Post by ndtuong1312 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:53 am

I've got an OpenCart (with Journal theme) website.

I've used several dev tools to find out what the problem can be but I can't find the solution. 90% of the loading time consists of 'Waiting (TTFB)' time.

This is the intermittent issue, sometimes it takes 2-3s for the TTFB and sometimes it takes more than 25 seconds to completely load.

So is there anyone who can help me out making the website faster?

Attachments

ttfb.png

ttfb.png (176.47 KiB) Viewed 2736 times

Last edited by ndtuong1312 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by thekrotek » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:01 pm

Remove Journal. Worst theme ever.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by khnaz35 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:15 pm

That is one of the known issue with Journal, even though i personally like there theme. They have started building new version of theme few months back not sure if its out.

You can do most of the suggested changes for theme to work properly, BTW since you said Journal theme now be ready for criticism on the forum :laugh:

Urgent Questions shoot here: khnaz35@gmail.com
Enjoy nature ;) :) :-*

Location - Malaysia

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 am

thekrotek wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:01 pm
Agree!

Also, there are a number of errors with regards to cookies and samesite.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by by mona » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:20 am

Also agree - I am also not a fan of that theme but I see a consistent TTFB of approx. 1.27s on you home page.

If it sometimes reaches 25s, it might be with your host/network or on that of others if your page creation relies on external data. Slowness with that will manifest itself ones your html has been received which is after TTFB.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:51 am

Journal is unsupported on the forum.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:45 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Also agree!

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by ndtuong1312 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:01 am

Thanks for you guys suggestion.

We found the cause of Journal 3 theme, it's about the cache.

The Journal 3 theme is override the delete cache function, so when user creates/updates a product, category, etc.... in admin dashboard -> it's will clear all the cache (more than a hundred files). Then if the customer accesses the portal, it will take more than 25s to generate all the cache again.

Now we're looking for a solution and a process to work with this.

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:33 pm

Now we're looking for a solution and a process to work with this.
The solution is easy: Don't use Journal! ;D

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by khnaz35 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:47 am

And why someone shouldn't be using Journal anymore.
They are recoded framework for OC.

Urgent Questions shoot here: khnaz35@gmail.com
Enjoy nature ;) :) :-*

Location - Malaysia

Post by pakchilweb » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:14 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Hi hello according to my experience the Journal 3 Theme is the best theme in Opencart history and i have many clients and i recommend the Journal 3 Theme and once you understand how to use than it's a most customize theme in opencart history. Please see this website of best wigs online canada https://www.bestwigsonlinecanada.com/ please see the website and see how fast in journal theme.

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:33 pm

pakchilweb wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:14 pm
Please see this website of best wigs online canada https://www.bestwigsonlinecanada.com/ please see the website and see how fast in journal theme.
No offense, but this website doesn't look nice at all, it needs a more streamlined and cleaner look. Use a proper web theme.

Guru Member

Post by by mona » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:22 am

pakchilweb wrote:
Hi hello according to my experience the Journal 3 Theme is the best theme in Opencart history and i have many clients and i recommend the Journal 3 Theme and once you understand how to use than it's a most customize theme in opencart history. Please see this website of xxx and see how fast in journal theme.
Nice try on advertising but a theme/framework-customization which needs to delete hundreds of cache files upon product editing and the subsequent recreation of those hundreds of cache files on product page request as well as ten's of thousands of (mostly override) style definitions in it's source code is not great .
It may or may not look great that is personal perception and you may believe it is extremely customizable (but how often are you doing that?) but under the hood it is far from great.

That site needs work, it does not actually load, let alone “fast” when it finally gets first paint it is still only partially loaded. Your customer does not realise how bad that is when they only see it after it is all cached on their browser - as a new customer - it fails bad enough not to bother opening it again. It is not a good design if it fails to be fit for purpose. It is not just that theme, it is excess generally that is a bad idea. The look is important - that is in my blood - but even stilettos must be fit for purpose - you still have to be able to walk - you might add a platform to enable the heel higher, but a pair of heels that you can only wear if seated simply does not have the desired effect !

