Post by lrubin28 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:54 am

Probably answered a million times, but I don't readily see it...(it would be great if this sort of thing was explained in the documentation...)

I have a product I sell - say for example crystal balls. These come in a dozen sizes, from 5mm to 50mm. Say I have 100 of each size in stock.

If I set up a Product called Crystal Balls, with size options of 5mm, 10mm, 15mm etc everything seems fine. But the high level Category of Crystal Balls shows out of stock - because there aren't any at this higher level. They only exist at the size level. Am I setting these up wrong? What's the correct way? Thanks.

Post by labeshops » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Did you set quantity on each of the options on the product? It shouldn't show out of stock on the main product page if any of the options have quantity.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by lrubin28 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks very much for answering.

I created 1 Product called Crystal Balls, with 0 quantity, 0 price

Then I created 10 'options', 1 for each of the sizes, and each of these has a quantity greater than 0.

If I then go to the main menu, I select Kaleidoscopes>Kaleidoscope Parts>Crystal Balls. So far it looks good. But then when it takes me to Crystal Balls, it shows me the image, with a diagonal banner across the top left saying Out of Stock. I must be doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.

http://www.polymerclayprojects.com/stor ... h=35_37_89

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Post by lrubin28 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:17 pm

oh, I see - you have to set the quantity "1", not to "0". I think that does it! Thanks very much....

Post by labeshops » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:53 pm

Might be something to do with using journal theme. I've never used that one so not sure. Normally, there is no out of stock banner, so that must be either part of the theme or a mod.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by lrubin28 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:16 am

Honestly, I hate to admit it, but this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've started the switch to OC - I originally started with 1.5.something I think. And I vaguely remember this from back then - I think a bunch of small things like this got in my way last time and I just never finished the site. I don't know if it's a holdover from back then, or as you said Journal.

I like OC, and I like the potential that I see for my site - but I have to say, if you're new to these tools it's not all that easy when you hit a roadblock. I hate to be a whiner, but even though Daniel and team say that OC is geared to newbies, I think you have to be a bit more than a newbie. And the documentation doesn't explain simple stuff like this.

Anyway, thank you very much for answering!! The only way I make any progress is when people like you are good enough to answer, so thanks to you and everyone else that takes the time to answer questions. It really is appreciated!

Lary

Post by labeshops » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:15 am

No problem. Out of the box, opencart works fine. It's when you want to change things around and customize things that might cause you an issue, especially when you are new to it or don't know basic coding.

Honestly, I always suggest getting everything on your store fully functional using the built in default theme and no mods before you get into adding extra complexity of theme issues and mods. Then go slowly and only add mods you are 100% sure you MUST have. I cannot tell you how much money and time I wasted on extensions that I no longer use or realized after playing with things for a while I could do it a different way better. It's easy to get the "shiny thing" syndrome with all the stuff you CAN do, but get carried away with things you don't need.

And once you start getting a handle on how opencart works, its pretty easy to tweak a few things here and there yourself, or hire someone to do it for you. Remember customer experience and ease of use is the primary thing to focus on. Keep it simple and clean.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by ocartman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:08 am

I would add a price to your 28mm ball as it is free now.