Post by Julian » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:40 am

Xsecrets wrote:
Julian wrote:HTML5 and CSS3 powered template would be cool.
well that's certainly something that can be done by a third party, but if it was put in by default there would be a huge uproar. If you look around the forums you'll see that there are still alot of people here who complain about IE6 issues even stupid ones like the admin not looking right in ie6, so if you went and completely broke the layout for all older browsers I think there would be massive blowback.
I hope by the time 1.6 will be released it's more viable to do this.

Post by banane » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:01 am

by the way even Wordpress 3.2 doesn't support IE6 anymore

Post by atulagarwal56 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:29 am

How about having mobile version of OC. Both store front as well as the admin. I know that there is mobicart, but am not very sure if that is a solution which many store owners would want to use.
I certainly feel that having a mobile store front will find many takers.

Location - India

Post by Xsecrets » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 am

atulagarwal56 wrote:How about having mobile version of OC. Both store front as well as the admin. I know that there is mobicart, but am not very sure if that is a solution which many store owners would want to use.
I certainly feel that having a mobile store front will find many takers.
a mobile store front would be a very interesting option, but I don't know so much about admin.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by atulagarwal56 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:10 am

Yes a store front makes more sense. Admin part can be still delayed. But I think there will be many takers for mobile store front. We live in the age of smartphones and iPads. A mobile store where people can actually surf quickly and buy will be great.

Location - India

Post by Johnathan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Has anyone actually tried using OpenCart on a mobile device? I've browsed one of my sites on an iPad, but I haven't ever tried to checkout. It seemed like it worked normally, so I would think you'd still be able to check out.

If that's the case, it's a just a template change.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:09 pm

well there's some javascript in the checkout, but that shouldn't be an issue in any phone you would want to be shopping from. It should be easy enough to do a mobile theme. I actually played with the idea a while back, but got busy with other stuff an never finished. My idea was to create a mulit-store with m.blah.com and put the mobile theme there. The only problem with that is that then you need a wildcard ssl A better solution would be to put in just a bit of browser detection code and kick the person over to the mobile theme automatically.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by atulagarwal56 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Xsecrets wrote:well there's some javascript in the checkout, but that shouldn't be an issue in any phone you would want to be shopping from. It should be easy enough to do a mobile theme. I actually played with the idea a while back, but got busy with other stuff an never finished. My idea was to create a mulit-store with m.blah.com and put the mobile theme there. The only problem with that is that then you need a wildcard ssl A better solution would be to put in just a bit of browser detection code and kick the person over to the mobile theme automatically.
I have done the mobile detection on my website. you can check m.teesort.com
Right now its only a static html page I made for mobile phone. I did this taking help from a tutorial online.

Location - India

Post by zeroevil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 am

Daniel wrote:
Xsecrets wrote:plugins should be at the minimum bundled up into one file with an admin control where you can browse that file and install it track what plugins are installed etc. If it can be made to link back to the extension store so the users don't have to download the extension first even better. Look at pretty much any CMS on the market none of them require you to unzip the extension and upload all the files separately. The end user many times has no idea what ftp is. If you wanted to take it farther looking into hooks and class overrides would be good, but with the current situation most of this can be gotten around with vqmod, but of course that is not in the core distribution at this point either. Basically it needs to be made much easier for a non technical user to install extensions.

yes i was thinking about adding vqmod to the core. only well tested plugins would be available to purchase directory via the admin.
vqmod is nice don't get me wrong but I've worked on another project before that has a plugin system that suits Xsecrets description better. i suggest looking at the pulgin system that is running in PFSense web interface http://www.pfsense.org/ this is much easier and hassle free to use. What xsecrets is suggesting is to have a real package management system along the lines of RPM, Ports or Apt-Get. having a system like that would go along way and make the task of novice administering that less daunting.

I recently moved to the island formally owned by Dr. Moreau and currently live there lost in a ocean of computer code with my cat Nigel... help us!!!

