Post by tacobandito » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 pm

I do a lot of OpenCart work, but from time to time I get a non-opencart related goofy idea for a website/web app...

A few months back, I had this idea to live stream tweets w/the #twerk hashtag that also had attached vines. Finally yesterday, I had some time to go ahead and put it together. A few hours later, I added some upvote/downvote, pagination & sorting and it was ready to go live!

...My web design portfolio website gets a few hundred hits a day, but this silly side project got that the first twenty minutes after I posted it around on the internet a bit! I know everyone says sex sells...but they weren't kidding! Still trying to wrap my head around how fast it took off. It's definitely not the next "big thing", but I'm just shaking my head at the analytics report right now!

For those interested, maybe it'll give you an idea for a goofy website/app that does well!

[module] PayPal Pro w/Recurring Profiles FREE
[module] 1 Click "Amazon Style" Checkout w/PayPal Pro FREE
[module] Adjustable PayPal Pro Fee FREE
[module] Add Sample To Cart LITE FREE
The guide to fixing just about everything wrong with OpenCart FREE!
Add INFINITE SCROLL to your homepage for FREE!
Live update product price for FREE!
Dynamic generation of Opencart coupon, FREE!
Hire me

Location - Springfield, MA

Post by labeshops » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:13 am

The only thing that really surprises me about this is that #twerk is still trending!

Nicely done little project.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by kimbo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Tacobandito -Hey, you may want to monitor this ....I clicked on your link and was shocked to see someone masturbating. Not cool. :choke:

kimbo
The Chloelina All Natural Soap Co.
chloelina.com

Post by labeshops » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:10 pm

kimbo wrote:Tacobandito -Hey, you may want to monitor this ....I clicked on your link and was shocked to see someone masturbating. Not cool. :choke:
It is being pulled directly from the vine so yeah people post things like that. You have to expect it now and then. Most are just of people dancing (though some *shouldn't* be lol)

Tacobandito - you should create your code as an app - I would love to do something similar for some topics but have no clue how you managed it.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by tacobandito » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:57 pm

kimbo wrote:Tacobandito -Hey, you may want to monitor this ....I clicked on your link and was shocked to see someone masturbating. Not cool. :choke:
Yeah, that's not surprising, hence the [nsfw] tag. I too was shocked at the stuff people post to vine/twitter. I do moderate, but I just remove stuff w/kids in it where I can, since that's creepy to look at IMO next to said girl masturbating. With updates every 2 seconds, it's hard to block everything, hence the "#uptwerk/#downtwerk" functionality removing a video if it has less than 50 "#uptwerks".
labeshops wrote:The only thing that really surprises me about this is that #twerk is still trending! Nicely done little project.
#twerk for life, labeshops! :laugh:
labeshops wrote:Tacobandito - you should create your code as an app - I would love to do something similar for some topics but have no clue how you managed it.
It actually was much easier than you might have expected. There's a public Twitter API that's very easy to work with, I simply looped through the "attached urls", and required one that included "https://vine.co/" in order to save/display/be shown. You simply need to drop the vine URL into their iframe tag with /embed/simple at the end. I suppose I could release it as an app, but I'd like to improve this to somehow include videos from other sources, and put a few more out myself before I do :D

Hire me

Post by labeshops » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:09 am

Lol easy if you are coder! Not easy for me :)

Only slightly followed what you said!

I'd love to do something like it for Halloween for example though :)

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by labeshops » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:17 am

Good question.

I'd actually be interested in both. The Halloween one for my costume store of course, but I have another idea for a domain I own but don't have a store (or anything) on right now, so... hard to say :)

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by tacobandito » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:20 am

I think I will release it as a OpenCart module, and then eventually as a standalone app when it's improved/polished. It's hard to see what it might be used for as an opencart module, but hey...there's been crazier ideas for modules that have done well I'm sure.

Hire me

Post by labeshops » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:52 pm

I can see "Tweet your best Halloween vines with hashtag #X to be featured on our wall" type thing. And your up and down votes could be used to give a prize to the one that gets the most upvotes :)

Thinking outside the box. :)

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Omar32598 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:36 pm

it's a quick but cheep business strategy...

Post by STN » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:20 pm

I laughed.

Really nice idea.

People love to make fools of themselves so its no surprise you got a good start

Game Trainers

STN