Post by deuce25 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm on the fence about whether to go with OC or PS for a client's e-commerce site. Can someone give me an honest comparison of them please? I've never used either one before. Having a great mobile version of the site is very important and the OC Mobile Framework extension looks nice. PS seems to have some responsive themes that are already mobile-friendly.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Post by i2Paq » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Prestashop?

Bloated with functions 70% does not use.
Bloated with modules and 3rd party crap 80% won't use.
Template-engine that you need a college degree to understand and work with.
You also need a degree to use PS.

OpenCart?
Ease of use.
(Almost) everything you want.

Ask yourself the question: "What do I need?"

The answer is: Which of the 2 suits your needs the most.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by deuce25 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks for your input.

Post by labeshops » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:32 pm

I've never used Prestashop but what I would suggest is set up test installations of both and give them a test. See which you or your client like more and have the features you need/like the most. At the very least, both have demos online so play with both front and back end that way.

Honestly, just about any cart will do for most people - if you want multistores you are a bit more limited (Opencart, Prestashop, CS-Cart and Magento are the only ones I know of with this feature), but for a stand alone, single store, you can really go a lot of different ways. So install what you think might work and test them out. Take a look at competitors sites in the same industry as your client, see what features they use that your clients want to have as well and that will give you a checklist to make sure the cart you are considering has them.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by dynamictemplate » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 am

I have tested Magento, Presta & Open Cart.
I felt that Magento is the powerful solution even it was pain for so many things, but finally I made it work out.
For big shopping cart, I would give rating to Magento.
For Medium and Small size, I would give rating to Open Cart.
For very very small size shop, I would use any plug in in WP.
For Presta, I am not sure enough.

Professional OpenCart Themes and OpenCart Templates at Dynamic Template

Post by labeshops » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:25 am

dynamictemplate wrote:I have tested Magento, Presta & Open Cart.
I felt that Magento is the powerful solution even it was pain for so many things, but finally I made it work out.
For big shopping cart, I would give rating to Magento.
For Medium and Small size, I would give rating to Open Cart.
For very very small size shop, I would use any plug in in WP.
For Presta, I am not sure enough.
Curious why you would choose Magento over Opencart for a big cart?

I agree on Magento being a pain in the **. Worked with it for about 6 months before I found Opencart - never did get to the point of being able to launch the store in Magento. Had my opencart store up and running in hours. Definitely a shorter learning curve on OC!

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by barnone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:24 am

When I first started my online commerce I tried several carts to include Presta, Zen, and a couple more I think. I never really got far with them, mostly just installed and checked them out and promptly deleted them from my server. When I installed Open Cart I knew I made a great choice. Fantastic interface, good aftermarket support, and great layout. I currently manage a friends webpage for them (Zen Cart) and it is substantially more difficult. The interface is difficult, but I can manage it now after a few hours of research.

Post by thinks » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:07 am

I've used PrestaShop for over a year; never again! It simply is not stable. LOOKS great, has some excellent features- but there are so many little bugs, and it is So frustrating to have your site ALMOST ready to go, then WHAM not working...

I then tried:
-- Joomla/VirtueMart; bit clunky but nice results;
-- BigCommerce- top-notch but you have to pay monthly...
--and then WOOHOO I stumbled upon OpenCart. AS GOOD AS BIG COMMERCE, but FREE! Also the huge range of mods often only cost about $10-$50 each, whereas PrestaShops's mods can be over $150. I would highly recommend OpenCart- it wins hands-down on design, usability, customisation of templates, mobile 'responsive' templates, payment gateways.... and STABLE!!!!!

Post by lovol » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:57 am

Opencart all the way.

I use OpenCart, and my friend uses Prestashop.

Prestoshop has some fantastic BACK END features, way advanced, like warehouse support (you tell it where your stock actually is! and you can 'move' it from one to another). Sounds great, now go set that up for your smallish site (< 500 products?)

In my opinion, go with what you can actually achive your short-mid term goals with. Then if you 'outgrow' opencart, pay someone to mod it for you, or think of changing, but I doubt you will, it've very good, and SOOO easy to change bits yourself if you know any programming, or so easy to pay someone to do it for you.

Post by dmsims » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:36 am

I have faced exactly the same question for a client

I have installed both and developed them both to a similar point

Both have very irritating bugs (sorry features!) but OC is better and more stable (and feels faster)

Bear in mind the cost of add ons to make it useable where OC the cost is lower

In the end OC won though it could benefit with some features from Prestashop :)

Post by Eiman » Wed May 29, 2013 6:45 pm

I think OpenCart has more features and opportunities for business growth.
I found this article, that clearly shows superiority of OpenCart.

Post by katherinetkey » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:19 pm

I am 100% for opencart. I have used both and i could say for sure that opencart was WAY easier to learn, setup, and get my store planning the shortest timeframe with no knowledge connected with eather. i installed prestashop, it had been too complacated, so my partner and i installed opencart, and received the shop going that same day.

Cms Consulting Open Text Partner Open Text

Post by toritran84 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:16 pm

thank for ìnfomation

Post by SelfSus » Thu May 15, 2014 2:57 pm

I ran my store on Magento for 2 years.
Getting it off the ground is a hassle and for a non Dev like me it was a massive learning curve.
Magento is top notch and comes with a whole range of awesome features, their reporting is really great, compared to OC. But you can buy great cost effective modules for OC that do the same job.
My problem was the upgrades, there were important security upgrades that had to be done on a regular basis. Every time I did an upgrade it broke the site, spent more time fixing stuff the upgrade broke than enjoying the upgrade.

Did the change to OC 3 years ago (I PS and OC running for a few weeks to test.... frankly PS is a PoS)

Actually helped a friend last night delete his Magento installation and introduced him to OC... he walked away smiling ;D

At the end of the day EVERY ecomm platform has it's Pro's and Con's.

OC just has a lot fewer Cons than most, but if you want to find something to bitch about you can. It's an attitude that you choose.

Selfsustainable farmer living the dream. http://www.livingseeds.co.za

Location - ZA

Post by reda » Wed May 13, 2015 11:43 pm

SelfSus wrote: frankly PS is a PoS)
You made my day. Can't agree more. PS, PoS, lol

Prestashop code is spaghetti, horrible.

Support team is bad..they answer you after 2 weeks or more.

There search engine called prediggo is the worst thing I've seen in my life. Search for a module with a particular keyword, it responds with themes and other unrelated modules. I am unable to find my module unless I use exact module name as search keyword.

Stick with OC, simple to use and easy to learn even if there are some bugs there, they get fixed on github, moreover the community is really active and you can find help quickly. Also, the oc extensions store is vibrant and cheap.

Cheers,

Post by juliadomi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:01 pm

I prefer Opencart, Prestashop is one of the worst cms I've used because for every change or function you had to add, you have to buy another extension and another, and another... At least it will be more expensive and to much difficult to make a clean code website.

Masajes kinnarimasajes.

Post by lz1nud » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:34 am

I have never used prestashop, but have looked into their site. I noticed that extensions are twise more expensive than the ones for OC. No idea why.

Sky-Mag Bulgaria

Location - Bulgaria

Post by D3MO » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:40 am

for simple thing it is harder to make extensions for prestashop:) and not everyone who knows php can make xx extension just looking at the code after installation:) on prestashop you as developer must spend quite a lot more time to get used to the code:) and how it works. another thing that i came to that the prestashop and magento is mostly used by companies (not individuals) so companies do not play the game who is cheaper x extension 5$ cheaper or y extension 10$ more expensive.

but when it comes to selecting presta shop , magento or opencart opencart is nr1 if :

1) you want the web shop as fast as possible running
2) you don't have unlimited budget to get the features you need (here is a lot of great developers providing almost all features the user may imagine on the opencart marketplace:))
3) opencart is very intuitive and not filled with features users do not need mostly(leaving space for developers to offer more features as extensions:) and for shop owners to select only the ones they need to match their business idea

lz1nud wrote:I have never used prestashop, but have looked into their site. I noticed that extensions are twise more expensive than the ones for OC. No idea why.

Opencart Expert | voldemaras@gmail.com
Skype - programanija | Gtalk - voldemaras@gmail.com
Extensions for Opencart @ https://www.opencartextensions.eu / or Opencart Marketplace

Need Custom Module? debug third party module or simply have any question related to Opencart? feel free to contact directly for a live chat session:) - INSTANT LIVE CHAT