Post by glolar » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:27 pm

Hello,

Two questions:
1. Is the OpenCart 3.0.3.8 on GitHub the SAME, or a NEWER version than the OpenCart 3.0.3.8 on the OpenCart Downloads page?
2. What is the minimum PHP version required for OpenCart 3.0.3.8? (The OpenCart Downloads page says 5.3(?), which is obviously NOT correct), and the GitHub page says >= 8.0, implying that OpenCart 3.0.3.8 will NOT run on versions of PHP lower than 8.0 (i.e., PHP 7.4.).

Thanks!

Location - San Diego, CA

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:14 pm

glolar wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:27 pm
1. Is the OpenCart 3.0.3.8 on GitHub the SAME, or a NEWER version than the OpenCart 3.0.3.8 on the OpenCart Downloads page?
2. What is the minimum PHP version required for OpenCart 3.0.3.8? (The OpenCart Downloads page says 5.3(?), which is obviously NOT correct), and the GitHub page says >= 8.0, implying that OpenCart 3.0.3.8 will NOT run on versions of PHP lower than 8.0 (i.e., PHP 7.4.).
ad 1. yes, they are both the same
ad 2. Minimum php-version for OpenCart 3.x is 7.3.x (better 7.4.x) - will not work without additional changes with php 8.x (or will work, but endless messages!)

The official OpenCart Download page says currently, that php 5.4 is needed (which is useless stuff and nonsens!)
And Github suggests to use php => 8.x - which is also NOT correct (only valid for the coming OpenCart 4.x version).

Told the "chief developer" already many times that these infos are incorrect - but until today no reply!

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by glolar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:37 am

OSWorX wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:14 pm
glolar wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:27 pm
ad 1. yes, they are both the same
ad 2. Minimum php-version for OpenCart 3.x is 7.3.x (better 7.4.x) - will not work without additional changes with php 8.x (or will work, but endless messages!)

The official OpenCart Download page says currently, that php 5.4 is needed (which is useless stuff and nonsens!)
And Github suggests to use php => 8.x - which is also NOT correct (only valid for the coming OpenCart 4.x version).

Told the "chief developer" already many times that these infos are incorrect - but until today no reply!
Thanks for the info. Not so sure that the GitHub version and the version on the downloads page are identical. I was once rudely called out on this forum for downloading the latest version from the download page. Was told I should be using the GitHub version. But this rude person was an asshole, so maybe they don't know what they were talking about.

I agree that OpenCart needs to get it's act together with regards to the download page. At a MINIMUM, the stated system requirements should be kept up to date. They need to also update their UPGRADE instructions that come with the OpenCart download. I have been gradually updating multiple sites from 3.0.2.0 to 3.0.3.8, and the upgrade scripts are overwriting one or more of the database tables. Don't remember now exactly which table(s) but it was the geozones table, or one of the related tables. I have to go back and repopulate the table(s) using an SQL backup every time I upgrade OpenCart.

Thanks again!

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by glolar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:50 pm

xxvirusxx wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:34 pm
> PHP 7.3
I don't think so. I just uploaded 3.0.3.8 (GitHub version) to my site, went to the /install folder in the browser, and got a message saying "PHP 8.0+ Required", and the upgrade script never launched.

So, added the following line to my .htaccess file to use PHP 8.0:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php80 .php .php5 .php4 .php3

... and the upgrade script started. It quickly aborted however, with a JSON parsing error. See the attached image for the error.

Anybody have any clues on how to proceed? I downloaded and installed the 3.0.3.8 Download Page version and the 3.0.3.8 GitHub version (a couple of months ago), and installed them just fine on separate sites, both running PHP 7.4.

Looks like some changes to 3.0.3.8 were made in the last couple of months to require PHP 8.0??? The biggest issue, however, is that I cannot get past this JSON error. Going to post a more specific post in the Upgrade section of the forum, but welcome any answers here.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

opencart_upgrade_error.jpg

opencart_upgrade_error.jpg (106.1 KiB) Viewed 8436 times

Increase Your Child's I.Q.
iPad Wallpapers
Turtle & Tortoise Screen Savers

Location - San Diego, CA

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by glolar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:51 pm

What do you mean? How does that help me? Is this link to a NEWER version of 3.0.3.8 that will fix my problem?

