Post by cryptic.azn » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi,

I'm new to using opencart. Version 1.5.4

How do I change manufacturer and Brands to artists ?

I searched online and found "catalog / language / english / product / manufacturer.php" How do I get there. Is it from the Open Cart administration? because I don't see "language" under catalogue.

I paid someone to set up website but he's having family bereavement... thus I have to finish it myself..

Many thanks

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 am

You will need to use an FTP client, download the files from your store via FTP and edit them, then upload them. It's not possible to do this through the admin interface

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by nosecret » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Post by NL Wall Art » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Is there actually a free way of doing this? Like changing one of the language files?

Our Website: http://nlwallart.co.uk
Email: hello@nlwallart.co.uk

Location - Sheffield, UK

Post by butte » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:07 am

To cut to the chase, the language "Manufacturer[s]" is found in one or more Language .php files (how many may vary with version), and wherever you see the term "Manufacturer[s]" you may change it manually to "Artist[s]" but it is imperative to change only that (between quotation marks and preserving the ";" ending the line). The "[s]" means it may or may not be plural where you find it, and you may want to make it singular or plural anyway.

First get the Language files; they're in two directories' (sub)trees named Language--one under admin and one under catalog--and then in (sub)directories such as common, etc. (see infra). (Directory means Folder.) You can use FileZilla Client or any other competent FTP client, or you can probably use a File Manager inside your hosting account's control panel, in order to download the Language files. The Client will be the simplest way to bag both of the entire Language trees (the control panel may require your getting files one by one). Make a safety copy of everything you downloaded. Bring up a decent ascii text editor--a pure text editor that introduces no "word processing" gibberish at all, such as freeware Crimson Editor; Windows Notepad has some odd quirks, and if you use an actual word processor be certain to export in pure ascii format. If you can load several files at once, then in a decent pure text editor you can "change all" in "all files" at once in order to change every instance, and even "save all" in one stroke. If you do that, however, be certain to make the changes only to the right of the "=" or ":" (such as by swiping and copy-pasting "Manufacturer"; or 'Manufacturer'; exactly as you find it, and changing to "Artist"; or 'Artist';"); never to the left of the "=" or ":", because the executing code is still looking to the string manufacturer and you do not need (or want, actually) to change that cross-reference in every solitary file where it appears and executes. Look specifically under the subdirectories named catalog, common, and module, for the files named "manufacturer.php" and edit (and save) those; from both Language trees. When that is done, send them back to the server, being certain to nest the changed ones exactly where they were. You should then see Artist(s) where you had seen Manufacturer(s).

It is imperative to preserve machine-readable syntax and punctuation in Language, style, script, and most other sorts of files. The processor takes 'em as they come, and executes 'em whether that makes sense any longer or not. Notice the syntax and punctuation before you mess with it. The entire reason for the Language files is parallel to the entire reason for style files, in order to summon via code a fixed state or string without having (necessarily) to repeat it everywhere it might be summoned. (To oversimplify, calling up "$name_of_it" is simpler than having to ensure that typing is perfect everywhere that instead the actual insertion of "Antidisestablishmentarianism in a Modern World as Interpreted by Academicians" would appear, even if the code might be longer than the insertion, as where "name_this_puppy_color" is longer than "#000000" or "black" but is more readily amended in a few style sheets than everywhere black pops up.) And so it is that you make your change only to the right of the "=" or ":" separator, not to the left of it, whether you make the changes one by one or en masse.

Guru Member