Post by NL drinkt Belgisch » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:41 pm

I stopped selling to customers in the UK, it does not make any money anymore after Brexit. Nor do I want to spend time answering questions from the UK or even waste bandwidth.

I wish to block visitors from the UK to my site but I do not want to block customers from Northern Ireland as they have a separate trade agreement. Of course, the site has to be accessible from any other place in the world.

Is that possible? What would be the best way to do this?

Post by khnaz35 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:26 pm

There are few method you can achieve this.
If you are using cloudflare use firewall rule and block the country.

If you are using vps server use Cphulk to block the country.

Or you can use .htaccess and use geoip to block all those ips.

Or you can use @Johnathan extension for restricted checkout.

Its your choice how to go about it but yes it is possible.

Urgent Questions shoot here: khnaz35@gmail.com
Enjoy nature ;) :) :-*

Location - Malaysia

Post by Naheed » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:41 pm

If you want to Block website visitors from the UK after Brexit,
then you can take the help of the following extensions:

1. Opencart Blocker
2. Knowband Blocker
3. Opencart Geoip

Post by khnaz35 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:47 pm

Naheed wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:41 pm
If you want to Block website visitors from the UK after Brexit,
then you can take the help of the following extensions:

1. Opencart Blocker
2. Knowband Blocker
3. Opencart Geoip
Its advisable to share the link of mentioned extensions.

Location - Malaysia

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:07 pm

NL drinkt Belgisch wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:41 pm
I stopped selling to customers in the UK, it does not make any money anymore after Brexit. Nor do I want to spend time answering questions from the UK or even waste bandwidth.
Use CloudFlare so bandwidth doesn't matter and then rather than blocking UK visitors why not just reply to all UK emails with "sorry we don't supply the UK"?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by khnaz35 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:16 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:07 pm
why not just reply to all UK emails with "sorry we don't supply the UK"?
Because it is also need more efforts first they place the order and then admin have to refund the amount. Unless he use Geoip base extension and once the customer hit the website they see POPUP message etc.

Location - Malaysia

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:28 pm

Surely the easiest way is to configure a geo-zone which excludes the UK, and then have the shipping method and/or payment method use this geo-zone.
And perhaps also have a message displayed on the checkout page that says that your products are not available for UK customers. The latter can be set up via a standard HTML-module and the built-in design > layout editor.

All of above would only use standard OpenCart features. Nothing complicated here.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by mikeinterserv » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 pm

Yeah and you don't want to give customers the OPTION of paying for any EXTRA fees etc a
And while your at it why not BLOCK all the people with no money and all the people who browse without buying and ALL the bots
AND as has been mentioned you can't possibly put text on the page that explains the situation in any way.
BLOCKING in that way is just NOT a good idea and ANYONE who wanted to would get round it ANYWAY

Location - Wales

Post by NL drinkt Belgisch » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:48 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:07 pm
NL drinkt Belgisch wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:41 pm
Use CloudFlare so bandwidth doesn't matter and then rather than blocking UK visitors why not just reply to all UK emails with "sorry we don't supply the UK"?
Thanks.

Yeah, one company even put that message on its frontpage. What a waste of commercial space.

Post by NL drinkt Belgisch » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:50 pm

Thanks, all, for all the suggestions.

Does anybody have an idea how well these methods are able to discriminate between NI and the UK? Am I not blocking/allowing the wrong people?

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:28 am

Any of these IP-address based blocking methods (e.g. CloudFlare etc) can be easily overcome via e.g. VPN connections. Besides, CloudFlare will just slow your site. Hence my suggestion as posted further up.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by NL drinkt Belgisch » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:28 am
Any of these IP-address based blocking methods (e.g. CloudFlare etc) can be easily overcome via e.g. VPN connections. Besides, CloudFlare will just slow your site. Hence my suggestion as posted further up.
I'm satisfied if blocking results in 95% less visits from England, Scotland and Wales. I will your suggestion as well: If James Bond or any other member of Her Majesty's Secret Service ;) will access my shop through VPN they can see my shop, but they cannot order. So thanks for that suggestion.

However, I would regret loosing 1% of my traffic from Northern Ireland. These visitors matter as they are potential customers. That is why I informed if anybody has any insight in the quality of the proposed extensions for this purpose.