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:56 pm

Maybe now you understand....
glolar wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:50 pm
I just uploaded 3.0.3.8 (GitHub version) to my site, went to the /install folder in the browser, and got a message saying "PHP 8.0+ Required",

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by glolar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:13 pm

xxvirusxx wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:56 pm
Maybe now you understand....
glolar wrote:
I just uploaded 3.0.3.8 (GitHub version) to my site, went to the /install folder in the browser, and got a message saying "PHP 8.0+ Required",
No, I really don't understand. Would you please clarify? Thank you.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:21 pm

Lol...WTF?

There is no OC 3.0.3.8 with minimum PHP 8..... required

You have downloaded wrong version....

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by glolar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:30 pm

xxvirusxx wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:21 pm
Lol...WTF?

Hey, wiseguy, I clicked on the Github link on the OpenCart download page, which took me here:

https://github.com/opencart/opencart

Then I clicked the Green Code button and downloaded the Zip. If you look at the Overview Section on that very same page, it says:

PHP >= 8.0 Release v3.0.3.8

Also, the name of the download Zip file doesn't indicate what version is being downloaded. How the hell was I supposed to know?

WTF???

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:32 pm

If you don't know how Github work better download from Opencart website :)

Also a tips for you.... You can check OC version in index.php file...

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:39 pm

glolar wrote:
xxvirusxx wrote:
> PHP 7.3
I don't think so. I just uploaded 3.0.3.8 (GitHub version) to my site, went to the /install folder in the browser, and got a message saying "PHP 8.0+ Required", and the upgrade script never launched.
You can think what you want.
Fact is, that the official 3.0.3.8 release requires at least php 7.3.0 as minimum!
See system/startup.php:

Code: Select all

// Check Version
if (version_compare(phpversion(), '7.3.0', '<') == true) {
	exit('PHP7.3+ Required');
}
What you may have downloaded is the unpublished, not released, upcoming OpenCart 4.x release:
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/bl ... tartup.php

And there you have this:

// Check Version
if (version_compare(phpversion(), '8.0.0', '<')) {
	exit('PHP8+ Required');
}
See also: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/bl ... tartup.php

If you make an update with that version, the same controller file is loaded, with the same check.
So please (!!), don't publish unwanted myths if you don't know what you are saying!

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:49 pm

glolar wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:30 pm
xxvirusxx wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:21 pm
Lol...WTF?

Hey, wiseguy, I clicked on the Github link on the OpenCart download page, which took me here:

https://github.com/opencart/opencart

Then I clicked the Green Code button and downloaded the Zip.
When I say, jump from the roof of the house (20+ stairs high) - you jump?
Guess no, same here: tell you to go to the OpenCart Github page, nobody is telling you to click the green button!
Instead there is link at the right side "Releases" > https://github.com/opencart/opencart/releases
where you will find the correct and official, published releases.
glolar wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:30 pm
If you look at the Overview Section on that very same page, it says:

Also, the name of the download Zip file doesn't indicate what version is being downloaded. How the hell was I supposed to know?
First: the announcement of php 8.0 for 3.0.3.8 is WRONG!
Correct is php 7.3.x

Not your fault, of course, but as it seems you don't know how to work with Github, I suggest you leave it up to others posting here about.

p.s.: and stop swearing here!

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by glolar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:08 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:39 pm
glolar wrote:
xxvirusxx wrote:
> PHP 7.3
You can think what you want.
Fact is, that the official 3.0.3.8 release requires at least php 7.3.0 as minimum!
See system/startup.php:

// Check Version
if (version_compare(phpversion(), '7.3.0', '<') == true) {
	exit('PHP7.3+ Required');
}
What you may have downloaded is the unpublished, not released, upcoming OpenCart 4.x release:
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/bl ... tartup.php

And there you have this:

// Check Version
if (version_compare(phpversion(), '8.0.0', '<')) {
	exit('PHP8+ Required');
}
See also: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/bl ... tartup.php

If you make an update with that version, the same controller file is loaded, with the same check.
So please (!!), don't publish unwanted myths if you don't know what you are saying!
You are right, I mistakenly uploaded the 4.0 release. As for publishing unwanted myths, I got the (mis)information right from the GitHub page. It says in the Overview section:

so don't blame me.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:31 pm

Using Github can be a dangerous game!
If someone does not know exactly how to handle it, it may lead quickly to unwanted results.

Additonally if published informations are wrong.
Which is the case here, and I already highlighted that a few months ago: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/10263

So just to summarize this here (and close):

Minimum php version for the latest and official OpenCart release (3.0.3.8 ) IS 7.3.0
For the new - and already not finished nor published release 4.x - 8.0.0

Guru Member

Location - Austria