Post by imager » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:24 am

Question on Google's CAPTCHA/reCAPTCHA service for guests from areas such as China - where all Google services are blocked.

We interact regularly with vendors and customers from China along with over the rest of the world. We have Google CAPTCHA/reCAPCHA services enabled on OC 3.0.2.0, which slows down the drive-by spamming.

Where it fails, is with any guests from China - the CAPTCHA box simply is not displayed to those guests, resulting in failed messages/registrations.

Wondering what options are available that would provide a certain level of protection, that would be compatible around the world.

Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Post by thekrotek » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:34 am

Well, you could install captcha-like service, which works for China, get visitor's geolocation and simply display different captcha for him. Will require some customization though, since I doubt there's a solution for this.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by letxobnav » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:26 pm

perhaps try recaptcha.net instead of www.google.com

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by imager » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 pm

The problem with reCaptcha is that too uses Google. Anything to do with Google in China is completely blocked does not matter if it is Gmail or Google search, all Google services are blocked making it totally unusable.
Will keep looking though.

Post by letxobnav » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:10 am

I think you over-estimate the consistency of the blocking procedures at the mainland chinese ISP's

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by imager » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:10 am

I know from personal experience, spending the past six weeks in Sichuan that without VPN, Google related services were not available. The VPN situation was pretty fluid too in efforts to curtail there use (along with making it an offense to possess).

Just looking for a practical and manageable solution that an average user can use.

Post by thekrotek » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:17 am

letxobnav wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:10 am
I think you over-estimate the consistency of the blocking procedures at the mainland chinese ISP's
No, he is not.

Expert Member

Post by thekrotek » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:18 am

imager wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:10 am
Just looking for a practical and manageable solution that an average user can use.
Like I said, you simply need to find the captcha service, which works for China and either use it for all your visitors or feed it depending on geolocation.

Expert Member

Post by letxobnav » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:57 pm

No, he is not.
I stand corrected.

I figured since I live in the neighborhood I might know a little about the subject, what was I thinking.
Very grateful to have people around who are much more in the know to put me in my proper place.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:36 pm

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom

Post by LeafDriver » Fri May 31, 2019 12:48 am

imager wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:10 am
I know from personal experience, spending the past six weeks in Sichuan that without VPN, Google related services were not available. The vpn situation was pretty fluid too in efforts to curtail there use (along with making it an offense to possess).

Sorry for bringing up an old topic :)
I've read the whole topic but could not understand what kind of captcha service is working there? What is the solution for China?