Post by Xsecrets » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:53 am

Just found this little gem the other day.
SMTP4DEV
It sets up a dummy SMTP server on your localhost so you can test email functions, but doesn't actually send any email so you are not running an open relay.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by madimar » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Great advice! I was looking for something similar! I'll give it a try and let you know!
M

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My last mods: Partita IVA e CF | Pro EU VAT Number | Sales Agents | Pricelist Pro

Post by madimar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Guys, maybe a newbie question... I'm currently using filezilla as FTP client. Now I'm looking for an alternative software (possibly freeware) having this feature:
- in a file transfer, rename existing file (with a timestamp or adding a .bak suffix, etc.) when trying to transfer a file with the same name. It sounds to me as a basic, almost standard, feature/option but, even googling and checking online docs of main ftp client softwares, I didn't find anything.

Any clue?

thanks in advance,

M

My last mods: Partita IVA e CF | Pro EU VAT Number | Sales Agents | Pricelist Pro

Post by sevensoft » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:23 pm

http://forum.filezilla-project.org/view ... =1&t=21325

Send mail to author :) I use filezilla and try many ftp client and filezilla is my favorite app :)

Post by Nolanjohnson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 pm

My favorite tool of the trade are:
1. FTP Client: FlashFXP. I just like it
2. Database Tool: SQLyog & WinMySql are a great free clients for your PC. Phpmyadmin of course is a staple of database development as well.
3. Diff Tool: UltraEdit's built in compare utility is best for me. I never really cared for WinMerge or WinDiff. But I do find AptDiff to be an excellent free alternative to UltraEdit's compare.
4. Validator: Well the main one at http://validate.w3.org will check your site for proper validation quickly and correctly.
5. Browser Addon: FireFox Web Development Tool bar. MUST HAVE! For anyone wanting to learn CSS or just see how a simple change will affect a site without having to make actual changes, this is the tool to have.
6. HTML only editor: Kompozer. Its the continuation of the old nvu project and a lot less buggy.
7. General Editors: UltraEdit (commercial) or Notepad++ (free and the closest alternative to UltraEdit IMO)

Post by Crosby » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:22 pm

I use Mac.
Just discovered Text Wrangler, much better than Text Edit in a Mac. It is free.
FTP: I don´t use other that Cyberduck. I don´t know if it is the best or the worst: is the only one I use. Its free.
Screen shots in a Mac?: command+shift+4
Photoshop

Post by Qphoria » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:30 pm

http://www.whynopadlock.com/

Great online site checker tool to see why you have a broken ssl padlock or warnings about "secure and nonsecure items"

Administrator

Post by madimar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm recently using a goog mysql tool to design complex queries:

FlySpeed Sql Query

I'm quite satisfied with it, even with its trial version. Any comment or alternative for graphic design of queries?

Ciao

M

Post by butte » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Text: freeware crimson editor (clean code output, wrappable/unwrappable text without affecting output, practicably useful settings); commercial WordPerfect (primarily for formal text, usually not for code except when there's special need such as practical necessity of manipulating reduced font and enlarged page to see entireties of something being edited and output clean code).

Graphics: freeware PaintDotNet, Gimp, Inkscape; in addition to commercial Corel, Adobe; each has its forte(s).

Transfers and ix/ux permissions: FileZilla Client, WinSCP (depends upon server)

Commands: putty.exe (ix/ux, not for yuks=Win).

Design and testing: Apache, php, mysql, etc. (on Win and on Linux as the real deals, not as lamp, which is more like a set of learning wheels that jam or fall off)

Guru Member

Post by cwswebdesign » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 am

Qphoria wrote:http://www.whynopadlock.com/

Great online site checker tool to see why you have a broken ssl padlock or warnings about "secure and nonsecure items"
I agree. This site has helped out many, many times.

isup.me can be handy too in order to find out if a server is really down or it's just an issue with your local machine.

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by madimar » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:31 pm

Guys, I tried again phped but I'm not able to use it actually and I came back again to codelobster. Codelobster sounds to me much more easier to be set up and easy to use in general to debug. Its free edition is also enough for everyone IMHO.

Has anyone checked both phped and codelobster and can comment on this?

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:40 pm

madimar wrote:Guys, I tried again phped but I'm not able to use it actually and I came back again to codelobster. Codelobster sounds to me much more easier to be set up and easy to use in general to debug. Its free edition is also enough for everyone IMHO.

Has anyone checked both phped and codelobster and can comment on this?

M

I've tried both. PHPED was light years ahead of codelobster when I first tried it... with all the other IDE features.. it is like a full fledged IDE comparable to Visual Studio. Code Lobster is still developing but seemed promising. I could never get the debug to go past index.php on codelobster. PHPEd on the other hand can step through every page with no problem. I'd prefer codelobster since it is free and phped is pricey.. but I love it. I haven't tried code lobster in the past 2 years so maybe it has improved a lot.

