Post by Dutch Pride Code » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:13 pm

OC 3.0.3.2

Hi all,

Now that our store starts selling more, I've discovered one very important missing function. When running on low stock, the first thing a store owner would do is order new stock. Now in OpenCart you can see how much items are on stock, but not how much items are on stock soon! As a store owner I am constantly ordering new stock while items are being sold to customers, but I can't remember which stock items I have already ordered.

The problem occurs when an item has (for example) 2 left on stock. I start by ordering 8 new to bring the number back to 10. In the mean time customers have placed new orders and the previously mentioned 2 items on stock is now set to 0 on stock. Plus a bunch of other items that were previously available are now low on stock as well. I can't remember which low stock items I have already ordered and which not, causing some items to remain on 0 stock for a longer period (because I did not order them) and causing other items perhaps to be ordered twice the amount (because I thought they were not ordered but they were).

My solution would be this:
A small number saying (for example) +8 next to the stock number in the admin panel list of products. This number is not visible to customers on the front-end but in the admin panel you can see how much new stock you have ordered. When the new stock arrives you can simply click an "add stock" button or something to add the newly arrived items to stock... and in the product options you can set newly ordered stock as well! This would make it a lot easier for store owners to meet the customer demands and keep track of stock.

For now the entire stock count in admin panel is rendered useless because I still have to manually keep track of stock using an excel sheet. It's only useful to show stock numbers to customers on the front-end.
Last edited by Dutch Pride Code on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:27 pm

One Sample, more such Extensions might exist:
Admin low stock alert
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=33467

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by cyclops12 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:50 pm

Just thinking out loud....
What happens if you order 8 then +8 appears in admin but you only get sent 7 for some reason, this button that you want to use to add to stock would have to know how many actually arrive
It would also need to reset every time you add to the stock otherwise the +(number) would keep incrementing
Seems a good idea but a lot more involved than you might think

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:19 pm

cyclops12 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:50 pm
What happens if you order 8 then +8 appears in admin but you only get sent 7 for some reason, this button that you want to use to add to stock would have to know how many actually arrive
It would also need to reset every time you add to the stock otherwise the +(number) would keep incrementing
There has been a + 2 parameter added as a fix on the master branch recently. Perhaps this is what you're referring to. Older OC versions don't have this fix.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Dutch Pride Code » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:47 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:27 pm
Admin low stock alert
Thanks, but this is a low stock alert plugin. What I'm really looking for is a way to keep track of all the new stock items that I have ordered at the manufacturer or wholesale store, that are currently being shipped and therefore are not on stock yet.
cyclops12 wrote:
I don't know how other countries handle this, but I always get an invoice or packing list from the manufacturer or wholesale store where I order new items. On this list I can see which items have been delivered (and how much), and which are not. I can then adjust the number (for example 8, in the admin panel) to the number of delivered items.
Last edited by Dutch Pride Code on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by straightlight » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:50 pm

jonagoldapple wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:47 pm
IP_CAM wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:27 pm
Admin low stock alert
Thanks, but this is a low stock alert plugin. What I'm really looking for is a way to keep track of all the new stock items that I have ordered at the manufacturer or wholesale store, that are currently being shipped and therefore are not on stock yet.
cyclops12 wrote:
I don't know how other countries handle this, but I always get an invoice or packing list from the manufacturer or wholesale store where I order new items. On this list I can see which items have been delivered (and how much), and which are not. I can then adjust the number (for example 8) to the number of delivered items.
I had this discussion with Daniel just recently with the hopes of being able to handle those packing list by manufacturers with extensions whenever products are being returned by customers or created by OC admins. This way, despite the country having to handle physical or virtual products, the same functionalities could then be used for all returned orders. :)

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Dutch Pride Code » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:24 pm

I am curious. As you've said it's probably not as easy as I think it is...
How much time would be needed to build such function for a store: an "ordered stock" number that you can add to the stock as soon as it gets delivered?
How much would I need to pay for this function to be added?

Post by straightlight » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 pm

jonagoldapple wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:24 pm
I am curious. As you've said it's probably not as easy as I think it is...
How much time would be needed to build such function for a store?
How much would I need to pay for this function to be added?
Edit: Are you referring to my suggestion above?

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by straightlight » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:09 pm

My post has been edited on the above. Apologize, you are the OP user.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Dutch Pride Code » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:54 am

Apologies for not quoting, I sort of forgot.
But this question is pretty much for any programmer on here...

cyclops12 wrote:
How much would I need to pay for such function to be added to my store? Or for someone to create an extension for this on OC 3.0.3.2 version?
Just curious...