Post by alaskaberries » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:22 am

After reading the FAQ on basic security measures, it mentions to use htacesss and deny all, only allow your ip. The problem for me is that my ip is always changing. What do the rest of you do that utilizes this method?
Last edited by alaskaberries on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by butte » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 am

You can peruse your cumulative array of addresses and allow a shared portion. The addresses will be quad-decimal numbers, nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn, and you can deny or allow portions (spans), such as by aaa.bbb.ccc if all of yours vary only in the last .ddd part. That will work where your ISP has one or more blocks of addresses and rotates subscribers such as you through the block(s).

You can use a dns service that tracks your connection and provides you with a constant one. Some of those are free, some require a modest fee. That works well enough where your address might vary wildly each time you connect or where your ISP uses a wide array of address blocks.

You can password the admin directory so that in order to see the admin log-in screen anyone must first satisfy a server challenge for user/pass. Do not use the same user/pass for both.

Guru Member

Post by alaskaberries » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:03 pm

Thank you butte. After reviewing your comments, I signed up with a noip account. I'll plug the host name in there and and will feel a little more secure. I also took your advice on pw protecting the admin account. Thanks again, you are always very helpful:)

Post by butte » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Welcome. Good choice; that particular outfit has been around for a very long time. Go ahead and edit your opening title Solved, after you've seen the service work.

Guru Member