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 am

zeroevil wrote: vqmod is nice don't get me wrong but I've worked on another project before that has a plugin system that suits Xsecrets description better. i suggest looking at the pulgin system that is running in PFSense web interface http://www.pfsense.org/ this is much easier and hassle free to use. What xsecrets is suggesting is to have a real package management system along the lines of RPM, Ports or Apt-Get. having a system like that would go along way and make the task of novice administering that less daunting.
Well yes and no. I was thinking about a gui management system, but it would utilize vqmod to allow plugins to make changes to core files. Someone recently released a gui management for vqmods, but the system needs to be expanded to include packages so that you can have new files as well. I think daniel understands what I am proposing.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by zeroevil » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Xsecrets wrote:Well yes and no. I was thinking about a gui management system, but it would utilize vqmod to allow plugins to make changes to core files. Someone recently released a gui management for vqmods, but the system needs to be expanded to include packages so that you can have new files as well. I think daniel understands what I am proposing.
then i would highly suggest looking at the pfsense package management system at http://www.pfsense.org/. maybe it will give everyone some ideas on how it should operate, run & etc. etc. I just love the idea of just running thru a list of free/commercial clicking on a button and installing a mod without having to edit any files manually. such a system i think would really set OC apart from everyone else out there.

I recently moved to the island formally owned by Dr. Moreau and currently live there lost in a ocean of computer code with my cat Nigel... help us!!!

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:07 pm

well there aren't many shopping carts with it, but pretty much every cms has it, so I think people have plenty of examples to pull from. besides pfsense is not really a good example at all. It's an OS not a program.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by unclek » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:28 pm

For Image Options, the ability to have a generic product option such as "Fabric" (a select with an image preview), but that does not need to have specific option values specified - options values apply across all products that have the Fabric options specified.

[ thumbnail ] Fabric Style : [ Paisley | V ]

Post by Xsecrets » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:49 pm

unclek wrote:For Image Options, the ability to have a generic product option such as "Fabric" (a select with an image preview), but that does not need to have specific option values specified - options values apply across all products that have the Fabric options specified.

[ thumbnail ] Fabric Style : [ Paisley | V ]
sorry, but things like this are far to specific to be included in the core. Things like this aimed at a small subset of sellers should be handled as mods.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by alex.lin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 am

it would be great if opencart could reduce duplicate code,and separate the validation rule in one place. currently, it is hard to change the validation rule, you have to modified many file if you want to apply new validation rule.

also it would great if opencart could keep compatibility between the new version and the old one.

Opencart Developer

- http://www.cnopencart.com opencart中文站

Post by losvre » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Hello Daniel and all the team.

I have to thank you all for this great software. It's a life saver to have a truly open source e-commerce that is so good.

You may have already think of this but I would like to suggest that a mobile compatibility is becoming more and more needed as in a few months or 1-2 year most people would do the shopping or some shopping from mobile devices.

Best
Nikos

Post by zeroevil » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Xsecrets wrote:well there aren't many shopping carts with it, but pretty much every cms has it, so I think people have plenty of examples to pull from. besides pfsense is not really a good example at all. It's an OS not a program.
I'm talking about the web interface "Application Layer" of pfsense not the os side of it. BSD is part of it but if you think about it in the long run using the OSI model OC & PF have the same elements, its just the former has less layers to deal with then the latter. But if you require only an app layer example only to draw from I think Joomla has a similar system.

Post by zeroevil » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 pm

OOOOHHH!! and my other suggestion and this one is kinda a stretch but after reading some comments from OC developers and mod developers and shop users. I think a built in update system would work wonders for mostly everyone. If 1.6 has an update system in the shops that will update the shops cart files & DB via the admin panel. Now I seen some CMS's and other web apps do this and since quite a few people complained about the quick rollout of 1.5.1 and with 1.5.1.1 on the horizon. It might be time to start thinking about how to expand OC to the next stage of its evolution by adding this kind of feature. It would make updating easy for most people, although it would require abit of a rethink on OC i think it would be a feature definitely worth looking into.

So basically when the OC time releases updates for Open Cart you can just update it via the admin panel. Similar to the the suggestion of adding an interface for MoD updates but for the cart itself.

Post by LRPPStudio » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:03 pm

For the 1.6 can you ADD to the Roadmap :

- Make a Wizard to do the OpenCart update, like WordPress?
- Design an interface backoffice able to manage, add or edit translations added in later versions?
All users OpenCart administrator and users (custommers) are not English.

David
[Open Cart v1.5.0.3]

Location - France

Post by rph » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:01 pm

zeroevil wrote:So basically when the OC time releases updates for Open Cart you can just update it via the admin panel.
Given the way OpenCart works that would essentially amount to a "break my shop now" button for anyone who does any serious customization to their shop with modules, themes, extensions, etc.

A better change might be breaking up OpenCart into bug fix releases (which could conceivably have some automation), feature releases, and version/core releases.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska