Post by HealthGeek » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:57 am

Hi guys!
I have managed to customize my OpenCart default theme all fine, however my last step is to now ensure that when I enter my website domain url, I am taken straight to my OpenCart home page.

My website is hosted by Hetzner, and I have installed OpenCart into the public_html folder as required by Hetzner.
I have also integrated my Wordpress blog into the public_html/OpenCart/Blog directory. I am successfully toggling between my blog and my OpenCart based on the OpenCart customizations I have done.

Currently I am using Hetzner's SiteBuilder package, which I had originally created my website with. I now want to decommission these and use only the OpenCart pages with my integrated blog pages.
Am stuck at this last last step - please help!

Hetzner support says "After SiteBuilder has been terminated and removed from your hosting account, you would need to either move the OpenCart or Wordpress content to the root of the "public_html", or you would need to change the "Default Page Order". Changing the "Default Page Order" can be done within konsoleH > Webserver Config > Index Manager > Default Page Order.
However, choosing what would need to load by default or ensuring your website loads and functions correctly would be the responsibility of a website developer as this requires website administration, which is a service we do not provide..."

For the life of me I cannot find resources that explain how to find the web page name of the OpenCart default homepage. And I am now stuck :-(

Can anyone advise, how do I go about ensuring my OpenCart homepage is the default landing page ?
Appreciate your help and guidance!
Last edited by straightlight on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Set topic to solved.

Post by straightlight » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:52 am

Welcome to OC forum. Your enquiry can be googled quite easily. However, here's one suggestion you can try: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... ge#p627401

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by HealthGeek » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:02 am

Hi,
Thanks for the response, but unfortunately I am still not sure how to go about this. I have been googling extensively but either cannot find what I'm looking for, or am not understanding how it applies to OpenCart installed as a subfolder on my public_html root.
Had a look at the suggested url, and cannot understand how to apply this, such that OpenCart opens as the default page. I do see that this code sits in the OpenCart/.htaccess.txt.

Would appreciate some guidance on this please.

Many thanks!

Post by straightlight » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:51 pm

HealthGeek wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the response, but unfortunately I am still not sure how to go about this. I have been googling extensively but either cannot find what I'm looking for, or am not understanding how it applies to OpenCart installed as a subfolder on my public_html root.
Had a look at the suggested url, and cannot understand how to apply this, such that OpenCart opens as the default page. I do see that this code sits in the OpenCart/.htaccess.txt.

Would appreciate some guidance on this please.

Many thanks!
The opencart/.htaccess.txt file would need to be renamed to Opencart/.htaccess after making the changes provided on the link above. However, I would still suggest to make a backup of your store before renaming that file.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by HealthGeek » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi Straightlight, thanks for getting back to me :-)
I managed to sort this out, thank goodness!

I uninstalled my Hetzner SiteBuilder package (after taking complete backups of my entire website, and the OpenCart folder for good measure).
Then I updated the .htaccess file that sits on my public_html root directory to contain only this (nb: This is NOT the .htaccess that I have on my OpenCart folder) :
DirectoryIndex
DirectoryIndex /OpenCart/index.php

Now if I google for my website, using http:// or www. or even click on obsolete pages that are cached in google, then I am taken straight to my OpenCart home page, which is exactly what I wanted :-)

So the confusion was in typical websites the homepage is specified as an html, but OpenCart uses php.
Took quite a bit of trial and error but eventually got the syntax right.

If there is anything wrong/dodgy/insecure in what I have done, please let me know! I'm learning as I go along :-)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!