Post by GaiaBudz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:38 pm

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I am not quite sure where else to post this, considering it does not quite pertain to the software itself however is relevant to opencart

anyway, In reference to this thread; viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4088
(I AM NOT LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON HOW TO BRIDGE FORUM AND STORE ACCOUNTS)

Daniel the owner, mentions (and i am paraphrasing) that you can add the forum software files, in this case phpbb, to your ftp as a subfolder to your store. i am using filezilla, in my opinion he wasn't exactly clear about how to do that in either of the aforementioned steps so i am wondering if anyone, perhaps daniel himself but anyone would due, could elaborate a little better about how to go about doing this?

I am about to start uploading everything and before i do i just want to understand exactly what it is that i am about to do, and despite the general knowledge i have creating a forum as a subfolder for a website of any kind is not something i have experience with. I normally just create a page, and embed it to open the forum in a separate page. However, while that is one solution... that also requires using two hosts, with both sites on two different servers, not associated with each other, and under different domains. Which frankly, seems unprofessional in my opinion, and i am trying to break unprofessional web development habits

i figured i would just ask the question myself, considering the thread i am referencing is from 2009 and i feel foolish for having posted in it, thank you in advance to whomever helps me

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by sw!tch » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Personally - I would keep your forum in a sub-domain far far away from your Ecommerce store. If you are also trying to incorporate a shared forum login system with your Ecommerce store, that's horrible idea from a security standpoint IMO. Maybe something like an OAUTH setup would work, but shared credentials is a poor solution.

Backup and [ learn how to recover ] before you make any changes.


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Post by GaiaBudz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:11 pm

sw!tch wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:07 pm
Personally - I would keep your forum in a sub-domain far far away from your Ecommerce store. Trying to incorporate a shared forum login system with your Ecommerce store, that's horrible idea from a security standpoint IMO. Maybe something like an OAUTH setup would work, but shared credentials is a poor solution.
I agree with you as far as your security concerns go, and that is exactly why i am not interested in account bridging. However, I think you are misunderstanding me, so let me reiterate. I am not trying to integrate the logins (bridging the forum and store accounts) the two would still remain entirely separate.

what i am trying to do is upload my forum software to my host's server, but not as the root. that way when they click on my store's community page it takes them to "www.mystore.com/community" instead of it redirecting them to "www.myforum.myhost.com" i am trying to avoid using separate servers or seperate hosts. everything else otherwise would be kept completely separate. I am emphasizing on only Daniel's reply, really.

Unless of course those same security concerns apply to what i am trying to do, in which case then I definitely agree with your suggestion and will just stick to my usual method which is exactly that anyway lol. but if that is only as far as integrating store and forum accounts then no worries that is not what i am trying to do as i just explained

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:23 pm

Just upload forum to desired subfolder and you're good to go. I don't see any issues with it, been doing like this for years.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:24 am


Post by GaiaBudz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:26 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:23 pm
Just upload forum to desired subfolder and you're good to go. I don't see any issues with it, been doing like this for years.
Can you show me an example? Sorry if I am being so fussy about it, I just like i said have no experience with adding a forum to a website using this method... which is ironically the proper method. There isn't an issue with it, I just do not understand exactly what is meant by "desired subfolder" where do i create the subfolder? do i add it within the root, or outside of it? etc

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Example of WHAT? Just create it and upload, that's it. You're overcomplicating the very simple task.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:24 am


Post by GaiaBudz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:43 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:35 pm
Example of WHAT? Just create it and upload, that's it. You're overcomplicating the very simple task.
An example of where I am supposed to upload the subfolder to. Obviously it can't go into the opencart files, and i am sure two forms of software can't exist on the same root folder. Again, i have no experience in adding a forum to a website by these means.

