Post by qcjay » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a module that would be able to pick the closest shipping warehouse to the customer and quote a shipping price using UPS mainly. My problem is that given one location to ship from generates larger shipping amounts for those who live far away from the warehouse. If there was a way to pick the closest warehouse from the customer and ship from there would be ideal. If anyone can think of an existing module or how to approach such a job would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
QCJay

Post by SapporoGuy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Wow, that would be pretty intricate.
1.) use customers address to start measure distance
2.) have all warehouses predefined and measureable
3.) have code make GPS navigational like calculations
4.) have suggested checkout location with alternative locations available
5.) make calculations based on warehouse and shipper
6.) allow customer to over ride, in case of dumb terminal code error
7.) charge based on the new shipping location

I guess you'll need to access google/bing api for mapping data

Probably ends up being cheaper by sticking the customer for a few pence

930sc ... because it is fun!

Post by qcjay » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:23 pm

agreed... i do have a map of warehouse coverage over the US. I could geo zone it and if the customers falls into that geozone the use make a change to the UPS zip code entry within the corresponding warehouse zipcode. Is it possible to change such an entry in real time before it is sent to UPS server for actual shipping charges?

1. Get customer zip code

2. get corresponding warehouse zip code in customer-warehouse geo zone

3. make appropriate change to shipping zip code with corresponding warehouse zip code in UPS module (or any shipping module in general)

4. Calculate actual shipping based on this match and output to customer.

Does this sound feasible?

Thanks SapporoGuy

Post by SapporoGuy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Wow! Your idea sounds more feasible than mine!
I think you could do way much easier.

Sounds like only a few lines of IF THEN calculate.

I not up speed with geo-zones. Will they automatically recognize the zip that is in their zone?

930sc ... because it is fun!

Post by qcjay » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Well I just got word of this zoned map of warehouse coverage just today so if it weren't for that news I would have probably went your your line of attack. Its good to know that I am thinking along the same lines with you though. You would definitely have to add some map services api or it would calculate the distance as the crows fly... hehe. I will post back about how this ends.

Post by qcjay » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:56 pm

to answer your second question.... I would believe so as long as all states are completely covered in a warehouse zone. If there are split states then that is when zip codes are needed. I was incorrect in using zip codes for I currently use states as zones and geo-zones for shipping and taxes. I will simply split the usa shipping geo-zone into 5 different zones and hopefully there are no split states. If I am lucky then my idea should work fine. The only thing I will have a problem with is properly inserting the zipcode of the shipping warehouse into the UPS module once a warehouse geo-zone is found.

Post by wolhausen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Did anyone ever happen to find a fix for this? I am looking to add multiple warehouses then assign each product to a specific warehouse so when a customer orders a item it will calculate the shipping from that warehouse to the customers address. If anyone can help me find something I would appreciate it

Post by Johnathan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:05 pm

Ultimate Shipping can do this, though you have to divide the products up in the extension, either by making Product Groups yourself, or using categories, manufacturers, or attributes. It can also look at any column in the "product" database table, so you could use one of those (like Location) to set up your groups. Once you do that, you can get rates for each group of products, then combine them into a single cost to the customer. It can get rates from other shipping methods, so you can get live UPS/USPS rates, and override their settings so the shipping origin is different for each group. You can see an example of how to do that in the "dropshipping" example here:

https://www.getclearthinking.com/ultimate-shipping

If your rates are only formula-based, not based on live rates like UPS or USPS, then you could potentially use Category & Product-Based Shipping to do the same. It can only group products, categories, or manufacturers, and you'd have to set up the rate formulas yourself, but the principle is the same.

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator