Post by Barend » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Version: 3.0.3.6
Theme: Default

Hello,

I have downloaded a module, the most expensive so far for me, and it looks very reliable, well maintained and trustworthy. Never the less... I run into an error and find here (viewtopic.php?f=134&t=216425) that the module want to write files in places it is not allowed.

I am sure you will recommend me to contact the developer of the module, but will this lead to a solution? I doubt it.

What is wisdom in this case? Just upload the files manually?

Regards!
Last edited by Barend on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:34 pm

What Module ? Please link it, to let others know ... ???

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by OSWorX » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Barend wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:52 pm
I am sure you will recommend me to contact the developer of the module, ..
You have already found the correct explaination for this behaviour.
And if the developer is not willing to provide a proper and correct coded Extension, contact the OpenCart Support.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Barend » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:09 am

It is about this module: https://geekodev.com/pdf-invoice-pro

I have entered a support question for the module, I get this tip on their website:
https://support.geekodev.com/knowledgeb ... 94ecf22b91

I think they suggest an other module to override OC security as a solution, or not?

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:35 am

Barend wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:09 am
.. before I 'incriminate' the module
Nothing to incriminate, just following the standard coding practice.

I know from my experience that some developers are 'lazy'.
They publish an Extension für the 2.x branch, then 3.x is published and the guidelines have changed.
Now instead of creating a fully compatible 3.x Extension, they left the code as it is and suggest to install some obstruse and not required additional Extension to override this limit.

Summary of that which ends in some posts here: troubles ...

Well, with OpenCart 4.x the Game will start completely new, curious what these so called "developers" will do then ..

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Barend » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:47 am

For now, I guess I have the choice to go with the module they suggest that bypasses OC security, or I guess I also can install the particular files manually?

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:58 am

Barend wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:47 am
For now, I guess I have the choice to go with the module they suggest that bypasses OC security, or I guess I also can install the particular files manually?
As they state in their FAQ, install is also possible without that Extension described in their "installation manual" ..
But yes, copying the files per FTP will do the same.

p.s..: you wrote that this Extension is "quite so far expensive .."
Well, I know many other Extensions will cost much more, compared to the mass of Extensions this it is expensivier ..
But the moment I pay for an extension such a price (or any), I expect that it will work without any further hacks!

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Barend » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 am

But the moment I pay for an extension such a price (or any), I expect that it will work without any further hacks!
I Agree. So far I am not completely happy with the way this goes. :-\

Post by Barend » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:33 pm

I have a test environment set up, and there I did the procedure the way the module makers suggested, but at the end there is only a message "Access denied" on the page the module should appear.

Sad.

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:18 pm

Barend wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:33 pm
I have a test environment set up, and there I did the procedure the way the module makers suggested, but at the end there is only a message "Access denied" on the page the module should appear.

Sad.
Then:
1. wait for the fix of the developer
or
2. apply this hack

Sorry, but the "hack" eleminates the check of those folders - that's the reason why simply copying the files will not work.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Barend » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Do you mean that copying the files by ftp is not even enough, and the hack-module should also be installed?

[edit] I just tried that (from a clean backup), but that is not working either.

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Guess you should hire a developer you trust to help you.
And if that Extension does not do what it should or cannot be installed an easy and comfortable way, I would want to have my money back.

Edit: all what this "hack" does, it eleminates the check for the allowed folders at install.
But beside this, there is also another check inside the permission function.
Don't know exactly the structure of this strange Extension, but I assume that further problems are related to the permissions.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Barend » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:25 pm

You are right about the rights:

Module support suggested to check all security checks on the Administrator User Group. I checked only the boxes that are about this module and this 'fixed' the problem.

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 pm

When everything works now, please edit 1st post and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject - thx.

Guru Member

Location - Austria