I'm overcomplicating this? Spare me. I asked a simple question and just wanted a simple answer. You could have easily just given me an example of how exactly to go about doing what you are telling me to do, and this thread could have been done with. If you aren't going to provide me with the assistance i am looking for and just insist on being condescending, then please stop replying to my thread and wasting my time. But if you actually do want to help me, then I do greatly appreciate it. I am not here to be trivial I just want some clarity so I can begin developing my website.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by uksitebuilder » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:37 pm

Not sure how your server is set-up, do you have cpanel access?

Are you allowed to create subdomains ?

I would say that is the easiest and best way to keep the forum separate from your opencart store.

So, you would end up with two separate root folders: your main opencart folder and your forum's folder

You would access opencart as you do now: yourdomain.com
You would access the forum at: forum.yourdomain.com
You would have 2 separate databases

(* the above only an option if your server/host allows it)

----

Failing that, you can simply create a folder within opencart's main folder called forum and upload all the phpbb files to that.

You would then access is via yourdomain.com/forum

You will still need 2 separate databases (or at least it is better that you have them separate. You may be able to get away with using one database, but best not to if your host allows multiple databases.)

The only stumbling block I can see using this method would be concerning .htaccess, but it can be overcome with some coding.

ImageImageImageImageImage

For Friendly Professional Support - Click Here


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:37 pm
Location - United Kindgom

Post by GaiaBudz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:58 pm

uksitebuilder wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:37 pm
Not sure how your server is set-up, do you have cpanel access?

Are you allowed to create subdomains ?

I would say that is the easiest and best way to keep the forum separate from your opencart store.

So, you would end up with two separate root folders: your main opencart folder and your forum's folder

You would access opencart as you do now: yourdomain.com
You would access the forum at: forum.yourdomain.com
You would have 2 separate databases

(* the above only an option if your server/host allows it)

----

Failing that, you can simply create a folder within opencart's main folder called forum and upload all the phpbb files to that.

You would then access is via yourdomain.com/forum

You will still need 2 separate databases (or at least it is better that you have them separate. You may be able to get away with using one database, but best not to if your host allows multiple databases.)

The only stumbling block I can see using this method would be concerning .htaccess, but it can be overcome with some coding.
I am currently using infinityfree, and their free service does not give cpanel access. I know it is not advised to use a free host, but they allow unlimited bandwith and diskspace, with great and consistent up time. As well do not force any ad's on to your site, it is funded entirely by ad's on their own site and the user control panel (not cpanel). They allow me to make 3 databases (though their website says it allows 400 MySQL databases?), each with 50,000 daily views. In my opinion that is the only crutch, but my webstore is entirely new so i probably will not even have close to 50,000 views a day for awhile in which case then i can upgrade to paid hosting. They also do not offer domains, I would have to purchase one from a domain provider elsewhere once my site is complete, and I am not sure but I think am only allowed one subdomain. So I am sure I can use one database considering I have unlimited space.

Is cpanel access required for the first method you suggested? Because if I can just do it FileZilla, then if you can just tell me what I would need to do, and we can call it a day. Otherwise, I was just wondering how to go about how to create a subfolder within' my site, as per my example "www.mystore.com/community" I am aware i would have to rename the folder to community. But you answered the question exactly, and I thank you for that.

Only thing now I am confused about is as far as .htaccess goes, obviously I am not asking you explain what that is exactly, i can easily google that. However, considering I am not experienced with installing two softwares on the same server to use together, I never particularly felt it was entirely necessary to get in depth knowledge about .htaccess. Why would that be a problem? What exactly would I need to code? and is it absolutely necessary? If its something that would be too complicated to explain how to code to someone without any in depth knowledge, perhaps it would just be easier to stick to my usual method of implementing a community with a website in the mean time. While I learn the coding necessary to do code whatever it is i would have to code for .htaccess

Needless to say, this other guy made it seem a lot easier than you did, he didn't mention anything about coding .htaccess, all he said was to just make a subfolder... Which is why now I am even more confused...

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by letxobnav » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:53 pm

The only stumbling block I can see using this method would be concerning .htaccess, but it can be overcome with some coding.
htaccess is directory based so I wonder what stumbling block you are seeing.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:35 pm
Location - Taiwan

Post by uksitebuilder » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:12 pm

On the contrary, if the forum is put in a subdirectory of the opencart document root, opencart's rewrite rules etc from the .htaccess in the document root could have an effect on the files/routes in the subdirectory where the forum resides.

Hence why it would be better to have a subdomain with it's own document root
.htaccess files (or "distributed configuration files") provide a way to make configuration changes on a per-directory basis. A file, containing one or more configuration directives, is placed in a particular document directory, and the directives apply to that directory, and all subdirectories thereof.
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/h ... .html#what

--

Regardless, after reading OP's reply about their host set-up, trying to run opencart on a free service, (or shared service for that matter), is not a good way to run an e-commerce store. Especially with how cheaply you can get started with a VPS or cloud VPS these days and the security implications of using a shared service.

ImageImageImageImageImage

For Friendly Professional Support - Click Here


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:37 pm
Location - United Kindgom

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:06 pm

In cPanel create a subdomain, choose a folder for it outside the public_html, upload your forum there possibly using Softaculous if you have it. Job done.

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:01 pm
Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom

Post by uksitebuilder » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:13 am

GaiaBudz wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:58 pm
I am currently using infinityfree, and their free service does not give cpanel access....

ImageImageImageImageImage

For Friendly Professional Support - Click Here


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:37 pm
Location - United Kindgom

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 am

uksitebuilder wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:13 am
GaiaBudz wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:58 pm
I am currently using infinityfree, and their free service does not give cpanel access....
Good spot. I'd say don't use free hosting if you're serious about your business.

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:01 pm
Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom

Post by letxobnav » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 am

On the contrary, if the forum is put in a subdirectory of the opencart document root, opencart's rewrite rules etc from the .htaccess in the document root could have an effect on the files/routes in the subdirectory where the forum resides.

Code: Select all

        RewriteEngine on
	# ignore subfolders
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} "/folder_to_ignore/" 
	RewriteRule (.*) $1 [L]
	#
	# prevent take over of non existing file/directory aliases like SEO
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/folder_to_ignore
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*\.(ico|gif|jpg|jpeg|png|js|css)
	RewriteRule ^([^?]*) index.php?_route_=$1 [L,QSA]

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:35 pm
Location - Taiwan

Post by GaiaBudz » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:16 am

paulfeakins wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 am
uksitebuilder wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:13 am
GaiaBudz wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:58 pm
I am currently using infinityfree, and their free service does not give cpanel access....
Good spot. I'd say don't use free hosting if you're serious about your business.
lol I knew i was going to get some grief the moment i mentioned i am using a free host provider...

it's only a temporary solution while I get it up and running, i fully intend on upgrading to paid hosting or a vps as soon as possible. Money is currently... a little tight, so sadly i had to cut some costs for the time being until i start getting cash flow.

Anyway, I think I got all the information i need. From what I am reading it seems like using the cpanel is the best method to use to add a forum. but since i currently can't access my host's cpanel, in the meantime since i really need to get this going. I may just stick to my sloppy method of adding a forum to my website. Then after i upgrade my host, i'll just back up my forum and reupload it using the cpanel when that time comes. Unless I can figure out what to do with letxobnav .htaccess code, then i will just do that so I don't have to back up my forum and reupload it later using cpanel after i upgrade.

letxobnav wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 am
On the contrary, if the forum is put in a subdirectory of the opencart document root, opencart's rewrite rules etc from the .htaccess in the document root could have an effect on the files/routes in the subdirectory where the forum resides.