Administrator

Post by madimar » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:38 am

Q, With codelobster I just press a button to start the debug session. This launches index.php page but then you can go directly on whatever page to debug without any other action. You just navigate in your browser and you are in a debug session.
With phped I was lost in this need to explicitly call the debug in the URL... Maybe I didn't understand how it worked but I can assure you codelobster was really immediate.
M

Post by john88 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:48 am

butte wrote:Text:

Graphics: freeware PaintDotNet, Gimp, Inkscape; in addition to commercial Corel, Adobe; each has its forte(s).
Which one is the best of these...?
And my friend is really insistent of me to moving to Gimp...any critique?

Post by butte » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Gimp is perfectly good but its routines and you might not get along together, so try several. As for your friend's insistence, YOU will presumably be using the program(s) and YOU need to feel comfortable with any graphics program and choose it yourself for your own reasons; same as your vehicle, spouse, and dog.

Guru Member

Post by madimar » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Paintdotnet and gimp are photoshop replacement. I strongly prefer gimp between them.
Inkscape is a vectorial drawing program, totally different. It is more a coreldraw/illustrator replacement.

M

Sent from my DesireHD.

Post by butte » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 am

You can get all of the several freeware programs, try 'em all, then enjoy your new toys. The freeware programs offer more than just simple basics, and none does everything the same way. Both Adobe's and Corel's program suites amply cover both vector and raster capabilities, virtually no holds barred but at fairly significant cost.

I'd assumed that you'll look at several programs with what you want do accomplish in mind, and that you'll have some basic idea already of vector and raster imaging. You can think of vectors as rays from points deep behind the screen to points on the screen (alike exploded food in a microwave oven), and rasters as line by line machine-gunnning at close range onto the screen (alike monochrome television).

A practical difference between PaintDotNet and Gimp springs from how their memory usages get along with your own machine and operating system. Some of the programs noted cannot consistently convince XP SP3 with speedy chip and big-big ram to leave them alone, but all of the programs noted run smoothly on Vista and subsequent.

If you're brand new to all of this, then starting out you probably won't want to tackle Inkscape, but if for other reasons vectors come easily to you (maybe you're a math or GIS whiz looking for something simple for simple pictures), then you can use it to generate and scale what the machine will render as a scaled raster image, screen-capture that, and use it as a raster image. It is a special tool and accomplishes what alternatives won't; and vice-versa. It does not do ordinary pixel-wise editing, gradients, etc..

If your insistent friend has already chosen your rig, spouse, and dog, then start with Gimp and don't look at anything else or additional.

Guru Member

Post by pedro1993 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:13 am

Well, I'm an Adobe geek! I've invested in getting the full Adobe Suite so I use Dreamweaver to code (and for FTP), Fireworks for templates, Illustrator for vectors and Photoshop on the odd occasion! There's no denying that their software is top notch!

I'll use Notepad++ and Filezilla for some projects as well, but not as often as I used to!

For OpenCart & PHP/MySQL support feel free to PM me :)
Click here for my extentions
Did I help you? Donate here to show support

Location - Glasgow, Scotland

Post by butte » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:07 am

In that one there are two side by side top notches in graphics (sensu lato) -- one top notch with two capable birds in it. Both Adobe and Corel keep an eye on each other. They continually have essentially the same capabilities, whistles and bells, and suites of what also work as standalones. There was a time when Adobe was a pain, every upgrade required showing every bloody disc from the grave, while Corel didn't waste its own or its customers time on that; now Adobe is a bit less a pain, Corel asks to see a (one) qualifying product disc. There's also a difference between Adobe's usual approach to commandeering the bloody machine (Acrobat and Reader are notorious), and Corel's usual approach to just running as presupposed. Their duo is much the same as the Canon-Nikon-Pentax trio, each has spent time at the top with novelties the other two rose to meet, each has produced unsurpassed mechanics and optics, etc., they bob up and down amongst themselves, nowadays all three are designed in Japan, two are still made in Japan, one is made in China (its initials are Nikon). There's also the matter amongst those in whose very names are pricey, no matter how bloated the code or where manufacture went. The classic Chevy-Ford argument will never end (Ford).

The freeware alternatives do not singly match the Adobe and Corel suites, but do offer quicky approaches to various tasks. Having an utterly equipped F-22 is nice but a well masterminded biplane is overall quicker for a brisk crop-dusting. Not unimportant is that the graphics freeware noted takes in and puts out file format FLAVORS that work in each other and in the two leading suites. (Remember when the 40-odd flavors of .tif were often impossible to open as well as to interconvert?)

As for programs that try to handle the entirety of designing websites, and that one way or another bungle or compile beyond redemption, none compares to doing it by eye and by hand. Exceptions must be made, such as for incapacity to do "by hand" C++, etc..

Guru Member