Post by steveclv2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:48 pm

I am trying to debug an extension that I have installed, updated and cleared the caches but the site is still accessing the PHP from the main site and not from the modifications folder that is located elsewhere.

So I am trying to understand the mechanism that tells OC to access the modified pages and not the original core ones.

Is there a document that can help me understand this or can someone explain if it's straightforward?

Many thanks
Steve
Last edited by steveclv2 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by straightlight » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:58 pm

steveclv2 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:48 pm
I am trying to debug an extension that I have installed, updated and cleared the caches but the site is still accessing the PHP from the main site and not from the modifications folder that is located elsewhere.

So I am trying to understand the mechanism that tells OC to access the modified pages and not the original core ones.

Is there a document that can help me understand this or can someone explain if it's straightforward?

Many thanks
Steve
Create a store backup and database. Then, uninstall the extension. Then, ensure to move the system/storage folder outside of the public_html folder and to assign the CHMOD permissions by FTP to 0755 in recursive mode only on the folders - not on files. No errors from FTP must be returned during the operation. Then, to edit the paths accordingly in both config.php files. Then, clear your storage/cache files (except index.html file). Once the extension reinstallation completed, if the issue persists, contact the extension developer to resolve this issue.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by steveclv2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:12 pm

straightlight wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:58 pm
Create a store backup and database. Then, uninstall the extension. Then, ensure to move the system/storage folder outside of the public_html folder and to assign the CHMOD permissions by FTP to 0755 in recursive mode only on the folders - not on files. No errors from FTP must be returned during the operation. Then, to edit the paths accordingly in both config.php files. Then, clear your storage/cache files (except index.html file). Once the extension reinstallation completed, if the issue persists, contact the extension developer to resolve this issue.
Thanks for the reply.

I have already set up a storage folder outside of the public_html folder and all extensions install into this without a problem.
However, a new extension that I have just added has added/modified the files in the storage folder but the web site is not picking up the modified files but is still using the core files.

So I am trying to understand the mechanism that OC uses for handling modifications so that I can debug the problem.

The developer of the free extension is unwilling to help without being paid (I understand that) and so I am doing the debugging myself as it is my web site.

Thanks
Steve

Post by straightlight » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:57 pm

steveclv2 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:12 pm
straightlight wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:58 pm
Thanks for the reply.

I have already set up a storage folder outside of the public_html folder and all extensions install into this without a problem.
However, a new extension that I have just added has added/modified the files in the storage folder but the web site is not picking up the modified files but is still using the core files.

So I am trying to understand the mechanism that OC uses for handling modifications so that I can debug the problem.

The developer of the free extension is unwilling to help without being paid (I understand that) and so I am doing the debugging myself as it is my web site.

Thanks
Steve
Where is this free extension located? In addition, you would need to provide your error and OCMod logs for further troubleshooting on this. As an alternative, you could always create a new service request in the Commercial Support section of the forum to have this issue investigated as a custom job.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by thekrotek » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:05 pm

The mechanism is simple: modification adds some code co core files and modified files are saved in storage folder. So if core files are used, then no modification was made for them. That's it, plain and simple.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by steveclv2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:08 am

thekrotek wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:05 pm
The mechanism is simple: modification adds some code co core files and modified files are saved in storage folder. So if core files are used, then no modification was made for them. That's it, plain and simple.
That's great - thanks
How does the OC logic know whether to use the modifications - is that by searching the modifications first and then going to the core files if there are no alternatives?
Also whenever I refresh the modifications, it regenerates the php files - where are the modifications listed/stored as I want to change a couple of them but as my changes get replaced every time I do a "modification refresh", I really need to change the source code for the modification (extension)

Thanks for your help!
Steve

Post by thekrotek » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:41 am

It checks for modifications in database and "system" folder. File extension should be .ocmod.xml or .vqmod.xml if you're using Integrated VQMod

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by steveclv2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:24 am

Perfect!! Found the problem in the XML in the modifications table in the database
Thanks for your explanations - really helpful!

Many thanks
Steve

Post by straightlight » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:27 am

steveclv2 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:24 am
Perfect!! Found the problem in the XML in the modifications table in the database
Thanks for your explanations - really helpful!

Many thanks
Steve
Now that the issue has been solved, please add: [SOLVED] at the beginning of the subject line on your first post.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON