Post by samlf3rd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:23 am

Hello I am having a problem trying to install ship station into our open cart version 2.2.

There is no XML file anywhere in any of the folders in this extension is it possible to install an extension with no xml file?
It apparently will not install as a zip from the back end in the extension manager and it will not install or recognize the folder if I put it in the file structure through FTP either.

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Post by thekrotek » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 am

Check the documentation, contact extension developer.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:39 am

samlf3rd wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:23 am
Hello I am having a problem trying to install ship station into our open cart version 2.2.

There is no XML file anywhere in any of the folders in this extension is it possible to install an extension with no xml file?
It apparently will not install as a zip from the back end in the extension manager and it will not install or recognize the folder if I put it in the file structure through FTP either.

Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Wrong forum section.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by samlf3rd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 am

thekrotek wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 am
Check the documentation, contact extension developer.
I did check the documentation and contacted the developer... thats why i am here........

My question was "is it possible to install an extension without an xml file"?.........

Post by samlf3rd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 am

Does anyone know if its possinle to install an extension without an xml file?

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:06 pm

samlf3rd wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 am
Yes it is possible. One example of an extension without an XML file is the official OpenCart Facebook extension.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:27 pm

samlf3rd wrote:
Yes, of course it is possible. Most of our extensions don't use OCmod, they only use event handlers or new PHP files, therefore they don't need the install.xml file.

Things will change with the upcoming OpenCart 4 where extensions will always include the XML file, but it won't for OCmod, but purely for describing the extension (name, author, version, etc).

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by samlf3rd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:30 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:27 pm
samlf3rd wrote:
Yes, of course it is possible. Most of our extensions don't use OCmod, they only use event handlers or new PHP files, therefore they don't need the install.xml file.

Things will change with the upcoming OpenCart 4 where extensions will always include the XML file, but it won't for OCmod, but purely for describing the extension (name, author, version, etc).
Excellent, and tha k you for the clarification. We work with mostly Joomla and WordPress.
So could you lead me in the right directto figuring out how to get it to install? I have uploaded the folders to the ftp on top level. Do they need to go somewhere else instead? Sorry i am really confused and even Ship Station's tech doesn't know...

Post by OSWorX » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:16 pm

samlf3rd wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:23 am
.. is it possible to install an extension with no xml file ..
Yes.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by OSWorX » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:20 pm

samlf3rd wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:30 pm
So could you lead me in the right directto figuring out how to get it to install? I have uploaded the folders to the ftp on top level. Do they need to go somewhere else instead?
It looks that this extension has no xml-file and no documentation.
Basically a bad developed and distributed extension!
Second, when you have transfered the files (by FTP - which should be NOT the ususal way!), you should be able to call the extension in the backend inside the shipping extensions (don't think that it is under Modules).
There you should be able to click on the green button - which should install it.
Afterwards click the blue button to edit the settings.

samlf3rd wrote:
Sorry i am really confused and even Ship Station's tech doesn't know...
Who made this extension?
What a poor world!

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:29 pm

So could you lead me in the right directto figuring out how to get it to install? I have uploaded the folders to the ftp on top level. Do they need to go somewhere else instead? Sorry i am really confused and even Ship Station's tech doesn't know...
Most extensions can be installed via the admin backend at Extensions > Installer. An extension file name has to end with '.ocmod.zip', it's ZIP file with an required '/upload' folder, and an optional '/install.xml' file.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by samlf3rd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:09 am

OSWorX wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:20 pm
samlf3rd wrote:
So could you lead me in the right directto figuring out how to get it to install? I have uploaded the folders to the ftp on top level. Do they need to go somewhere else instead?
Second, when you have transfered the files (by FTP - which should be NOT the ususal way!), you should be able to call the extension in the backend inside the shipping extensions (don't think that it is under Modules).
There you should be able to click on the green button - which should install it.

samlf3rd wrote:
Who made this extension?
What a poor world!
Exactly! Very poorly made..... ugh
I am familiar with using the backend to install and even uploadibg theough ftp, changujg file permissions and so on. But, there is no xml file. I have tried calling every php page and the index one just says "shipstation not installed".... well no sh.... lol

It looks kike peehaps the version they are handing out looks like probably for a regular php site and not for an opencart installation.

Any ideas how i might get this to install?
It has 2 folders: admin and shipstation...
Index.php and config.php in shipstation folder with controller and model folder...

Post by straightlight » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:50 am

samlf3rd wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:09 am
OSWorX wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:20 pm
samlf3rd wrote:

samlf3rd wrote:
Who made this extension?
What a poor world!
Exactly! Very poorly made..... ugh
I am familiar with using the backend to install and even uploadibg theough ftp, changujg file permissions and so on. But, there is no xml file. I have tried calling every php page and the index one just says "shipstation not installed".... well no sh.... lol

It looks kike peehaps the version they are handing out looks like probably for a regular php site and not for an opencart installation.

Any ideas how i might get this to install?
It has 2 folders: admin and shipstation...
Index.php and config.php in shipstation folder with controller and model folder...
Either contact the extension developer or create a new service request in the Commercial Support section of the forum, or contact me directly via the forum PM, to get this done as a custom job.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON