Post by Mph » Sun May 15, 2022 11:30 am

Hello, I wanted to ask about the security of the opencart store. If I have a store based on version 3.0.2.0, I must always update to the latest version or can I stay with the version that I currently have? And how to secure the store in addition to the ssl certificate? Regards.

Mph

Post by by mona » Sun May 15, 2022 1:08 pm

1. Question is too broad to be answered.
Do not give your password to anyone??
Search the forum there are many specific questions from brute force attacks to password protection.
viewtopic.php?t=216251

2. Any attempt to answer the question with any real substance would only serve to assist the opposite purpose of the question.
Opencart is open source and this is a public forum.

All software gets updated, keep yourself informed.
It is correct to keep software updated, but there is no reason that OC1 can not be as secure, it requires some effort and knowledge.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by Mph » Sun May 15, 2022 3:26 pm

I understand, but I heard that you should update every time, but then everything has to be set up again, from language translations that are not there to the latest versions, through other stuff, etc, it's difficult and takes too much time. So if I have to do it with each new version, I should probably choose something else?
So I ask for an answer if possible, every time reinstalling to the new version is necessary? Can I stay with the earlier version?

Mph

Post by by mona » Sun May 15, 2022 4:10 pm

You do not need to update every time a new release is made.
There are major changes from OC1 to OC2 to OC3

You do not NEED to upgrade to a newer OC version EVEN IF it is a major release, but you need to keep it updated. Some people are STILL using OC1 and are very happy with that, but it does requires updating from php5.4 to php7 and soon 8 .. that is not upgrading to the newest OC in totality, but it is keeping yourself informed and up to date.

FYI - You can move to any software you like - the example above applies to all.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Sun May 15, 2022 10:57 pm

Well, one should also look at the Situation from a (Software) Vendor's point of view, like Microsoft and/or others, they all have to create income, to stay in Business, over an extended period of time. And the same is valid for Opencart, as well as OC Extension Creators, without new Versions, their Market and Income would dry out, up to the point of no survival. And as MONA mentioned, many (OC) Users still use older Versions, as long as they work secure and meet today's Spec's like latest PHP Versions and responsive Theme Layouts. It's therefore more a 'personal' decision, to either frequently 'move up', or to stay with, what already works. Some popular OC Versions are 'privately' maintained and frequently updated by partly well kown OC-Insiders, just to have this mentioned too.

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by paulfeakins » Mon May 16, 2022 6:59 pm

Mph wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:30 am
Hello, I wanted to ask about the security of the opencart store. If I have a store based on version 3.0.2.0
I'm not aware of security issues but that release is known to have a few bugs.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Mph » Wed May 18, 2022 12:16 am

In that case, which of the earlier or later ones (not the newest ones because I don't have a language translation) is well stable and quite secure?

Mph

Post by IP_CAM » Wed May 18, 2022 1:00 am

You could select one of (OC Forum Member xxvirusxx) on Github condor2's modified OC Versions, shown on my Github front Page, to get a working version, he's got an OC v.2.3.x and an OC v.3.x, both with some Extensions and already able to use latest PHP v.8.1:
https://github.com/IP-CAM

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland