Post by jonagoldapple » Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 am

Hi all,

I started full of enthusiasm about the platform but this slowly faded. There are probably a few developers working very hard on this platform so I am trying to word this nicely, with all due respect for their effort. They sure have created something amazing for the fact that it's free, if it works for you or anybody else. Lately, the only advice I have been given is to "buy an extension" or "get a custom job". If only I asked for something unique for my business this would not even be a problem. But why would a user have to pay to fix default store functions that should be working? The worst part is that neither OpenCart support, nor my hosting provider and not even a friend (developer) knows how to fix this.

Using OpenCart I just keep running into problems. I should have seen it coming, because when installing this platform I already ran into blank screens and lots of error messages. It was very frustrating to get it to work. Or well, get it to work? The marketing mail function has not been working ever since I can remember. And today I noticed how suddenly my contact form stopped working too. I noticed because I got an angry phone call from someone who haven't had a reply in weeks. The last time I checked the form, it still worked but somehow it doesn't now. Meanwhile I haven't touched any single OC file because I was too busy to worry about the website for a couple of weeks. I received mails in the meantime.

Honestly, I'm starting to think this is a way of OpenCart to keep me hooked, or to keep me buying extensions and paying for custom jobs out of frustration and disappointment. Any active hackers on here? Also, chances are that the available extensions from Marketplace do just half of what you need, so in the end you will have to pay for a custom job anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if hiring a developer turns out to be cheaper than buying all the extensions, or paying for all the custom jobs my store needs just to fix default OpenCart functions that should be working.

If I can't communicate with my customers it makes absolutely no sense to use this platform anymore.

The contact form does not work and there is no way to disable it (temporarily). Customers are sending messages that I just won't receive and they don't get notified about the fact I won't receive them. Apparently, the only option is a custom job to get it to work again even though it worked before. These functionality issues are starting to get ridiculous and I am lost in all the issues I'm having with this platform.

If you're reading this and thinking about using it, DON'T! Unless you are a very capable developer who can solve all the issues, ofcourse. In that case, this platform might be your biggest project. A geat way to practice.
Last edited by jonagoldapple on Tue May 12, 2020 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post by xxvirusxx » Tue May 12, 2020 2:41 am

jonagoldapple wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 am
If I can't communicate with my customers it makes absolutely no sense to use this platform anymore.
Use another free platform who work just fine for you.
jonagoldapple wrote:
If you're reading this and thinking about using it, DON'T!
If we use this, is our money, not your money :laugh:

Maybe this will help you...
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=35498

My converted modules | Buy me a beer | Opencart upgrade service

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by cyclops12 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:55 am

Or better still get the 2.3.0.2 version with the bugs already fixed and forget about version 3 altogether

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Tue May 12, 2020 2:56 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:41 am
jonagoldapple wrote:
Use another free platform who work just fine for you.
jonagoldapple wrote:
If you're reading this and thinking about using it, DON'T!
If we use this, is our money, not your money :laugh:

Maybe this will help you...
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=35498
The OP does not state anything about money based on what you quoted from the OP. If the OP user does decide to get elsewhere, however, it is indeed up to his total discretion.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by xxvirusxx » Tue May 12, 2020 3:03 am

Not directly...
jonagoldapple wrote:
But why would a user have to pay to fix default store functions that should be working?
And yes. He/she can test another free platform or more and chose one for the needs.
cyclops12 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:55 am
Or better still get the 2.3.0.2 version with the bugs already fixed and forget about version 3 altogether
Yes. I don't understand why people still upgrade to 3.0.x....bugles versions

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by straightlight » Tue May 12, 2020 3:15 am

Yes. I don't understand why people still upgrade to 3.0.x....bugles versions
Because they require the use of the Events engine where 2.3.0.2 has not been programmed the same way previously.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by xxvirusxx » Tue May 12, 2020 3:18 am

Events engine for what?
90% of store owners are not programmers and maybe are not interested about how work new Events engine. They are just interested to sale the products.

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by straightlight » Tue May 12, 2020 3:23 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:18 am
Events engine for what?
90% of store owners are not programmers and maybe are not interested about how work new Events engine. They are just interested to sale the products.
Nevertheless, they're still interested to use extensions which events are also implicit. If nobody would need the use of extensions, nobody would be especially interested to use events at this point. Therefore, if people wants to upgrade to OC v3.x releases, it's because it may also be a requirement for them to have for specific reasons.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by jonagoldapple » Tue May 12, 2020 5:48 am

cyclops12 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:55 am
Do I understand this correctly: version 2.3.0.2 is able to contact customers and does not have contact form bugs?

Is it possible to create a website with 2.3.0.2 on one of my subdomains and when it works, move the entire site to my main domain?

If this version works better, how do I even downgrade to this older version? And what is an events engine?

Post by xxvirusxx » Tue May 12, 2020 2:34 pm

jonagoldapple wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:48 am
Do I understand this correctly: version 2.3.0.2 is able to contact customers and does not have contact form bugs?
Contact bug can be fixed...is already posted on forum
Contact customer how? Marketing?
This is one of a fix
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/co ... dbe6903419

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by jonagoldapple » Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Yes, contacting customers using the marketing mail function. I can't wait to finally send targeted promotions, as MailChimp is charging users to build their own templates for e-mail.

Post by haxcop » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:03 am

jonagoldapple wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 pm
Yes, contacting customers using the marketing mail function. I can't wait to finally send targeted promotions, as MailChimp is charging users to build their own templates for e-mail.
I'm sorry to see you go, but name one OpenSource platform without issues?

Location - Dublin

Post by straightlight » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:04 am

haxcop wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:03 am
jonagoldapple wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 pm
I'm sorry to see you go, but name one OpenSource platform without issues?
There are none. It's simply because most users are looking to resolve their issues by hiring somebody most of the time.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 pm

... but name one OpenSource platform without issues?
-----
OcDev's may like it, or not, v.1.5.6.5 is still unbeaten, if one is not only looking for Version Numbers,
but for Simplicity, Stability, Security, free Extensions, and overall Performance....
https://github.com/IP-CAM
http://www.bigmax.ch/shop
http://www.openshop.li/shop
---
I am no longer active at the Forum. Please do NOT send me Personal Mails,
they will no longer be replied to.
My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
4'100 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by johnp » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:19 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 pm
OcDev's may like it, or not, v.1.5.6.5 is still unbeaten, if one is not only looking for Version Numbers,
but for Simplicity, Stability, Security, free Extensions, and overall Performance....
As old as it is I've still got several happy clents making a living on OC 1.5.6.5 sites. All are running on PHP 7.4 with no problems. 1.5.6.5 has to be my all time favourite OC version. :)

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD 2.6.4 lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK