Post by dragos » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:44 pm

I saw that some modules aren't compatible with the latest version of opencart. Wouldn't it be nice to have modules similar to wordpress plugins? I think that you would be a small effort to modify to the core of opencart compared to the its results. This would allow most of the plugins to work with multiple versions of opencart, installation would also be very easy!
Think at a seo plugin that adds keywords, or at a sitemap plugin, or at a sidebar plugin, or at a related products plugin, latest viewed plugin.

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:17 pm

Wordpress is a fully developed platform. OpenCart has gone through a few framework design changes with each version. Until we can get that part of the core stabilized, it will be near impossible to keep things completely 100% backwards compatible. Sometimes contribs are built on bad design and the design needs to change.

v0.8 will likely break a lot more but after the first version, the groundwork should be set and the remaining contribs will hopefully be compatible from that point forward.

Administrator

Post by dragos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:00 am

I can't wait. I first got inlove with magento. Too many resources, too much work to customize. I then started to use prestashop which I find too slow, and ugly coded. Your shop is beautiful, and I hope that the core will be stable soon. After this, if every opencart user would make at least one module and make it available for everyone opencart would be a very powerful tool.
I know it's very hard for you to write code, reply to board messages and also earn money to be able to live.
There's one thing I don't like about the admin panel. You can't select multiple items from a list(eg options list) in order to edit them or delete them.

Please also think at implementing something similar to wordpress hooks. I love wordpress plugins, I find it awesome being able to just upload a plugin file and activate it. No code changes, no file overwriting, compatibility between themes achieved using css.

Keep up the good work and thank you!
Sorry for my english and for being sometimes not very coerent. I'm not a native speaker, it's late and I had a full day.

Post by hm2k » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:19 am

dragos wrote: I can't wait. I first got inlove with magento. Too many resources, too much work to customize. I then started to use prestashop which I find too slow, and ugly coded. Your shop is beautiful, and I hope that the core will be stable soon.
Thanks for the summery of why OpenCart is better:
We have beautiful code, and less dependencies than other leading brands.
:)

UK Web Hosting

Global Moderator

Location - UK

Post by Qphoria » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:02 am

dragos wrote:
There's one thing I don't like about the admin panel. You can't select multiple items from a list(eg options list) in order to edit them or delete them.

Please also think at implementing something similar to wordpress hooks. I love wordpress plugins, I find it awesome being able to just upload a plugin file and activate it. No code changes, no file overwriting, compatibility between themes achieved using css.
Its funny you mentioned those 2 things. Over the past few weeks we have actually been discussing and working at understanding how WP's plugin system works to see if something like that would benefit OpenCart. We've also been planning for an improved list-style for quick edits and deletes. You are at the right place! Just give us some time to get there :)

Administrator