Post by photronics » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 am

Hi, I've played around quite a lot with Opencart so I kind of know my way around. I figured out last year that you can create a completely custom homepage by enabling a module and pasting custom code over the tpl file which is what I'm trying to do again but the files seem to be missing from the free 'light-tech' template. It all still seems to work error free though, however this may not be the case when I'm finished and trying to accept payments.

I tried copy pasting the default tpl's into the templates folder where they should have been but if I edit the slideshow, nothing happens. Am I missing a trick here? Shall I re-download it?

Version 1.5.4

*Update*

Just tried it with the information.tpl and it works fine but the question now is it still stable and secure since I copy pasted the default tpl's in?

Thanks,

Nick

Post by justinv » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:40 am

OpenCart uses a template override system, so any template files that don't exist in a theme automatically fall back to use the default theme template files. Each theme only needs to override the files that differ from the default theme, so you could make a significantly different theme with just a css file, header.tpl and footer.tpl - that's all it would take. The less number of files a theme has generally indicates that it will work better with other modules and customizations. More files means a greater variance from the default theme internally.

Documentation: OpenCart User Guide
Mods: Total Import PRO | CSV Import PRO | Ecom Tracking | Any Feed | Autosuggest | OpenCart CDN

Post by photronics » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Ok lovely, thanks.