Post by Earnshaw24 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:52 pm

Sorry, there wasn't really a forum for this but is there a OpenCart style CMS for just everyday websites? I love the way it's made.

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Are you looking for a CMS software based upon OpenCart? Even though OpenCart is a shopping cart solution, its clean MVC design allows it with some simple tweaking to be used as a simple CMS, too, if that's what are you after.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus

Expert Member

Post by Earnshaw24 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:38 pm

Yesh either that or a cms that is similar to opencart in ease of use.

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:08 pm

Even though OpenCart wasn't designed as a CMS, it can easily be tweaked to be used as a CMS.

Just install the Category Descriptions extension (Bruce, is that one now available for the latest version 0.7.8, too?)

Then edit your category-specific template files and controllers to include the new description field.

Categories can be nested, they don't need to have products, and their descriptions are the actual content.
See for example http://www.vcsproducts.com.au/index.php ... ry&path=14 where the info-pages are actually based upon category descriptions which were all edited via the OpenCart admin panel.
Last edited by JNeuhoff on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus

Expert Member

Post by fido-x » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm pretty much doing this sort of thing with my own website (http://www.fido-x.net/).

Because of OpenCart's modular nature, it is relatively easy to add extra features by way of modular expansion - you'll have to add extra tables to the database to achieve the desired results. I've added about 10 extra tables to my own setup to add extra features.

Personally, I think OpenCart is absolutely brilliant.

Regards, Fido-X.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia