Post by philehutchinson27 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi All,
Please can someone help me out - I am getting really confused and frustrated.
I have a website at https://vintagemagpie.store

I originally had a mobile theme running which was OK but was a bit too slow.

So I bought (webkul ) AMP Extension which I thought would mean that if you visited the website from a mobile device you would see the AMP pages?

But this doesnt happen, I am trying to talk to the devs - but all they keep saying is it will appear in the search results and if someone click on the page they get shown the AMP version?

I understand this - however does this mean I need to have my mobile theme running at the same time so that if anyone visits the site direct they get a version they can use or should they be seeing the AMP Version?

Either way I cannot get a straight answer and its driving me bonkers!

Thanks
Phil
??? ???
Last edited by philehutchinson27 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by straightlight » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:07 pm

philehutchinson27 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:51 pm
Hi All,

So I bought (webkul ) AMP Extension which I thought would mean that if you visited the website from a mobile device you would see the AMP pages?

But this doesnt happen, I am trying to talk to the devs - but all they keep saying is it will appear in the search results and if someone click on the page they get shown the AMP version?

I understand this - however does this mean I need to have my mobile theme running at the same time so that if anyone visits the site direct they get a version they can use or should they be seeing the AMP Version?

Thanks
Phil
??? ???
Then, contact the extension developer to resolve this issue.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by philehutchinson27 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:14 pm

straightlight wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:07 pm
philehutchinson27 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Phil
??? ???
That's the problem.. I am..
But I cannot get a straight answer hence the question.
And your answer does not answer my question on AMP pages?
Thanks

Post by Gergely » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 pm

philehutchinson27 wrote:
That will entirely depend on the module implementation, and they should be able to give you a direct 'yes' or 'no' when you ask them this exact question.
(Most likely: yes, you would need the theme for direct (or not-from-google) visitors, but returning customers could install the PWA version from what I gathered reading the sales pitch.)

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:26 pm

I think the main issue is your poor-quality web theme itself. Any standard-compliant responsive OpenCart web theme should be just fine on mobile devices. But in your case you got too many bloated "features" in your web theme, such as unnecessary javascripts and popups, it makes it a poorer user experience in general.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by straightlight » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:29 pm

philehutchinson27 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:14 pm
straightlight wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:07 pm
philehutchinson27 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Phil
??? ???
That's the problem.. I am..
But I cannot get a straight answer hence the question.

And your answer does not answer my question on AMP pages?
Thanks
Since the extension was purchased, use the Contact Us link from the footer of this site and provide your order ID along with your comment in the form and explain the situation to them involving support from an Opencart partner without response. The account and billing team will take care of it once they get it.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by philehutchinson27 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:25 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:26 pm
I think the main issue is your poor-quality web theme itself. Any standard-compliant responsive OpenCart web theme should be just fine on mobile devices. But in your case you got too many bloated "features" in your web theme, such as unnecessary javascripts and popups, it makes it a poorer user experience in general.
Thanks @JNeuhoff for your very honest assesment of the site ...

I find this is the problem buying themes and components from the OpenCart Marketplace - the theme we bought for desktop was described as 100% responsive for mobile and desktop. Even before we added extra javascript (these are also opencart modules) - for Facebook messenger and a popup to give discounts the site layout on mobile was shocking.

I bought another special mobile theme which is now back on (while i get some sort of answer on AMP) however with a google page speed of 27 for mobile... its shocking ..although the desktop only scores 52.

I am not expert on web tech, I am programmer but in an offline mode only. I can hack php and have done some but understanding how to get sites to load faster and quicker etc is something I dont know much about, so I am reliant on buying or trying / believing what I am told when buying addons to the site.

Some we have bought have been truly amazing and tbh the theme we bought the responsiveness of the support for both desktop and mobile has been good, however when it comes down to why is it slow and how to make it faster - not so.

This is why I looked to replace the mobile theme with AMP - which now I think is probably not the right way.
Best Regards
Phil

Post by philehutchinson27 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:06 pm

I paid the developers to modify the code, it was an extra amount but now it works very fast.