Post by alaskaberries » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 am

I use maintenance mode when I am making changes to my store. I just purchased a "theme" to use instead of my default one. I left the system setting in maint mode, switched from default theme to newly purchased them, and proceeded to edit and reconfigure my new theme. I assumed that since I was in maint. mode that no one but me would see what I was working on.
After a bit, i used my tablet to check my site and lo and behold there was the new theme I was editing. No maint screen at all. I went back in and switched the theme back to default.
I searched the files of the new them to see if their was a maint php file and there wasn't. My original maint message is still in the original folder store,catalog,language,english,common,maintenance.

What must I do to keep my store in maint mode while I reconfigure my new theme?

Post by cwswebdesign » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:38 am

Were you also logged into admin on your tablet? You should only see the main store if you're logged in and anyone not logged into admin will see the maintenance mode. If you want to post your URL and put it in maintenance mode, I can check if it's working from here.

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by alaskaberries » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 am

I was not logged into as admin on either my tablet or iphone. For some reason my personal maint message appears and functions properly when I am on the default template, however, when I switch over to the new theme, the entire them shows up to anyone who views my site even though maint mode it is selected. I tried it on 2 other computers just to check.
Until I can reconfigure my new theme safely, I have put my entire site on "construction".
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Post by cwswebdesign » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:12 am

alaskaberries wrote:I was not logged into as admin on either my tablet or iphone. For some reason my personal maint message appears and functions properly when I am on the default template, however, when I switch over to the new theme, the entire them shows up to anyone who views my site even though maint mode it is selected. I tried it on 2 other computers just to check.
Until I can reconfigure my new theme safely, I have put my entire site on "construction".
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

It sounds like the theme isn't coded properly or files aren't installed.

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by alaskaberries » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:43 pm

It sounds like the theme isn't coded properly or files aren't installed.
I sure hope this isn't the case. This theme was highly rated in the extension store.

I went in and disabled all of the modules that came with the theme and now I can see my maint. message. If I go back and enable any of the modules that came with the theme, then they appear on my maint page. I am also trying to communicate with their vendor but their is a language barrier.

Post by butte » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:25 am

Forum posts may be a better indication of reliability than Comments or Ratings are of whether it's pretty.

You can send a fresh set of theme files up to correct any files corrupted by raw chance in ftp.

IF the theme does not stay in the view/theme/ tree, then it might well have messed up Maintenance mode. Check the theme Comments for that and ask its author. You might also Search for the combination of just themename maintenance.

Guru Member

Post by alaskaberries » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 am

I did what you suggested and re uploaded the theme through ftp. Still have issues. Sad to because I really like this theme. Still waiting to hear back from the vendor. Hope someone can fix this because it is beyond me.

Post by butte » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:30 am

Fee themes are usually supported, free often not, so give your fee theme author time to get back to you.

Guru Member

Post by alaskaberries » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 am

This one only cost $40 and they do say they have support. Only problem is there appears to be a language barrier. If I am interpreting their response correctly, they say they want me to set it up on a test domain so they can check it.

Having never have done that, can someone tell me if this is correct.

1. Add a subdomain. such as test.mydomain
2. Install Opencart in new subdomain
3. Install vqmod in new subdomain
4. Install new theme and modules
5. Assign a new ftp account solely for the new subdomain.
6. Send the login and pw info thru the trouble ticket.

Does this sound the correct way to do this in order to allow the theme editor a chance to correct the problem? Any other measures I need to take?

Post by butte » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:48 pm

That is not unreasonable, as a means of seeing how the actual server behaves. You can easily set in the host control panel an ftp account that goes ONLY to test.subdomain/.

However, with a language barrier and the basic problem being so basic as to upend a longstanding default behavior of OC, that seems counterproductive. Me, I would dump it for another theme.

Guru Member