Post by Hartford » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:26 am

Greetings...

I'm helping my wife set up a store -- not yet open to the public. This is my first attempt at anything like this, and I'm not real tech savvy on things like this. Set up and testing seem to be going OK until hitting a snag using the USPS module. I've tried many things, including reading and trying to work with all the posts I've been able to find on the subject, but I still receive the "Error: shipping method required" message every time.

I went step by step through "Geozones for Dummies"... error message continued.

I've set up an account with the USPS, and plugged in the various name/password info...but I can't even get the checkout process to that point. No choices at all come up for shipping.

I uninstalled the USPS module and carefully followed, step by step, the "Geozones for Dummies" to set up weight-based shipping (thank you...it was written for people just like me!) I set it up exactly as the tutorial outlined and THAT works fine.

However, when I tried to enable the USPS module, it doesn't show up as a shipping option. Weight based shipping is there, but not USPS.

I'd love some help, if anyone has ideas.

store: www.lionslairstainedglass.com/store

it's not complete by any means, and isn't open to the public...but if you see anything amiss please let me know.

Thanks.

Hartford

Post by Hartford » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:36 am

Add to original post...I should have mentioned that we are only interested in shipping in the U.S. -- no international shipping at all.

Hartford

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:30 am

You are running an older version that had a bug. It has been fixed in later versions. Perhaps this will help
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?p=39586#p39586

Administrator

Post by Hartford » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks. I had read that thread and downloaded the 'fix' file. However, after several failed attempts to download and unzip the file -- I kept receiving 'corrupt file' messages -- I gave up and forgot about it.

But I downloaded it again and this time it uncompressed just fine. I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Hart

Post by Hartford » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:00 am

Qphoria,

A couple of other things came to mind concerning the thread you suggested. In that thread I believe you mentioned the module you created for USPS. I think you call it USPS Live, or something similar. If we purchased and installed that would it solve the problem?

Also, I gather from what you wrote that upgrading to 1.4.7 would solve the issue...and perhaps others we haven't yet encountered. I'm completely open to that. But I tried to upgrade to that version a couple of weeks ago and something went terribly wrong...thankfully I had a full backup of the site so I could just reinstall the store and all was OK. It was probably all my fault and due to some mistake I made...but it has made me nervous about trying again!

Hartford

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:23 am

USPS Live was my original mod for it. When people were having problems with the core USPS module, I kept mine up to date. So yes it would fix your issues. But is the usps fix not working for you? That "should" fix the core USPS module as well.. tho I've not spent a lot of time testing that one.

Otherwise, wait til 1.4.8 is out and try the upgrade again. The upgrade.txt is designed to be simple.

Administrator