Code: Select all

        RewriteEngine on
	# ignore subfolders
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} "/folder_to_ignore/" 
	RewriteRule (.*) $1 [L]
	#
	# prevent take over of non existing file/directory aliases like SEO
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/folder_to_ignore
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*\.(ico|gif|jpg|jpeg|png|js|css)
	RewriteRule ^([^?]*) index.php?_route_=$1 [L,QSA]
Where would I put this code? Also, where it says "/folder_to_ignore/" what folder name would i put there? Would it just be "phpBB" or whatever i name my forum folders be it "community" or "forum"?
Sorry if this is tedious...

Other than that... Thank you guys for all the help and information, if possible please don't lock this thread, i'll be revisiting this thread for potential and further assistance again when i get the ball rolling.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by GaiaBudz » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:43 am

Alright, so I decided to purchase a hosting plan with greengeeks. I managed to move some money around and their most basic plan is not only highly affordable but extremely flexible as far as bandwidth and diskspace is concerned. I will also have access to a cPanel.

So I’ll be doing it like that once I purchase the hosting, I will probably need some help adding the forum to my cPanel when the time comes so again please don’t close this thread because I have no experience in doing that.

Figured I would let those concerned that I was using a free host to start off with. I decided to do some in depth research about free hosts, particularly mine and needless to say free hosts are some shady figures!

So thank you for the grief, you may have just saved my future business, and potentially a lot of money, from my own ignorance lol

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by straightlight » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:46 am

GaiaBudz wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:43 am
Alright, so I decided to purchase a hosting plan with greengeeks. I managed to move some money around and their most basic plan is not only highly affordable but extremely flexible as far as bandwidth and diskspace is concerned. I will also have access to a cPanel.

So I’ll be doing it like that once I purchase the hosting, I will probably need some help adding the forum to my cPanel when the time comes so again please don’t close this thread because I have no experience in doing that.

Figured I would let those concerned that I was using a free host to start off with. I decided to do some in depth research about free hosts, particularly mine and needless to say free hosts are some shady figures!

So thank you for the grief, you may have just saved my future business, and potentially a lot of money, from my own ignorance lol
If you require assistance to integrate the desired forum platform, I would suggest to create a new service request in the Commercial Support section of the forum to get this done as a custom job when you're ready.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by GaiaBudz » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 pm

straightlight wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:46 am
GaiaBudz wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:43 am
Alright, so I decided to purchase a hosting plan with greengeeks. I managed to move some money around and their most basic plan is not only highly affordable but extremely flexible as far as bandwidth and diskspace is concerned. I will also have access to a cPanel.

So I’ll be doing it like that once I purchase the hosting, I will probably need some help adding the forum to my cPanel when the time comes so again please don’t close this thread because I have no experience in doing that.

Figured I would let those concerned that I was using a free host to start off with. I decided to do some in depth research about free hosts, particularly mine and needless to say free hosts are some shady figures!

So thank you for the grief, you may have just saved my future business, and potentially a lot of money, from my own ignorance lol
If you require assistance to integrate the desired forum platform, I would suggest to create a new service request in the Commercial Support section of the forum to get this done as a custom job when you're ready.
Thanks, but I am not looking to integrate the forum into the site’s software, contrary to what the thread says that I was referencing in my OP. I was using it to specifically to emphasize Daniel’s reply only, and to get a more detailed explanation on what it is he was saying.

Reason being is... What I am trying to accomplish is simply adding forum software to my site via FileZilla and coding htaccess so the url would be “www.mystore.com/forum” or through the cPanel so it would be “forums.mystore.com”

So commercial support would not be any use to me, I am sorry. But instead of making an entirely new thread when I am ready to do what I am trying to do, I am just going to maintain this thread for when that time comes.

I therefore do not consider this resolved

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:30 pm

GaiaBudz wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 pm
it would be “forums.mystore.com”
Use this.

GaiaBudz wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 pm
So commercial support would not be any use to me
If you used cPanel I would explain how to do it in detail here, but as you use some free system, you'll need to either figure out how to do it yourself by searching Google, move to better hosting, or pay someone from the Commercial Support Forum.

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:01 pm
Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests