Post by chrisb123 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 am

Hi,

It always seems to be the case that the last thing you check on a website always is the one that causes your the most trouble, just at the point of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now I have most of my products on my development site,I have been running through some user experience tests to see what the customers journey will be like, and guess what, Opencarts current search functionality is pretty naff to be honest. I noticed that manufacturer names cannot be found, which is disappointing, but never mind I thought maybe I can can just search the product description (even though the query will take an age to return the results), wrong, that won't work either,as highlighted on GitHub by AddCreative:

https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/165

Any manufacturer names that have been captialsed will not be found (All of them in my case), so that is that theory out of the window. I deem Opencart to be one of the more mature opensource projects, yet the core functionality of the search is rather lacking. The search functionality on any eCommerce website is the absolute foundation for the customer to find the products they want. Please, please, please can this be looked at as a priority, I've even looked for an extension to see if someone has a decent work around but it doesn't seem so.

Opencart is great project, probably the best non commercial shopping cart that exists, I really don't want to abandon it on such a small and almost trivial matter :-(

Chris

Post by Avvici » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:00 am

This is worth every penny:

http://www.getclearthinking.com/smart-search

Yes, opencart is lacking in default search. It's a known fact :)

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by chrisb123 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:58 am

avvici,

Cheers for the recommend, I purchased the module and you are right, possibly the best extension I have purchased to date.

I agree worth every penny

Chris

Post by Avvici » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Told ya :o

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC