Post by oc2020 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:20 am

Hello, I'm still very new to OpenCart world so forgive me if this has been asked in this forum before. I installed opencart in my root directory (public_html) and it worked. I got some issues when I installed some extensions (theme specifically) and I may have to re-install OpenCart as a refresh start. What I'm planning to do is to install it in a subfolder that may help with debugging.

For example, my site is www.myshop.com
I'm thinking to install OpenCart under "public_html/opencart3.0.3" but still pointing to the same domain name when we access the site from a browser.
And I can keep this as a fresh start and install another OpenCart under "public_html/opencart_extension_A".The reason I wanted to do this is by configuring a few files, I can switch between these 2 copies of opencart to find out what the problem is of "extension A".

Another question is how can I preserve some data I already input in my current OpenCart (prod info, admin user/password, customer info, etc), so I won't lose any data. I understand the data should saved in database but I just wanted to confirm what files I can copy over when I install OpenCart in my new subfolder.

Thanks in advance!

Post by xxvirusxx » Thu May 28, 2020 1:46 am

oc2020 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:20 am
I got some issues when I installed some extensions (theme specifically) and I may have to re-install OpenCart as a refresh start.
Uninstall the theme.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by oc2020 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:03 am

Unfortunately, the theme couldn't be uninstalled. Probably I didn't buy the right theme, but the way the theme was installed (in their manual) is to uploading a few folders (admin, catalog, etc) to my root directory. I believe it has several extra files uploaded in a manual way rather than installed as a proper OpenCart extension.

Post by xxvirusxx » Thu May 28, 2020 2:44 am

Re-upload admin and catalog (from clean opencart) if you don't have custom modifications then delete theme files from FTP.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by oc2020 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:35 am

Thanks. Maybe I wasn't clear about my question, this is more of a general question when I need to do this as well, like testing with a newer opencart version without mixing the two.