Post by DrSnake » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 am

When you make a voucher and add cents to it, like $12.50 and you send the email, the email says:

Congratulations, You have received a Gift Certificate worth 12

The $ and cents are missing.

If you can give me a fix, or point me in the general direction (a file), I will try to help out as much as I can.

Now, I am not very good with php at all, but I can fix what I can find. Point me in the right direction on some of these and I will start fixing more. I have a couple installations of 2.3.0.2. for comparisons and clean installs, etc. I like Opencart, but it needs some bug cleaning and these bugs not to be carried forward to new releases. I hope to help, I do have great project management skills.
Last edited by DrSnake on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by DrSnake » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:46 am

I did put in a clean install of 2.3.0.2. and it has the identical error.

Post by DrSnake » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:49 am

BUMP

Post by rgbrewer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am

I was able to duplicate your issue.

Im looking at it, and am a little stumped by it as well. I am not familiar with what this %s is doing in the language file, but I presume that is the problem?

In the meantime, edit catalog\language\en-gb\mail\voucher.php:

$_['text_greeting'] = 'Congratulations, You have received a Gift Certificate worth %s';

to something more palatable... "Congratulations! Someone has sent you a Gift Card!"

Post by DrSnake » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:12 pm

I did change the text, but then they have no idea what amount they have. So right now I have it shut down.

I did read that when someone purchases a gift voucher that no auto email is sent either. Another issue that should be fixed at the same time if possible.

I'm in the process of taking some college courses. When done with that, I may have to take php course.

However, I think the currency.php file may be the real issue. I think it translates currency from like dollars to euros or whatever, then "rebuilds" it, assigning the $ to the from and the number of decimals. That is where the issue may lie.

Post by rgbrewer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:29 am

I looked at it last night and couldn't find the issue.

Another fix would be to only have pre-set amounts available as vouchers... $10, $15, $20, $50, $100 ... or just do some basic validation and only let people buy stuff that ends in $x.00 :P

Post by DrSnake » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 am

You could sell them in store in set amounts, sure. But that is dirty band aid over a gaping wound.

Opencart has some advantages to it over other carts as it has more integration and a better look, but it has a lot of bugs. And the board here lacks personality and urgency. I'd love to help in ways I can as I am adept at project management. I can code, but as an embedded programmer. It will take some time before I can do bigger things in php.

From reading on the web and watching this board, I do think Opencart loses people. Too much of the core needs fixing yet. I even looked back at people who had unanswered questions. Those whose stores were still up most often no longer had Opencart.

Do we have any hobby php coders here who want to hone their skills fixing bugs?

Post by rgbrewer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Feel free to pitch in any time... its a community. If you'd like, shopify plans that include gift card sales start at $1000/year.

Post by DrSnake » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:36 am

But $1000 Shopify accounts doesn't mean open source needs to be buggy. In fact, Opencart is likely 95% there. But the bad 5% is holding it back.

I think version 3.0 should halt at this point. 2.3 should be fixed. I can and certainly would test things. Gather info and pass back to coders. I would keep track of all mods and fixes, help put together a clean version where the base works 99.9% and included extensions both work and aren't "poor" in execution (like sending taxes and shipping as line items to Paypal).

I even bought some paid modules. But I guarantee you many won't because they are afraid they will spend money and never get a working store to their satisfaction. But if the basic shipping module worked well, more people would risk buying the extended functionality for $50.

But look at reality. Gift vouchers is broken, included Paypal Express has both bugs and poor execution. Paypal Standard has some similar issues. Included USPS Shipping has bugs. Right there, lots of people will bail. And on the bugs I have posted about, no one really helps. WTF? Does no one care about these bugs? Who finds them acceptable?

Post by rgbrewer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:51 am

Again, feel free to pitch in any time. If solving your bug was easy, I would have solved it for you.

Post by DrSnake » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Step back from the brink. It isn't about me being able. Good open source code of this complexity depends on a successful community. And if you aren't able, the next guy steps up and fixes it. Someone is reading this that can and I hope they step up. Maybe at this point I can only be a cheerleader. Maybe for the next item I can help test.

I know some of the coders don't like writing code for free, but it is part of open source. However, if you do invest in the base code, you CERTAINLY will sell more of the custom extensions. Take my store. I wanted more USPS shipping options so I talked to the author of the USPS Pro. He added some features I wanted. He told me how to change the code to hold on to the shipping estimate choice. Then he fixed a bug in the pp_express code to match everything else. Then I was able to add accountless purchases for Paypal to pp_express myself. Now, if I can finally fix the no tax bug for the express button (it is weird that I see that question asked years ago, still no resolution and an answer of "use standard") I will have great functionality. However, the base code fixes should make it to the distributed code and then the new, complete module can be sold by the main author and buyers will love it. Win/win/win.