Post by Olivia Hoshy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:21 am

Hi,

OpenCart Version 3.0.2.0

Just quickly - I am not an experienced web developer, however I am in charge of the company's website. I have very basic understanding of coding, I make subtle changes to the website homepage using 'Theme editor' in Opencart back end using Twig (for me I would call this HTML, but I wouldn't understand - sorry if this terminology is wrong). All I know is that I can make some changes in coding on this.

I believe that I somehow messed up some code in the 'common/header', which I had to rectify and I have managed to fix. Although now, the search bar has reset to the default (I think) meaning products do not appear highlighted in a drop down when you type in the product. We installed a 'Smart Search' module a few years ago which worked perfectly, but now the highlighted drop down suggestions don't appear - I believe it is something to do with this?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated, as now I just don't know what to do.

Thanks.
Last edited by Olivia Hoshy on Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by mikeinterserv » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:27 am

Well if you are using theme editor there will be a conflict with extensions.
So smart search will not work correctly if the same files are used that you edit in theme editor.

Location - Wales

Post by Olivia Hoshy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:23 pm

mikeinterserv wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:27 am
Well if you are using theme editor there will be a conflict with extensions.
So smart search will not work correctly if the same files are used that you edit in theme editor.
Right I see, is there a way to fix this or merge these files?

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Olivia Hoshy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:23 pm
Yep never use the theme editor in the admin, it causes all sorts of problems.

You'll need to take what's been changed in there and apply it to the theme files directly.

It might be one for a back-end focused development company like ourselves.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by mikeinterserv » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:06 pm

Olivia Hoshy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:23 pm
Yes
You can either incorporate your changes and add them to the extension install
OR
Another OCMod to make your changes required to the header.
If you find it confusing or difficult I will do it for you if you tell me what you want changed.

Location - Wales

Post by Johnathan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:38 pm

If you are using my Smart Search extension, then please contact me here and I can assist:

www.getclearthinking.com/contact

It does indeed sound like using the Theme Editor is the issue, so you can either copy those changes into the actual .twig file and then stop using the Theme Editor, or I can describe the edit you'd need to trigger my extension's hook. (It's very easy, just one line, but if you have other extensions that affect the "common/header" file, it may be a better idea to avoid the Theme Editor instead.)

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by galianedeva » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:37 am

thank to theme editor which i use for the 1st time , i got so many problems today , All the time i use ftp with no probl but why i decide today so? , no idea . Duh , only nerves brought me
what i note is that the file must be closed after each change by X then open it anew otherwise there is "horror" with the changes

Post by mikeinterserv » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:51 am

galianedeva wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:37 am
thank to theme editor which i use for the 1st time , i got so many problems today , All the time i use ftp with no probl but why i decide today so? , no idea . Duh , only nerves brought me
what i note is that the file must be closed after each change by X then open it anew otherwise there is "horror" with the changes
Well you'll be OK when you understand how it works ( or doesn't )

Location - Wales

Post by Olivia Hoshy » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:14 pm

Thank you to everyone who posted with assistance regarding my query!

The issue is now fixed on my side :)