Post by GWShop » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:46 pm

I had 2 developers until now and both of them enabled the "Maintenance mode" option, in Settings, without even asking for permission!

Please tell me how to remove that with code. I had enough of this. I discover my site being in Maintenance mode, after even 24 hours, just because I login as admin.

I guess I have to edit a core file for this. Alternatively how can I add a comment right next to the option, like "Do not use the maintenance mode in this site without asking permission" something like that. ?

Edit: I learned that the Maintenance mode turns on by itself! ???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un7iE4MjrOM

This topic is so that we request from the developers to stop the automatic turn on of the Maintenance mod.
Last edited by GWShop on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by by mona » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:34 am

No one is going to help you if you fail to follow the forum rules.

The first of which is to always post your OC version, this is the minimum we request and it is considered disrespectful and unworthy of our valuable time.

It is also etiquette to add [SOLVED] to the post title when it has been.

You can find the forum rules here. viewforum.php?f=176

We do not work for Opencart nor are we associated with Opencart. We are under no obligation to help.

To your issue:

They should return it off maintenance work when finished, we do not recommend to edit core files, so I must suggest that you just tell them when you discuss a job.

However, not a big deal

admin/language/en-gb/setting/setting.php

find

Code: Select all

$_['entry_maintenance']              = 'Maintenance Mode';
and edit to

Code: Select all

$_['entry_maintenance']              = 'Maintenance Mode : APPROVAL REQUIRED';

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by GWShop » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:38 am

Chill I am new here. Version 3.0.3.7.

The 2nd developer did not change the Maintenance mode. The Maintenance mode turned on by itself!
I just saw this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un7iE4MjrOM

- admin/controller/marketplace/modification.php
- Remove/Comment the line of code:
$this→model_setting_setting→editSettingValue('config', 'config_maintenance', true);

How can I contact the developers and tell them to stop turning maintenance mode on?
What is the purpose of it?
If we create a poll here, 95% of people would vote "Stop the automatic Maintenance mode"turn to on.
Shall everyone encounter this bug a couple of times until he learns how to deal with it? I think that would be the obvious thing for them to do.

I will leave this topic open as my request would be not having automatic turn on in the next version.
Do we have a link where we vote for the next features?
Thanks.

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:40 pm

GWShop wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:38 am
Chill I am new here.
Wrong approach!
Being here since the 23rd of March 2021, posted already 12 messages and still does not know the forum rules (while several times pointed to).
This makes your live here not easier!

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:48 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:40 pm
GWShop wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:38 am
Chill I am new here.
Wrong approach!
Being here since the 23rd of March 2021, posted already 12 messages and still does not know the forum rules (while several times pointed to).
This makes your live here not easier!
Agreed, not new enough to play the "I didn't know better card".

With 12 messages posted I expect you've been told 12 times already by @straightlight to follow the Forum Rules ;)

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:49 pm

GWShop wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:46 pm
This topic is so that we request from the developers to stop the automatic turn on of the Maintenance mod.
This only affected specific versions.

It's fixed in newer versions.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by by mona » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:17 pm

There would appear to be some issues with your site, not with the maintenance mode functionality.
I believe this may well be to do with your original post.

The site is put into maintenance because of what you are preforming.
1) set maintenance
2) delete all modification files
3) recreate all modifications in memory
4) write all modification files
5) end maintenance

All of this is done reasonable instantaneously - so you would not notice it and it is correct functionality.

If you disable step 1 and anything goes wrong after step 2, you will have a store running without any modifications and not know about it.

THIS COULD BE DEVASTATING IF YOU HAVE A CART / PRICE / CHECKOUT / SECURITY MODULE …

In other words, if refresh goes wrong for whatever reason, you should still be in maintenance mode and remain there until you fixed the reason for it to go wrong.

It is the developer’s (person who refreshed) responsibility to check whether the refresh was processed OK (not just the process but also the modification results in the log as they may clash), not simply push the refresh button and walk away. It seems that your developers cannot handle that responsibility.

The only thing I might add is a subtle indication on the front-end that states "Maintenance mode enabled" for admin users when maintenance mode is active.

An alternative would be:

1) recreate all modifications in a temporary directory first
2) if recreation is successful -> set maintenance mode -> delete current modification files and copy the recreated ones -> end maintenance mode.
3) if recreation is not successful -> give notification to admin of what went wrong and leave the current modification files alone, never enter maintenance mode.

Removing what you "believe is a fix" is getting you site into more and more problems.
However, it is your site, you are free to do whatever you like.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member