Post by BGTGO » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:56 pm

Hello folks,

my problem is this:

I'm using default theme of opencart 3.0.3.8 and i tried to tweak some colors, to match my site color scheme.
The problem is, changes in the mentioned file i upload via ftp client, won't show on most pcs. I still see blue menu bar, even thouh i can see uploaded different color in my server files.
I also noticed, that when i view site from device i never used before for that purpose, site show up updated. But it seems, that whenever i enter site from a device, it freezes that way, so doesn't matter if i change colors or not - it won't affect site view from that device.
Even weirder: i tried the site from another device, that i never tried before, however using my main internet connection (the one that i used for installation and tweaks of the site) and it shows blue menu bar, instead of current orange. So that pc never tried to reach my site when it contained blue menu bar, but still shows that way.

I'm bugged because it feels weird and i can't tweak my site design because of this bug (feature?). I hope you guys help me figure and sort this out.

I tried clearing cache from admins dashboard, i tried to clear cookies of browsers - nothing works.

my site is here: boardgametokens.com
Last edited by BGTGO on Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Cue4cheap » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:49 pm

BGTGO wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:56 pm
I also noticed, that when i view site from device i never used before for that purpose, site show up updated.
Clear your browser cache.
Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by BGTGO » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:53 pm

Cue4cheap wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:49 pm
Clear your browser cache.
Mike
Mike, i did it on both machines - the one mentioned, and the other one used for uploading changes. Both actions make no difference unfortunately.

Post by by mona » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:57 am

We do not know the changes you are attempting to make, so it is unlikely we can assist you.

Possible causes :
caching. Whether this be in dashboard, browser, some extension, server. This is the most likely.
wrong stylesheet
wrong code

A good way to check is to check the stylesheet itself - that would be here, refresh your browser and see if it is there.
http://boardgametokens.com/catalog/view ... esheet.css

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:43 am

Here are some tips and tricks about CSS changes: - viewtopic.php?t=218348#p789994 . For custom themes with CSS tricks: viewtopic.php?f=198&t=224958#p826167 .

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by by mona » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:05 am

Good advice above but does not assist in resolving the issue.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:51 am

by mona wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:05 am
Good advice above but does not assist in resolving the issue.
Only the results will be able to tell since there's still a bit of lack of information provided on the first post which wasn't rectified by previous support posts on the topic. Once these steps will be known if they have been followed, it will help to simplify the leftovers of the reported issue since these solutions have been rectified elsewhere on the forum as we can see.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by by mona » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:13 am

Happy New Year Straightlight.

I am sorry but the user has been perfect on this.

He provided 100% of the information required in his very first post and has obviously tried to check for a solution himself.
I believe you are being over critical, what exactly do you think he should have provided that he didn't?

We are all aware, as is the user, 99.9% it is a caching issue. Whilst there is a 0.1% chance this is something else, your advice above would only go to increase that, not reduce that. So it is good advice, but not one for non-developers and not relevant to the question.

No point to overcomplicate this one.

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by moshair » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:29 am

Hi,
Do this temporary trick to force loading the updated version of the cached files like css, js, images.
For you case edit:
catalog/view/theme/default/template/common/header.twig
and add ?v=number to stylesheet.css in the code:

Code: Select all

<link href="catalog/view/theme/default/stylesheet/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet">
result:

Code: Select all

<link href="catalog/view/theme/default/stylesheet/stylesheet.css?v=1" rel="stylesheet">
save the file and refresh oc cache (modifications, theme).
each time you update the file change the number.
Good luck

Post by cmsroom » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:59 am

@moshair, Yes in few cases it will work. You can add ?v=1 or ?v=2 at last of your domain and check if your changes reflects.

Like boardgametokens.com?v=1

You may like these extension : - https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... r=cmsrooms

Post by BGTGO » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:16 pm

Thank you all for help! Really appreciate it!

Sorry if i didn't provide enough info. The truth is i'm a total newbie in programming, even simple one. To the level that i do not even know what info is important in such problem as mine.

Anyway, Moshair's solution worked for me!
And to clarify for other users who encounter this problem: my only tweaks in default theme was color changing - no actual code changing of any kind; just the colors. So adding: '?v=1' did work for me. Sorry for another newb question - what v=1 actually means? Should i replace this with v=2 with the next stylesheet.css update, or this v=1 would suffice for next color changes?

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:37 pm

BGTGO wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:56 pm
my site is here: boardgametokens.com
Shows orange for me so it must be browser cache which is NOT the same as browser cookies.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by moshair » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:04 pm

BGTGO wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:16 pm
Thank you all for help! Really appreciate it!

Sorry if i didn't provide enough info. The truth is i'm a total newbie in programming, even simple one. To the level that i do not even know what info is important in such problem as mine.

Anyway, Moshair's solution worked for me!
And to clarify for other users who encounter this problem: my only tweaks in default theme was color changing - no actual code changing of any kind; just the colors. So adding: '?v=1' did work for me. Sorry for another newb question - what v=1 actually means? Should i replace this with v=2 with the next stylesheet.css update, or this v=1 would suffice for next color changes?
If you are using a desktop browser fist try pressing Ctrl+F5 to force the browser refresh the website cache locally, if it didn't help it means there is an external cache like cloudflare cache.
Yes you need to change the number each time you modify the file if obove solution didn't work or if you need the new stylesheet work on all devices.

Post by by mona » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:09 pm

It is customary to wrote [ SOLVED ] in the title when it has been.

Pleased you have this sorted, but as Moshair wrote this is a temporary solution. Not a solution, just a way to check what we all knew.

You did not clear your cache.

Here are a couple of site that covers how to clear cache from most broswers
https://uk.pcmag.com/browsers/41051/how ... ny-browser
https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/how-to ... ser-cache/

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by moshair » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:56 pm

Yes, as 'by Mona' wrote it is a temp solution because I read somewhere this method makes the browser doesn't cache the file, I'm not sure if it is true. Anyway, there is another solution which is a permanent solution by changing the file name from stylesheet.css to something else like stylesheet1.css and change the file name in the template header.twig