Post by glolar » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:49 am

Hello,

I already have an OpenCart 3.0.2.0 store installed at www.domainA.com/store. I want to use Multi-Store to add a second store (www.domainB.com/store) that uses the same backend and same theme (but with different store logo, different slideshow images, etc). Is this possible?

I know from reading other posts that I need to do the following:

1. purchase/register the second domain (www.domainB.com), then set that second (new) domain's DNS to the first domain's server (or at least, point it's A record to the first domain's server).
2. Add the second domain as a parked domain on the first domain (My host, SiteGround, no longer uses cPanel, but they have other tools to do this). But this step is fuzzy to me. Do I use a Subdomain or an Addon domain? The second store is a completely different domain name.
3. Log into the first store's Admin panel and add the second store using the www.domainB.com/store URL.

From my understanding, I can set which Categories and which products in those Categories will be displayed at the second store (www.domainB.com/store). I assume I can do the same for the first store (storeA.com/store).

So, does that mean that there is no OpenCart installation needed on www.domainB.com/store? The two stores are for two different companies, and will be using the same aftermarket theme, but storeA and storeB will need different slideshow images, different store logo, etc.

So I am confused as to how I accomplish this. Before someone gets mad at me for not reading the current posts on this subject, I already have. I found info to get me almost there, but didn't answer all of my questions.

Are there other gotcha's I need to watch out for? For example, special .htaccess entries to accomplish this? And what about the config.php settings that point to the DIR_STORAGE directory?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Larry

Increase Your Child's I.Q.
iPad Wallpapers
Turtle & Tortoise Screen Savers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by ADD Creative » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:53 pm

You don't need to install a different version if you just want one admin interface. When you add the domain you need to make sure the second domain points to the same web root folder in your hosting. In cPanel this would be a domain alias, not a subdomain or addon.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by glolar » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:17 pm

ADD Creative wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:53 pm
You don't need to install a different version if you just want one admin interface. When you add the domain you need to make sure the second domain points to the same web root folder in your hosting. In cPanel this would be a domain alias, not a subdomain or addon.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I know all that. I know how the back end works to allow me to use ONE admin panel to add categories and products, and then specify which categories and products will appear on which domain. But what if CompanyA wants different images in the slideshow for example? What if CompanyB doesn't want a Blog section on their site, but CompanyA does? What if CompanyA wants a One Page Checkout extension installed, but CompanyB doesn't? Do I have to add the same theme twice, then update only one of the installed themes? Really confused about this part, so hoping for some further enlightenment.

Thanks.

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by ADD Creative » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:27 pm

You can set different layouts for each store. As for blogs and one page checkouts, that's down to the extensions. You would need to ask the developer if their extension allows different setting for each store.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:37 pm

Basically, OpenCart supports the multi-store scenario, but it has some limitations with regards to some extensions. For example, not every blog extension is multi-store capable. If your current blog extension doesn't support multi-store, then you could use our CMS extension which will allow the publishing of articles for individual store_ids.

You may also want to consider the Creating a Multi-Store documentation for further advise.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by glolar » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:02 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:37 pm
Basically, OpenCart supports the multi-store scenario, but it has some limitations with regards to some extensions. For example, not every blog extension is multi-store capable. If your current blog extension doesn't support multi-store, then you could use our CMS extension which will allow the publishing of articles for individual store_ids.

You may also want to consider the Creating a Multi-Store documentation for further advise.
Yes, I already saw the Creating a Multi-Store documentation. Explains how the back end works, but really doesn't say anything about the front end. I saw a post earlier (while doing my research on Multi-Store), and someone said they had 30 different stores in his Multi-Store admin, and gave a list of links. I checked some of them out, and there is no way he is using the same theme for each store, and I see in the admin where you can assign different themes to your separate stores, so I guess that's how he does it. My two domains need to use the same theme, so I guess I can select the same theme for both stores. I can see in the Layout editor where there is a Store dropdown to select the store, so I guess that would be the way to go. Sounds like an awful lot of work. Looks like it would be easier to do Multi-Store if each store was assigned a DIFFERENT theme.

Will definitely check out your CMS extension. Thanks.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by glolar » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:04 pm

ADD Creative wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:27 pm
You can set different layouts for each store. As for blogs and one page checkouts, that's down to the extensions. You would need to ask the developer if their extension allows different setting for each store.
Thanks, I see now in the Admin where you can specify the store for each layout.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA