Post by ongkahyee » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:27 pm

I am very new here, i am helping a client to revamp his website and need to retrieve his customer database, however the whole website folder has move to a subfolder from it's root. How do i manually retrieve the customer database? Is there a way ?

Post by mikeinterserv » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:36 am

Is the website still connected to the original database ?
If so export the database from system > maintenance > backup/restore.
Or if you have access to phpmyadmin for the database you can export it there as well.
You could change the config files for the new subfolder as well and the site should work with the original DB
If you don't have access to any of those then you will need a mysql database client to connect to the database directly using the database details that should be in the original config files for the site
Last edited by mikeinterserv on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Location - Wales

Post by straightlight » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:41 am

ongkahyee wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:27 pm
I am very new here, i am helping a client to revamp his website and need to retrieve his customer database, however the whole website folder has move to a subfolder from it's root. How do i manually retrieve the customer database? Is there a way ?
Regardless of the website, I would first use PHPMyAdmin and create a query in order to pull all the relative customer IDs. Besides, PHPMyAdmin pulls the results in pagination mode which means this methodology won't exhaust your server resources more than it should before jumping into Opencart.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by fegdeed » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:07 am

mikeinterserv wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:36 am
Is the website still connected to the original database ?
If so export the database from system > maintenance > backup/restore.
Or if you have access to phpmyadmin for the database you can export it there as well.
You could change the config files for the new subfolder as well and the site should work with the original DB
If you don't have access to any of those then you will need a mysql database client to connect to the database directly using the database details that should be in the original config files for the site
I agree with phpMyAdmin database export, but does "system > maintenance > backup/restore" in opencart admin work?

Get a secure, fast, and reliable web hosting service from https://turnuphosting.com.

Post by sw!tch » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:31 am

fegdeed wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:07 am
I agree with phpMyAdmin database export, but does "system > maintenance > backup/restore" in opencart admin work?
Not advised using that for database work or anything in that regard. phpMyAdmin, IDE or SQL dump are your best options.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Send a PM for Custom Work.
Backup and learn how to recover before you make any changes!

Post by mikeinterserv » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:49 am

fegdeed wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:07 am
All I can say is - I have used it and it worked.
I would still recommend phpmyadmin or a good mysql client though as switch above.

Location - Wales

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:45 pm

ongkahyee wrote:
i am helping a client
ongkahyee wrote:
How do i manually retrieve the customer database?
You have a client but you don't know how to do something as basic as this? :crazy:

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom