Post by head_dunce » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:29 pm

I've had a few customers get an error at the checkout for "duplicate order" which seems to happen when their card is declined and they try and re-enter the card info. The order shows up in the "missing order" list in the admin area. The order hasn't been charged. -- Is there an easy way for me to put that missing order information into the cart so I can check the person out over the phone? I've been using copy and paste, and I assume I can write some script to use API's, but I don't know if there is an easy solution for this already?

OC Version 3.0.3.2

Jim
https://www.carguygarage.com
Yahoo Store since 2006 moved to OpenCart on January 24, 2020

Post by straightlight » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:45 pm

Is there an easy way for me to put that missing order information into the cart so I can check the person out over the phone?
I wouldn't advise that suggestion as putting a missing order information back into the cart to contact a customer might involve a high level of risks with Fraud Management especially if you intend to directly contact a customer via the phone without validating his profile information and phone number in these situations. Which means, it might be exactly what the customer want in order to be reached back.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by head_dunce » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:07 am

Sorry, let me explain this better.
What happens is the customer calls us at our 800 number. They are getting the duplicate order error when trying to check out and are confused if there is already an order or not. They explain the card got declined because they had a typo or had some fraud prevention alert trigger, or whatever, but they had a problem with their card declining. We check, and there is not an active order for them. Then we look and see the order is in the "missing order" list. All the customer info (address/products) is already in the "missing order" list, so it'd be great to be able to push all that info back into the cart so we can check the person out over the phone. As it is now we have to copy and paste everything over into the cart to check them out. --- Of course we double check the AVS/CVV on the card for the order, no problems there.

Jim

Post by straightlight » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:19 am

They explain the card got declined because they had a typo or had some fraud prevention alert trigger, or whatever, but they had a problem with their card declining. We check, and there is not an active order for them. All the customer info (address/products) is already in the "missing order" list
Exactly what my point addresses above. It is not because you have not explained and addressed this issue incorrectly in this case originally.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by head_dunce » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:46 am

Not sure where you're going, these aren't fraud orders. I took another one myself this morning. The customer said he put in the CVV incorrectly and it got declined. I copied all his info over, checked him out, all the card info matched, shipping to the same address on the card. Most of my customers are older people many of whom aren't all that great on the computer and/or their eyes are going (I know mine are...) --- We get a few of these a month.

But I'm not here to argue. I guess I can assume there is no solution for this cause I know you know the system very well. I'll have to work on some API's. (We had something similar on Yahoo and wrote API's for it too.)

Jim

Post by straightlight » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:34 am

We get a few of these a month.
Then, better not to disclosed that publicly for the saigh of your store. I am not the one to argue about the ones who are successfully making sales in a secured way but this one clearly shows that you are receiving cumulative orders ending up in the missing orders as you are looking to re-add those products into the cart as brand new. If things were that easy, I'd say that electronic service providers wouldn't be required to ensure there are, indeed, no fraud detection in the process but, most likely, it's not the case here.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Burt65 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 am

Not sure if I can help, but what module are you using to collect the CC details?

Practically what you need is a module that does allow the customer to re-enter the correct details if one is entered wrong by mistake instead of completing the order and put it in the missing order.. Do I understand correctly?

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by straightlight » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:26 am

Burt65 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 am
Not sure if I can help, but what module are you using to collect the CC details?

Practically what you need is a module that does allow the customer to re-enter the correct details if one is entered wrong by mistake instead of completing the order and put it in the missing order.. Do I understand correctly?
The 2nd issue is about the missing order he wants to add back into the cart table. It's good to be aware that suspicious orders can end up in the missing orders when an order checkout fails by user-defined forms but its rather about when the checkout does succeed its steps and the order gets validated through the payment service provider. It still may end up in the missing orders and the OP user is looking to re-add the missing order products back into the cart even though those events might occur which is unadvisable.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Burt65 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:15 am

I just went and check my settings and I don't even have a "missing order". Is this a new feature of OC 3.x or is just one of the option for the order status being renamed to "Missing order". I don't use a server CC service in my setup, so if the customer does something wrong, Paypal change the status accordingly to the list of order status that I setup in the admin...

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by OSWorX » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:47 pm

Burt65 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:15 am
I just went and check my settings and I don't even have a "missing order". Is this a new feature of OC 3.x or is just one of the option for the order status being renamed to "Missing order".
Correct .. just a order status type (order_status_id = 0).
And the default status for orders not completed - since the 1.4.x times ..

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by head_dunce » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:40 pm

straightlight wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:34 am
We get a few of these a month.
Then, better not to disclosed that publicly for the saigh of your store. I am not the one to argue about the ones who are successfully making sales in a secured way but this one clearly shows that you are receiving cumulative orders ending up in the missing orders as you are looking to re-add those products into the cart as brand new. If things were that easy, I'd say that electronic service providers wouldn't be required to ensure there are, indeed, no fraud detection in the process but, most likely, it's not the case here.
Blocking the customer with the error of "duplicate order" isn't preventing fraud. The customer can clear their cookies, use incognito, or use a different browser and re-enter the cart information anyway. The customers that call us up are more confused by the error message than anything else, they don't want two orders. Having a back end way to move the missing order information to the checkout screen so we can quickly get their order placed is just good customer service. The customer is already frustrated by the time they call us.

If it's a script testing cards, OC doesn't stop anything anyway since the script will just dump the cookies and try again. I've had this happen both when I was on Yahoo and now on OC too. The gateway I switched to when I moved to OC does a better job at catching these scripts than Yahoo did, so far on OC with the new gateway they don't get past a handful of tries.

Similarly, when a repeat customer calls us to place an order we need to be able to populate their information into the cart (name/phone/email/addresses) so we can check them out quickly. I have some customers that have been with us for many many years who call us up more like friends. Currently we have to give them a long pause on the phone as we copy and paste their information over.

So I guess a simple "button" on the OC order page is needed where to takes the customer information and puts it into the cart no matter the status of the order. This "button" would be nice to have the option of either just population the customer contact info over, or both the contact info and the previous items too. That would solve both the problems, strange that there isn't already an extension for this (or maybe there is and I haven't found it yet)

Jim

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:48 pm

head_dunce wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:29 pm
I've had a few customers get an error at the checkout for "duplicate order" which seems to happen when their card is declined and they try and re-enter the card info. The order shows up in the "missing order" list in the admin area. The order hasn't been charged. -- Is there an easy way for me to put that missing order information into the cart so I can check the person out over the phone? I've been using copy and paste, and I assume I can write some script to use API's, but I don't know if there is an easy solution for this already?
I think you need a developer to take a look.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by head_dunce » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:53 pm

Yeah, I can write the code to do it. Just checking if someone else already has, no need to re-invent the wheel.

Jim

Post by head_dunce » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 pm

This might do it, or be very close -
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=40399

Jim

Post by straightlight » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:14 pm

I'll never buy that extension for sure. In this exceptional case, it had to be said for the saigh of others.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by head_dunce » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 pm

Well using copy and paste to do the same thing is not a good long term solution, and it's bad customer service to make them wait on the phone. I have a lot of repeat customers and get a lot of calls on the 800 number, so it's a need for my situation. Not sure why there's any negativity about it. Thanks for the feedback.

Jim

Post by straightlight » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:05 am

head_dunce wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 pm
Well using copy and paste to do the same thing is not a good long term solution, and it's bad customer service to make them wait on the phone. I have a lot of repeat customers and get a lot of calls on the 800 number, so it's a need for my situation. Not sure why there's any negativity about it. Thanks for the feedback.
That's because a Business don't normally contact their customers back directly when, even slight, misinformation have been entered in the checkout forms for security reasons. Rather, Businesses do let the opportunity to customers to call their direct service line to resolve their billing issues. In other words, what you are publishing on this topic, or on the Marketplace with this specific extension, is not a secured solution for direct customers nor other buyers.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by sw!tch » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:25 am

Would it not be easier to just resolve the duplicate order from the merchant end? Usually this is caused by too many repetitive transactions in a certain time period, also the gateway should be returning the reason for the decline the first time.

You may want to look into better handling the responses from the gateway to provide feedback to the end user.

Some gateways allow you to adjust the time interval to flag an order as duplicate or have settings to override that.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Send a PM for Custom Work.
Backup and learn how to recover before you make any changes!

Post by Burt65 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:06 am

OSWorX wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:47 pm
Burt65 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:15 am
I just went and check my settings and I don't even have a "missing order". Is this a new feature of OC 3.x or is just one of the option for the order status being renamed to "Missing order".
Correct .. just a order status type (order_status_id = 0).
And the default status for orders not completed - since the 1.4.x times ..
:laugh: How come I wasn't notify of this major change...

No seriously, because I use Paypal and don't collect personal details from the customer, I never had to filter my orders...

You are right. It is there even in my version.. Mind you, it doesn't seems to work as, if you try to delete any of those listed "Missing orders", you get a message saying that "Warning: Order could not be found! "
I guess that's why it is called a "missing order" :laugh:

Thanks

Location - Oz

Post by head_dunce » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:25 am

straightlight wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:05 am
That's because a Business don't normally contact their customers back directly
You didn't read me right man, now I see... We don't contact the customer -- they call us when this problem happens. Ha, it'd be crazy to call all the missing orders we get, lol -- I thought there was something off with your answers to this post, now I see. ---- No this is a problem when the customer calls us confused. And it's the same technical problem when a repeat customer calls us to place another order. I need an easy way to copy over previous order information, and I know I can do it via API's.

Jim