Post by sethioz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:40 am

Hi, I have opencart 1.5.2.1, and before someone tells me to upgrade - NO! Because I have custom theme and settings that I have spent years on.

I run it on VPS and for a long time I had issues with IPN, because paypal no longer accepts below TLS 1.2. It wasn't a big issue, I just had to manually mark each order as complete. They showed up with "pending" status. I'm using paypal standard payment module.

So I finally updated my server so it now has TLS 1.2 and 1.3 enabled, but without changing anything in opencart, now all my orders go into "missing orders". Only thing I can think of, is that it's because of IPN, but I have no idea what could be the issue. I checked in paypal IPN history and it says "retrying".

I also have cloudflare enabled, but I made a rule to allow all IPN (IP filters, paypal specifically sent me email with all of their IPs they use for IPN), so that's not an issue for sure (in cloudflare filters, i can see that IPN is allowed through without any captcha or other challenges).
Furthermore as I said, before without any firewall settings on cloudflare, orders still went thru with "pending" status, but now ALL orders end up in "missing orders". I know what missing orders means and NO it's not matter of order not going thru or being disrupted, because payment has been made on paypal, money is there, but order is still under "missing orders".
Also to clear things up even further, back when paypal still accepted below TLS 1.2, I had cloudflare enabled and orders went through fine and got marked as "complete" after payment was made, so issue is with IPN 100%, I just don't know where .. because I haven't made any changes to my opencart, only factor is that about 2 years ago paypal stopped accepting below TLS 1.2 and then all my orders went thru with "pending" status, but now after I updated my server to use TLS 1.2 and 1.3, all orders go into missing orders.

It would be great help if anyone could offer any solutions for this. Please don't ask me to update opencart, it's out of the question. I have lot of old good modules that no longer exist for later versions + lot of time has gone into customizing the layout, colors, images, vqmod ..etc ..etc.

Note - I might remember wrong, but when I first looked it up on google (about TLS upgrade), then there were some topics saying that I also need to upgrade the paypal payment module, if that's the case, where do I get the update for the current paypal payment module? Thanks.

Post by ADD Creative » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:07 am

Have you checked both your OpenCart and PHP error logs for related errors?
Have you checked your web access log to see if the IPN URL (/index.php?route=payment/pp_standard/callback) is in there with status code 200?
Have you switch on Debug Mode in the module and looked at the data in your error log?

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by sethioz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:22 am

ADD Creative wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:07 am
Have you checked both your OpenCart and PHP error logs for related errors?
Have you checked your web access log to see if the IPN URL (/index.php?route=payment/pp_standard/callback) is in there with status code 200?
Have you switch on Debug Mode in the module and looked at the data in your error log?
Yes the callback is there "index.php?route=payment/pp_standard/callback" however http response is 500.
I don't keep logs enabled, can you be more specific on how to enable these logs?

Could it be because my website also has TLS 1.0 and 1.1 enabled? Somewhere I heard that having them enabled could cause TLS 1.2 and 1.3 from working correctly. I have Debian 6, so I don't even know how to disable them. All the "guides" I find on google use commands that my server doesn't recognize, such as "SSLProtocol".
Thanks.

EDIT: nvm, it could still be TLS issue, because I think I'm using Cloudflare's TLS .. BUT it still doesn't explain why after messing with server updates (apt-get update in server) it started putting orders into missing orders instead of "pending".
Note that I MUST have cloudflare, my site gets 2-3 million spam requests a month, without cloudflare there would be far too much spam.

Post by ADD Creative » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:39 pm

You PHP curl need to be configured correctly for TLS to connect to PayPal after the callback. This is different to the Cloudflare or your servers TLS/SSL certificate.

You are getting a 500 server error so you need to look in you PHP error log to see the what the actual error is. The 500 server error will stop execution of the callback, which is why the order gets stuck in missing orders.

Use the following in a .php file and check that 'log_errors' is on and look for 'error_log' to see name of the log. By default it's error_log in the same directory as your application.

Code: Select all

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom