Post by dtountas » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:04 am

Dear Friends,

I am trying to revive an eshop that has been left alone since 2015. The first think i have in mind is to upgrade it to the latest version.

My first question is, does anyone have any past expirience / advice regarding this update.

Can someone direct on how to move data fro the old database to the new one. I do not want to loose Item inventory and customer data.

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:31 am

Well, better invest some time first, to read about such, a lot of Topics and Postings
exist on successful and less successful upgrade attempts. It's not as easy as it might
sound on first view, and if upgrading, then better not to the latest Version available,
or you might end up in plain frustration. Or then, invest a little money, to get it made
by one of the Pro's around here, it would keep you from possibly wasting a lot of time,
without reaching, what you expect to achieve ...
And just be aware, it's not about friends here, it's about generating income, for most
everybody around ... :D
Good Luck, you'll need it ! ;)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by OSWorX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:34 am

dtountas wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:04 am
Dear Friends,

I am trying to revive an eshop that has been left alone since 2015. The first think i have in mind is to upgrade it to the latest version.

My first question is, does anyone have any past expirience / advice regarding this update.

Can someone direct on how to move data fro the old database to the new one. I do not want to loose Item inventory and customer data.
Just before closing daily work: yes, some people are here have experience how to update such an old shop to a current and (quite) stable release.

The most important advices:
1. never use the the update script
2. decide before you start, which target version you want to use, e.g. 3.0.3.6 is not useable, 3.0.3.2 is much better (from the 3-series). 2.3.0.2 from the 2-series.
3. check the extensions you have currently in use, can you update them by yourself, or do you need a professional
4. check the template - current used cannot be used anymore, too many changes. Use the default or buy one compatible for the version you want to use
5. don't use an of those paid update services
6. you will never loose any database data if you convert the content manual

Finally: spend one (1) complete working day for the update task. Slower is better than too fast!

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by straightlight » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:16 am

2. decide before you start, which target version you want to use, e.g. 3.0.3.6 is not useable, 3.0.3.2 is much better (from the 3-series). 2.3.0.2 from the 2-series.
Best to add that v3.0.3.2 release still has this catalog. and admin.language bug as opposed to the v3.0.3.6 release which has been patched.
6. you will never loose any database data if you convert the content manual
Excluding shared servers where the max post size can be quite more limiting than higher server capabilities. Of course, using an automated script to upgrade won't help to exceed that limit in the mean time.

While it shouldn't take more than 2 hours to manually upgrade, from a decent host server:

7 - Don't use modified 3rd party scripts as an alternative solution to handle the platform as a repair tool solution.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by mikeinterserv » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:04 am

3.0.3.6 is not useable

Can you explain that to those of us who have installed and are using a new version of 3.0.3.6

Location - Wales

Post by straightlight » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:15 am

mikeinterserv wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:04 am
3.0.3.6 is not useable

Can you explain that to those of us who have installed and are using a new version of 3.0.3.6
Not useable in what ways?

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by mikeinterserv » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:22 am

I'm quoting OSWorx from above post

Location - Wales

Post by straightlight » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:28 am

mikeinterserv wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:22 am
I'm quoting OSWorx from above post

Ok, no problem. The most suitable solution would be to try the v3.0.3.6 release and report any issues you may encounter with it on the forum if no solutions were posted previously about them.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by mikeinterserv » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 am

I appear to have very few problem with 3.0.3.6 myself thats why I asked why he said it was UNUSABLE

Location - Wales

Post by straightlight » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:00 am

mikeinterserv wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 am
I appear to have very few problem with 3.0.3.6 myself thats why I asked why he said it was UNUSABLE
It just depends on the people using it and how they use it pretty much. That goes the same for almost all releases since the beginning.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by by mona » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:10 am

mikeinterserv wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 am
why I asked why he said it was UNUSABLE
The main really annoying issue with 3.0.3.6 is still an issue with OCMOD and twig files. Which means your front end edits either don’t work or just stop working unexpectedly if they use OCMOD. There are various fixes around and various fixes used. Nevertheless I have ‘gained’ a few clients who still find this an issue with a variety of fixes and the only solution I have found that is guaranteed to work is to go into the modifications tab, clear it and then refresh. As long as you don’t mind doing this once in a while you will be fine.

I personally agree with OSWorX, my favourite of the OC3 family is 3.0.3.2 and OC2 family is 2.0.3.2 also, as is my prerogative. Straighlight has a slightly different interest, but he is correct most of the issues with OC3.0.3.6 have been reported since it has been out for a while and it is advantageous sometimes that developers enjoy finding fault. People will forward you to the fix as and when you may need it.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member