Post by mkp007 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:07 am

My company Vorticy.com has several brands such as Pong-O.com and BagToss.com. At the moment, Pong-O.com is running on Modx and BagToss.com is basic html. I'm using E-Junkie as my eCommerce solution for both sites. Actually, I use the same account for both brands, I just change some images in the shopping cart to distinguish the two. I want to use OpenCart but I don't think it will coexist with Modx.

It would be great for customers to seamlessly add products for BagToss.com and Pong-O.com to the same cart. So, I'm wondering if I should install OpenCart onto Vorticy.com or a subdomain like shop.Vorticy.com. So when a customer on BagToss.com wants to add a product to the cart, they will be directed over to shop.vorticy.com/bagtoss/custom-cornhole-sets (or something like that) where they can select options and add to cart.

BagToss.com and Pong-O.com will simply be content sites for SEO and branding purposes so they could still be on Modx.

I'm open to paying someone to help me create this solution so that it is near seamless for the customer. I'm concerned about how the customer will interact between the sites and if information in the cart will be retained. The customer will likely bounce back and forth between bagtoss.com and shop.vorticy.com gathering information and adding products to the cart. This will take some thought to determine what to have on both sites to make it easier for the customer and better for SEO.

This method has an advantage that I don't need separate carts for each brand we develop. An addition, we can cross promote better. Also, customers will understand better that Vorticy is the company and BagToss is a brand.

thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

Vorticy, Inc.
Opencart 1.5.6.4, MySQL 5.1.73-5, PHP 5.3.3-46, Plesk v12.0.18, OS CentOS 6

Post by MarketInSG » Fri May 10, 2013 9:10 am

OpenCart v1.5.5.1 should do what you need. Install it for one of your website, then set up a multi store for the other. Then remember to turn on shared session in system > settings.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by paulfeakins » Fri May 10, 2013 6:16 pm

MarketInSG wrote:OpenCart v1.5.5.1 should do what you need.
It sounds like it would but only with an extension like this: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=6329

However I haven't used this particular extension so I can't recommend it personally.

But take a look at a multi-store setup with a cart sharing extension.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by MarketInSG » Fri May 10, 2013 6:40 pm

OpenCart v1.5.5.1 has a hack for session sharing if I didn't remember wrongly. Maybe you should check it out too...
Use Shared Sessions:
Try to share the session cookie between stores so the cart can be passed between different domains.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by mkp007 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:09 pm

MarketInSG wrote:OpenCart v1.5.5.1 should do what you need. Install it for one of your website, then set up a multi store for the other. Then remember to turn on shared session in system > settings.
Good to know. Thx for the input. I'm still pulling my hair out trying to figure out if I should have a dedicated cart for each brand or if I should have one cart within vorticy.com. One cart would be easier to manage but I think the customer may get confused.

Vorticy, Inc.

Post by paulfeakins » Mon May 13, 2013 7:47 pm

mkp007 wrote:One cart would be easier to manage but I think the customer may get confused.
Probably do what's best for your users.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by MarketInSG » Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 pm

multi store function manages all orders in one admin panel. makes not much of a difference.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by mkp007 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:17 am

MarketInSG wrote:multi store function manages all orders in one admin panel. makes not much of a difference.
Some interesting links on the subject:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70720

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... ure&path=4

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=8698

Vorticy, Inc.