Post by powersportpilot » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:26 am

Upgraded to 4.0 and now hundreds of dollars spent on 3.x extensions are useless! Extension installer does absolutely nothing when attempting to upload! Solutions please.

Post by Johnathan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:23 am

1. In general, you never want to use a brand new OpenCart version. They tend to have quite a few bugs, so it will take a few months to iron out all the minor problems. (Developers have asked Daniel for proper release candidates before releasing a new version, but he doesn't seem to believe in them, so this is just how it is.) The extension installer in particular has a few bugs, so I wouldn't recommend using 4.0 until that is fixed.

2. You don't need to upgrade OpenCart unless there's a new feature you really, really want. In fact, most of us recommend NOT upgrading OpenCart if you're not having any problems. All of the 2.x and 3.0 versions are secure and (mostly) stable, so you don't need to upgrade regularly like you do with something like WordPress.

3. Daniel made the decision to change the extension system quite a bit in OpenCart 4.0. Unfortunately, this means developers will need to rewrite parts of their extensions in order to make them compatible. This will take time, so it's another reason to wait to upgrade.

4. Many developers give free updates for a certain period of time, so depending on when you purchased an extension, you may still qualify for a 4.0 version. However, that's dependent on the developer's own policies. It's another good reason to stick with the version you have if possible.

Hope that helps clarify some things for you and for others.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by powersportpilot » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:13 pm

Johnathan. Although your reply is greatly appreciated, the outcome of this upgrade has been anything but favorable. If 4.0.0.0 has so many bugs and still needs developement, then why has it been touted as the best version ever?
Yes, I had chosen to upgrade because a feature never before offered had sparked my interests "One Click Upgrade", because we all know that the upgrade process to newer versions of OpenCart had previously been anything but seemless or quick!
Dissapointed is an understatement...

Post by Johnathan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:51 am

Unfortunately, the things you're talking about are all decisions made by the owner of OpenCart (Daniel) and whoever he delegates to. Most developers that work with OpenCart (including myself) agree with you, but we have no control over what happens for the OpenCart software itself.

A more rigorous testing process for release would be a very good thing, especially for a major new version like 4.0, but at this point I don't see it happening, so we have to just work around the problems. Many people have asked Daniel to consider this in the past, and it just seems like it's not a big deal to him. The initial release of 2.0 and 3.0 were the same, so at this point I don't think he's going to change his ways.

You could try sending the OpenCart team your feedback, just to keep it on their radar:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... rt/contact

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator