions (reset to 644).
Last edited by butte on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guru Member