Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:05 pm

I feel 1.5.x is now getting to stable enough to the point where I have begun to start adding new features.

I'm current adding more reports and manual order editor ready for 1.5.1.

I want to build a list of features that can be added in 1.5.x as we progress with build numbers towards 1.6.0.

These are the features I'm planning on adding:

PayPal express
Google Checkout
FEDEX
Mail Chimp Integration
Multi Vendor System
Admin API (to get order info)
Image Options
PDF Invoices

Please feel free to add features that maybe important to improve OpenCart.

There is another thread here http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=13388 but this list can be updated later with features from this thread.

(Don't add features that your clients have requested and you don't know how to to develop them. You will be waiting a very long time.)
Last edited by i2Paq on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: 2.0 is out

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 pm

I think that a proper plugin system is much more important than a multi vendor system. I know we get a lot of requests for it on the forum, but they are just a vocal minority. Very few people need a multi vendor system, and even fewer will ever have any success with it.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:35 pm

what do u mean proper plugin system?

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:53 pm

plugins should be at the minimum bundled up into one file with an admin control where you can browse that file and install it track what plugins are installed etc. If it can be made to link back to the extension store so the users don't have to download the extension first even better. Look at pretty much any CMS on the market none of them require you to unzip the extension and upload all the files separately. The end user many times has no idea what ftp is. If you wanted to take it farther looking into hooks and class overrides would be good, but with the current situation most of this can be gotten around with vqmod, but of course that is not in the core distribution at this point either. Basically it needs to be made much easier for a non technical user to install extensions.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Daniel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:56 am

Xsecrets wrote:plugins should be at the minimum bundled up into one file with an admin control where you can browse that file and install it track what plugins are installed etc. If it can be made to link back to the extension store so the users don't have to download the extension first even better. Look at pretty much any CMS on the market none of them require you to unzip the extension and upload all the files separately. The end user many times has no idea what ftp is. If you wanted to take it farther looking into hooks and class overrides would be good, but with the current situation most of this can be gotten around with vqmod, but of course that is not in the core distribution at this point either. Basically it needs to be made much easier for a non technical user to install extensions.

yes i was thinking about adding vqmod to the core. only well tested plugins would be available to purchase directory via the admin.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:06 am

Daniel wrote: only well tested plugins would be available to purchase directory via the admin.
I agree that's why I tacked that to the end. Obviously there needs to be lots of thought put into how to handle getting plugins directly from the admin, but I think getting some sort of single file upload system in place in the admin should happen sooner rather than later.

It shouldn't be too hard to do if vqmod is in the core you just have the packages be zip or tgz or something then it extracts the vqmod. You add another field at the top of the vqmod file with a list of the other files included in the package and it can extract those with checks to make sure it won't overwrite any core files. Then you can have a page in the admin that simply scans the vqmod folder to check and see what extensions are installed. You can even have an enable/disable that renames the .xml to .xml_ or something and a unistall option that will check the vqmod parameter for other files unlink them all then unlink the vqmod file.

I know it's quite a bit of work, but I really think it's something that should be done before you start looking at things like multi-vendor that will add lots of complexity to the cart to server a small population of users.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by scanreg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:12 am

Product Options Stock Control

as generally discussed here:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30374

To track stock based on more than one option

This would be a substantial and for me a critical feature

Thanks

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:31 am

scanreg wrote:Product Options Stock Control

as generally discussed here:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30374

To track stock based on more than one option

This would be a substantial and for me a critical feature

Thanks
yes I would actually put that above multi-vendor as well, but this is a very complicated issue, and not really something that many other carts have in their base install. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is magento, and it's a big pain to setup in magento.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Maansy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:08 am

1.6 road map already? Daniel is on fire hehe
Ok here is my thoughts:
1- a FULL guest checkout.
Recently I bought a product for my car from summitracing dot com. The cart software weren't that feature loaded but actually I checked out without filling a single form in their store. When checking out I click on paypal then i logged in paypal website then paid. Then directed back to their store and then a customer # was created for me and the password was emailed to me in case I want to log in to their store to check the status of my shipment.
All the shipping info and my email was pulled from paypal.
IMHO it was kinda neat.

2- Also in summitracing dot com, their thank you page was beefed up. When i was directed back to their store. I could actual see a thank you msg with a FULL reciept of my purchase and ability to print or email. It was neat as well.

I know more thoughts will come...
Sorry if any of these ideas already implemented in the 1.5 since I haven't fully go through every option yet ;)

Cheers

ALL Templates :: 1.5.1+ Templates :: 50%-75% PRICE DROP ONLY at OpencartStuff.com

Post by budfox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:57 am

A source editor that leaves my line breaks and spacing intact. Ideally that doesn't put extra blank paragraph tags where I don't want the, (no offence, you probably wrote it and I know I couldn't)

Great work though, really great.

Post by allenshea » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:10 am

Please add multi-selection for Download Order Status and Manufacturer,

we have same item for different Manufacturer, but currently copy the same item to fit different Manufacturer isn't the best way to do.

I know nothing about PHP and SQL, but I still try my best to understand it.

Post by budfox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 am

An easy way to make Grid view the default option please.

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:55 am

Maansy wrote:1.6 road map already? Daniel is on fire hehe
Ok here is my thoughts:
Recently I bought a product for my car from summitracing dot com. The cart software weren't that feature loaded but actually I checked out without filling a single form in their store. When checking out I click on paypal then i logged in paypal website then paid. Then directed back to their store and then a customer # was created for me and the password was emailed to me in case I want to log in to their store to check the status of my shipment.
IMHO it was kinda neat.
this is called paypal express it is currently available as a module from qphoria and was on the list from Daniels first post.
2- Also in summitracing dot com, their thank you page was beefed up. When i was directed back to their store. I could actual see a thank you msg with a FULL reciept of my purchase and ability to print or email. It was neat as well.
yes I would love to see something like this, and I know Q had expressed an interest in doing this, so I'm sure it will come at some point. The other benefit of this is that it will expose the order info so that it can be used by tracking scripts.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:57 am

allenshea wrote:Please add multi-selection for Download Order Status and Manufacturer,

we have same item for different Manufacturer, but currently copy the same item to fit different Manufacturer isn't the best way to do.
I'll give you download order status. That makes sense, but if you are taking it literally you cannot have more than one manufacturer for a product. Only one person made that product. My guess is you are using it for brands of product it fits like an automobile site, but really a better solution for the auto industry should be created, probably as a separate module.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by allenshea » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:05 am

Xsecrets wrote:
allenshea wrote:Please add multi-selection for Download Order Status and Manufacturer,

I'll give you download order status. That makes sense, but if you are taking it literally you cannot have more than one manufacturer for a product. Only one person made that product. My guess is you are using it for brands of product it fits like an automobile site, but really a better solution for the auto industry should be created, probably as a separate module.

Yes, we are selling motorcycle spare parts, it is similar as auto parts. same parts can fit different brands. This is why we need multi-selection for manufacturer.

I know nothing about PHP and SQL, but I still try my best to understand it.

Post by Maansy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:17 am

Xsecrets wrote:
Maansy wrote:1.6 road map already? Daniel is on fire hehe
Ok here is my thoughts:
IMHO it was kinda neat.
this is called paypal express it is currently available as a module from qphoria and was on the list from Daniels first post.
Oh nice. I didn't know that paypal express does create an account for you already and your password get sent to your email.
Thanks Xsecret for elaborating this point. Thank you Daniel for considering it for the 1.6

ALL Templates :: 1.5.1+ Templates :: 50%-75% PRICE DROP ONLY at OpencartStuff.com

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:16 pm

allenshea wrote:
Xsecrets wrote:

Yes, we are selling motorcycle spare parts, it is similar as auto parts. same parts can fit different brands. This is why we need multi-selection for manufacturer.
well yes the same part fits different brands, but that part is only manufactured by one company. I understand what you are trying to do, but there are much better ways to do it. I don't really think we need to complicate the manufacturer for people who use it properly.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by marcelwoo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Is it possible to integrate such a feature?

In the product page of the front end, buyers can paste external image links(like they upload their product photos onto photobucket.com) and youtube video links then upload the links for admin's authorization.
Once Admin enable the links, their shared videos and product images are displayed on the top of the review section.
Admin can set in the backend how many reward points buyers get for enabled shared images or youtube videos.

I think those shared photos and videos help to motivate visitors to buy and the shared photos and videos let viewers off your sites know you are selling something and contributes to attracting more traffic to your site.

Thx.

"We help each other to grow". That's the opencart community!

All free mods
Home Based Ebay business Opportunity(not ads)

Post by toners4u » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:11 am

Hi Daniel - excellent job on 1.5
I'm sure I'm not alone in needing an option to set the search tool to search "product description" as standard rather than having to go into advanced search to get to this point. This may not suit everyone, which is why I've suggested having as an option.
I've tried out a couple of the 1.4 mods but they didnt seem to work on 1.5

Cheers

Ian

PS If you could drop this into 1.51 that would be even better :)

Post by InnoSite » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:24 am

I think the price dynamically update itself in product.tpl depending on what options are selected.