Post by Rainforest » Thu May 27, 2021 12:57 am

We are currently on a cloud hosting package with Siteground.

It appears Siteground is forcing all to adopt PHP 7.4 by end of year. Actually, 7.3 by June 21.

Anyone have experience with 7.4 and opencart 2.3.0.2 with Journal theme 2?

I'm assuming there are other hosts that will allow 7.2 (which we are currently running)

Self Taught Opencart User & Developer Since 2010.

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu May 27, 2021 1:34 am

https://hostinguk.net/ is quite good.

Siteground was good, but recently went downhill, starting with the abandoning of the cPanel, etc.

Having said that, you should seriously consider using the OpenCart framework, with a proper web theme, not the Journal3 framework.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by thekrotek » Thu May 27, 2021 2:08 am

SG is an awful hosting, any other will be better.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by Rainforest » Thu May 27, 2021 4:17 am

thekrotek wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 2:08 am
SG is an awful hosting, any other will be better.
Thank you but do you have a suggestion?

Post by Rainforest » Thu May 27, 2021 4:18 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:34 am
https://hostinguk.net/ is quite good.

Siteground was good, but recently went downhill, starting with the abandoning of the cPanel, etc.

Having said that, you should seriously consider using the OpenCart framework, with a proper web theme, not the Journal3 framework.
Ugh, can't devs allow a Journal theme post without bashing it. :laugh: We get it, you guys don't like Journal theme.

That said, any suggestions on hosts?

Post by paulfeakins » Thu May 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Rainforest wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:18 am
Ugh, can't devs allow a Journal theme post without bashing it. :laugh: We get it, you guys don't like Journal theme.

Well, you have a problem caused by the Journal theme so if you'd have taken their advice you wouldn't have this problem ;)

Anyway, we offer hosting, feel free to get in touch and we won't moan about Journal *too* much.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu May 27, 2021 5:15 pm

You were asking on an OpenCart forum for a webhost recommendation, yet you are using the Journal3 framework, not the OpenCart framework. This has implications on the performance, because the Journal3 framework is much more resource hungry, therefore you'll need a good web server.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Rainforest » Thu May 27, 2021 6:32 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:15 pm
You were asking on an OpenCart forum for a webhost recommendation, yet you are using the Journal3 framework, not the OpenCart framework. This has implications on the performance, because the Journal3 framework is much more resource hungry, therefore you'll need a good web server.
I think you may have totally misunderstood my post.

The topic is: Siteground Hosting Alternative

Let's pretend I didn't use the four letter world (Journal Theme) and was just asking for hosting.

What hosts do you suggest?
I'm curious as it's really tough to weed out real reviews online and ones made by the hosts themselves. Right now our resources is not an issue on our current site. We pay for a cloud server with some good specs. But you are right, that Siteground has gone a bit to the toilet these past years.

Also, since I may be upgrading to 3.x anyway, what "themes" do y'all suggest? Or just use plain old vanilla OC 3

Thanks a bunch.

Post by Rainforest » Thu May 27, 2021 6:33 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:06 pm
Rainforest wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:18 am

Well, you have a problem caused by the Journal theme so if you'd have taken their advice you wouldn't have this problem ;)

Anyway, we offer hosting, feel free to get in touch and we won't moan about Journal *too* much.
Thanks Paul. I'll reach out to check out your offerings

Post by Johnathan » Thu May 27, 2021 10:52 pm

Rainforest wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:32 pm
Also, since I may be upgrading to 3.x anyway, what "themes" do y'all suggest? Or just use plain old vanilla OC 3
Paul's CSS themes are the ones I recommend, because they won't modify any core files like Journal does:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=36706

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=37931

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Rainforest » Fri May 28, 2021 11:51 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:52 pm
Rainforest wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:32 pm
Paul's CSS themes are the ones I recommend, because they won't modify any core files like Journal does:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=36706

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=37931
Thank you!! You are always a great help!

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:08 pm

Have you tried PHP 7.3 to see if it works? I'm not saying to stay with SiteGround but I am wondering if your site would work with 7.3 as there aren't a lot of major differences between 7.2 and 7.3
I get it that it's tough to keep up with what I think are short life cycles for each PHP version yet it's very important to keep updated.

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
2 Week FREE Trial of Astra Firewall and Malware Scanner
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA