Post by pitkin2020 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Hello (me again lol)

I installed a Vqmod for the removal of the wish list and comparision of products in my test site but since doing it the site has become really slow. I haven't set up the store properly yet as i'm still testing features etc so there is barely anything to load, is this normal of Vqmods or maybe this is a bad mod??

http://www.devonsigncompany.co.uk is the URL the store is currently at. Just to add I also have another site hosted with my host godaddy which is Wordpress site with LOADS of pictures and thats loading perfectly quick so I don't think its a host/internet connection issue rather store related.
Last edited by pitkin2020 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by uksitebuilder » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:38 pm

What version of vQmod do you have ?

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by pitkin2020 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:20 am

uksitebuilder wrote:What version of vQmod do you have ?
it was the latest version I downloaded from the vQmod thread. 2.0 IIRC

this was the mod http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... order=DESC

Post by uksitebuilder » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:31 am

OK, I would suggest updating vqmod first of all to 2.1.1 from vqmod.com

Updating should be easy enough.

Then, I suggest editing your index.php and admin/index.php files to change

Code: Select all

// VirtualQMOD
require_once('./vqmod/vqmod.php');
$vqmod = new VQMod();
to

// VirtualQMOD
$vqmod = new VQMod(false, true);
$vqmod->useCache = true; 
This will stop the regenerating of cache files and should improve performance a little

You should check if any log files are being generated in your vqmod folder to see if there are any errors.

Guru Member

Post by pitkin2020 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:40 am

ideal, thanks for that i'll give it a try and report back

Post by pitkin2020 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:28 am

uksitebuilder wrote:OK, I would suggest updating vqmod first of all to 2.1.1 from vqmod.com

// VirtualQMOD
$vqmod = new VQMod();
to

// VirtualQMOD
$vqmod->useCache = true; 
This will stop the regenerating of cache files and should improve performance a little

You should check if any log files are being generated in your vqmod folder to see if there are any errors.
I can change the index.php but the admin/index.php doesn't have that line in it?? I have changed the name of my admin folder (IIRC) before I installed VqMOD and I have obviously looked at the index.php file in the newly named folder but there is nothing in there for VQmod??

Post by labeshops » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:39 am

You need to add those lines into the admin index file then. That might be what is causing your problem. I have more than a few vqmods installed and a LOT more products/categories than you and do not have the performance issue.

I have renamed my admin folder as well and before I install any vqmod scripts, I look at the xml file and replace all occurrences of "admin/" with "myname/". If you don't do this, the mods will not work.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Qphoria » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:32 am

The latest version of vQmod (2.1.4) also has a new feature that will cut down on unnecessary reloads of files due to multiple ajax callbacks. So performance should be even better than it already was when not using useCache

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:03 pm

Qphoria wrote:The latest version of vQmod (2.1.4) also has a new feature that will cut down on unnecessary reloads of files due to multiple ajax callbacks. So performance should be even better than it already was when not using useCache
well I guess that's good, but it would be nice to see the issue of way too many ajax callbacks fixed.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by pitkin2020 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:25 pm

I am using vqmod 2.1.4 now and uksb's code above and its definitely quicker. Thanks for all the help everyone (esp UKSB nice bit of code!)

Post by Qphoria » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Xsecrets wrote:
Qphoria wrote:The latest version of vQmod (2.1.4) also has a new feature that will cut down on unnecessary reloads of files due to multiple ajax callbacks. So performance should be even better than it already was when not using useCache
well I guess that's good, but it would be nice to see the issue of way too many ajax callbacks fixed.
I guess I dont really see it as an issue. It is just how the page loads. It is only an issue with vQmod because it has to re-write the vqcache file each time and the file gets locked up while writing, but now it should just be normal.

I think a bigger issue is perhaps the fact that as more and more fields get added to the product page, people are going to start hitting the max post size limit's faster. I'm thinking perhaps an ajax based auto-save may be better for options where by adding a new option gets saved instantly rather than with the other fields.

So instead of the "Add Option Value" button that generates a new html line, there would only be a single form.. You fill it in, and click "Add" and it inserts the record directly into the database. A new row is then added to the bottom of the list of option values, just text (not inputs) with a delete button. Then something like jeditable or whatever can be used for edit-in-place but all options would be posted back separately

That would fix both the overuse of ajax on that page AND the memory timeouts

Administrator

Post by pitkin2020 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:31 pm

you really sound like you know what you are talking about but you lost me after "I guess I dont really see it as an issue" lol.

Post by Qphoria » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Here's a quick workup:

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:55 pm

yes that would be good, but the REAL problem is that you do a seperate ajax call back to the server to get the values list for each and every value. So lets say you have 5 options with 10 values each then you are doing 50 callbacks to the server simultaneously and there is no need for it. The values list will never change within a given option so why not just make the call once and reuse it for each value then you take your calls down from 50 to 5. This is why we are having some people on the forums that keep getting locked out of their sites because of security rules. The rules will say something like autoban any ip that tries to make more than 50 calls in two seconds, but if you have lots of options and values you can easily exceed this and all the calls are made at the same time.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Qphoria » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:36 am

Xsecrets wrote:the REAL problem is that you do a seperate ajax call back to the server to get the values list for each and every value. So lets say you have 5 options with 10 values each then you are doing 50 callbacks to the server
I'm well aware of the problem hence the vQmod fix. Just saying that although it pegs the server quite hard, it hasn't been a visible issue for anyone yet not running vQmod that I know of.. But yea.. my idea above would resolve both issues.

Actually I was planning on this sort of design for list page inserts for things like currencies, languages, and countries that have fewer fields to avoid the whole edit page. Then you could have something like the filter box on top of the product page, but instead of filtering, it would be adding. That would speed things up overall.

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:50 am

yeah I like the idea. We actually have had three or for people on the forums getting blocked from their websites because of excessive calls when they are in the admin, and I'm fairly certain this page is the culprit.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Qphoria » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:30 am

Xsecrets wrote:yeah I like the idea. We actually have had three or for people on the forums getting blocked from their websites because of excessive calls when they are in the admin, and I'm fairly certain this page is the culprit.
Ah good to know.. I wasn't aware that people were hitting this but it does make sense... especially for those who have like 20 options

Administrator

Post by annelim » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:08 pm

where to download the vqmod v2.1.4?

Post by uksitebuilder » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Guru Member

Post by dony_b » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 pm

uksitebuilder wrote:OK, I would suggest updating vqmod first of all to 2.1.1 from vqmod.com

// VirtualQMOD
$vqmod = new VQMod();
to

// VirtualQMOD
$vqmod->useCache = true; 

So whats the real purpose of re-generating cache files if it affects performance ?

Location - Boston, MA