Happy Holidays ;)

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

Expert Member

Post by websiteworld » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:50 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:33 pm
pakchilweb wrote:
Please see this website of best wigs online canada https://www.bestwigsonlinecanada.com/ please see the website and see how fast in journal theme.
No offense, but this website doesn't look nice at all, it needs a more streamlined and cleaner look. Use a proper web theme.
We host sites running OC 3.0x Journal 3x that do 1 million per year in sales. 93% structure score on GTMetrix. LOL It's funny to see all the clowning about the Journal theme. I grew up in the pet business and similar things happened. Let me fuel the fire even further, they run on Windows servers, not Linux. ROFLOL!
I've always loved hearing the Apple vs. Android, Windows vs. Linux, Ford vs. Chevy arguements.

Interesting that not one Journal basher suggested another option. :-)

Post by by mona » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:19 am

Effort :laugh:

I would just like to clear up a misconception here ..

No one is “bashing” Journal. However, if you choose to have a non-compliant theme, especially one that does not give anything back to the community AT ALL - ZERO - ZILTCH - NADA - it just takes - do not expect any help from this Forum. It is non-compliant and as such requires extra work to resolve and therefore is out of the scope of free support, that is fair enough.

You can bang on about it all day long but all you users have actually achieved is more and more developers saying no, it is not supported on this forum. So better you stay silent and not complain that people refuse to offer free help - a please and thank you generally work better. Users like yourself are not here to help, you just come here to drain us of knowledge - and to complain about what we are prepared to do and not prepared to do for free on your commercial site.

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by websiteworld » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:31 am

by mona wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:19 am
Effort :laugh:

I would just like to clear up a misconception here ..

No one is “bashing” Journal.
Sure they are.
thekrotek wrote:
Are you gaslighting?
The above post is also referred to as catastrophizing.

PS Journal has its own support.

Post by by mona » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:52 am

You to have no idea what gas lighting is, what it means or the real life effect of such abuse ..you use it like a catch phrase for effect without understanding the damage these people do. Must be nice to have so little to worry about that you are able to use such excessively strong language with words you do not actually understand.

To the issue at hand without such appalling personal abuse directed at the last person you probably should have done that to
1. TheKrotek has a right to his opinion, he was not “bashing” or catastrophizing anything ..
2. Yes they have their own support - use it

The advise was good - it was in your best interest - Feel free to ignore it

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by cyclops12 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:05 pm

by mona wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:22 am
The look is important - that is in my blood - but even stilettos must be fit for purpose - you still have to be able to walk
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;D ;D ;D great analogy mona

Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:08 am

pakchilweb wrote:
Hi hello according to my experience the Journal 3 Theme is the best theme in Opencart history and i have many clients and i recommend the Journal 3 Theme and once you understand how to use than it's a most customize theme in opencart history. Please see this website of best wigs online canada https://www.bestwigsonlinecanada.com/ please see the website and see how fast in journal theme.
Well, your website isn't fast, it takes 3.28 s to load your home page.
And your homepage layout needs to be reworked, it has a lot of wasted blank space, see attached screenshot.
And, IMHO, it needs a nicer look and a better navigation.

Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, ask the Journal3 support for help.

Attachments

Screenshot_2022-03-17_15-57-27.png

bestwigsonlinecanada - Screenshot_2022-03-17_15-57-27.png (138.96 KiB) Viewed 1720 times

Guru Member

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:15 am

Well, it surprises me every time, when someone enters this Place, to ask for assistance for Journal. After all, it's not even available in the official OC Extension Section, so, Opencart never generated any income out of it. On the other hand, quite an amount of Github Repositories exist, where Journal Extensions are part of them. And that means, that some People, coming here, most likely did not even buy this Theme from Journal, but use an 'unregistered' Version, and this could be the reason, why they ask for assistance here.

Whatever, it's not my Problem, but more a Problem of OC's Forum Policy, not clearly stating, what should be done with such Extensions, and how they should be handled. It would keep this Place from filling it up with Topics like this one, again and again, resulting in nothing but frustration, for most everybody around here.
Just figured,
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland